I understand the off side rule, but WHY does it exist ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it due to goal hogging ? I understand what the rule is, it is just trying to work out why the need for it that stumps me. Anyone know ?

Comments

• DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would really like to see a game like this, with top players involved, just to see what would happen.

I guess the general thinkijg is it would completely change the way the game is played, pretty much bypassing the need for a midfield with just long balls being played constantly into the box for the goal hangers to knock in.

Maybe as technology changes, the current rule could be adapted so you could maybe have say two attacking players allowed in an "offside position" at all times, or something like that
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all sports have an offside rule, don't they?

rugby, American football, ice hockey. you need a rule of some sort, I think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all sports have an offside rule,

ALL? :o
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, its to stop players just lopping the ball the length of the pitch to the strikers.... The game would be much more boring without the ru;le
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the offside rule should start 2/3 of the way up the pitch instead of the halfway line, to stop the game being squeezed so much.

I wonder what ever happened to the "daylight" rule?

These days, if you put your hand or toe after the last defender, you are ruled offside. It ruins the game. The refs always give the defenders the benefit of the doubt.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trialled an offside line level with the edge of the penalty area in the Anglo Italian cup in the early 70's

As John Burridge would point out in his book, this made for some entertaining, open and attacking football with high-scoring games as teams looked to gain extra points, especially in Blackpool’s 1972 campaign when they beat Vicenza 10-0 in a group game. If this would not create enough excitement curiously the offside rule was doctored to ensure it was only restricted to the penalty box. Innovation was clearly the buzzword of the day as for the first time five substitutes were named and two could be used in an era where just one emergency sub was usually named. Furthermore position numbering of shirts from 1-11 was boycotted in favour of a modern squad system.

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/the-anglo-italian-cup-romantic-ridiculous-utterly-missed/

Don't think it could have been positively received as I can't recall it being repeated elsewhere
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have to question its existence, you don't really understand it.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Perhaps the offside rule should start 2/3 of the way up the pitch instead of the halfway line, to stop the game being squeezed so much.

I wonder what ever happened to the "daylight" rule?

These days, if you put your hand or toe after the last defender, you are ruled offside. It ruins the game. The refs always give the defenders the benefit of the doubt.

It has to be a part off the body you can score with
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all sports have an offside rule, don't they?

rugby, American football, ice hockey. you need a rule of some sort, I think

I don't think I have come across it in cricket. Or snooker.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rule was introduduced in the early days of the game back in the nineteenth century, it has
    been changed since, originally it was 3 defenders between the attacker and the goal line, in the 1920's it was changed to 2 and resulted in many more goals being scored, there have also been other tweaks since then.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't think I have come across it in cricket. Or snooker.

Or darts! Quite how someone would be offside when throwing their darts is beyond my comprehension! :D
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    It has to be a part off the body you can score with

What happened to the daylight "rule"?
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or darts! Quite how someone would be offside when throwing their darts is beyond my comprehension! :D

The pack of **** must have at least two pints ahead of it on their tables
  • orange_crushorange_crush Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without it strikers would just poach, causing defences to not be able to play a high line. You'd end up with each team putting five players in each penalty box and the defenders just hoofing the ball up the park whenever they get the chance.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    It allows the defenders to play a high line/get forward instead of just sitting back on the 18 or even 6 yard line out of fear of a tap in.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Field) hockey abolished offside about 10 years ago and have never looked back. Very rarely get players goal-hanging!

Also introduced is the self-pass and wonder if football would benefit from that.....player fouled gets up and runs away with the ball and can't be challenged for 5m, doesn't half concentrate the minds of defenders who have to play on instead of winging at the refs.

Compared with how quickly games like hockey, cricket, rugby etc innovate and move on (although not necessarily for the better, but you don't know unless you try) it's amazing that the world's most popular game stays stuck in the 50's.

I would deffo trial rotating subs, self pass, no offside and video referrals in a minor footy competition (maybe the lower-league trophy) but not all at the same time! Start with no offside and see how it goes!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not stuck in the 50s. Why would the world's most popular game wish to copy hockey?
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    It's not stuck in the 50s. Why would the world's most popular game wish to copy hockey?

To make it better/faster/get decisions right? At least GLT's a start! But I do think offside is something that can go. No reason not to trial it properly.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How positively shit would a game be if the offside rule was abolished? I'd rather not see defenders lumping it time and again to a goal-hanging striker.

Defenders would have to constantly be camped on the edge of their own area.
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely offside is there in order to give TV pundits more ammunition with which to criticise the officials.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    By not being behind the oche.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Football without the offside rule is the game 8 year olds play. It would be very amusing to see it but the game would simply end up as a series of 80 yard punts, with a massed dash back and forth with a brawl at either end
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    To make it better/faster/get decisions right? At least GLT's a start! But I do think offside is something that can go. No reason not to trial it properly.

The offside rule protects defences but also allows forwards to beat it. Remove offside and teams will camp in defence out of fear.

There's no reason to trial it. Hockey isn't a reason.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought only the most blatant offsides should be given offside.

If a player makes a decent run past the defender and is say only a foot offside it should be allowed.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    I've always thought only the most blatant offsides should be given offside.

If a player makes a decent run past the defender and is say only a foot offside it should be allowed.

So you think a linesman should be judging if a player is 12 inches offside so no flag or 13 inches and the flag goes up? That would be impossible to judge (just in front is hard enough) and would make the game a farce.