channel changes!! on BBC

dollymix53dollymix53 Posts: 9,116
Forum Member
Why =0=why do the BBC keep changing the schedule! They have moved the One Show to BBC 2 and put the tennis on 1 when it was showing on 2:confused: why not just leave it as it was. Just don't get it.

Comments

• JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know absolutely ridiculous. I'm watching with the sound off and suddenly it changed to Glastonbury

They changed channels in the middle of a game the other day.

What is the point?
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Every year we get this when Andy Murray is playing. We now await the time that Eastenders will show up. Currently scheduled for 8pm this will update every half hour or so until this match ends or it gets too late to play. It is even worse since they had the roof fitted so play can go on after dark. Expect Eastenders at around 9.30!
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about all the people who have set their timers for the respective programmes? Those who have set for BBC 1 One Show will now have tennis on their recorder & those who wanted the tennis (by setting the timer for BBC 2) will now have The One Show. Absolute madness BBC! Whoever took this decision should be put in the stocks outside the BBC TV centre for a week!
  • dollymix53dollymix53 Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    It's so annoying, and there's no football today, just don't know why they need to change it.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could understand it if it was a quarter or a semi but a 3rd round match, don't get it.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same complaint year after year. Same explanation for it year after year.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Apparently more people watch BBC1. Seemingly it hasn't occured to anyone at the BBC or the viewers that a remote control can change the channel with a push of a button.

At above though, it'll keep happening. :-/
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could understand it if it was a quarter or a semi but a 3rd round match, don't get it.
    I'm a tennis fan and enjoying the match but I fully agree with those who are annoyed or not fans of it.

There was no need to switch to BBC1 from BBC2 where it was scheduled. It is not even at the business end of Wimbledon, quarters, semis or final. It is the 3rd round against a player even this fan knows nothing about and it is clearly going to be a straightforward straight sets win of no particular distinction for Murray and nothing too remarkable, just another day at the office kind of match.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The positive is ratings, the negative is public annoyance.

One they care about and the other they don't.

This switch-over is completely crazy though. BBC bosses just do things by the manual now. The manual says "put Murray in the BBC1 spotlight", so they do. If they had any judgement they would not do it in this case, or in any other case.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As 99.9% of the UK population can receive both BBC1 and 2 (BBC figures) I see no point whatsoever in switching between the two channels.BBC1 should have stuck with its advertised schedule as should BBC2 (which was Wimbledon). It's bad enough having tennis on 1 and 2 all afternoon in any case - I thought BBC2 was an alternative to 1 (and please don't tell me they show different tennis games).
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    zandar wrote: »
    What about all the people who have set their timers for the respective programmes?
    All I can suggest for the duration of Wimbledon is to record both BBC1 and BBC2 for the times when your programmes are due to be shown. Of course if they start mucking around with changing things to the BBC 3 and the Red Button (which has happened in previous years) you are going to need another recorder or several to be able to fully cover their bouts of idiocy.
    Forum Member
    Nt sure what it's like on Freeview and Virgin etc. but on Sky the BBC have added 6 Red Button streams for Winbledon and Glastonbury.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple answer is, that they do it in an attempt to maximise the ratings.
    As far as they are concerned, they advise the public about the changes as they happen.
    Whether there are people at work, or wherever and have set their recorders for a particular time, doesn't matter to them.
    It's their BBC and they do as they please.
    What are you gonna do about it if you don't like it?
    Stop watching their programmes?
    You still have to pay for your TV licence.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moan moan, the sheep baa their well worn mantra during wimbledon.

Listen hard and listen good, coz I'm not going to repeat this.

The facts prove that more people watch 1 than 2 , always have, always will, I don't know why, but this has been the case since BBC2 was instigated.

The boss of BBC1 would lose his job if he didn't secure the highest ratings for the corporation, think about it FFS !!!

Who the hell watches The One Show anyway ?
    Forum Member
    The facts might change if they stop taking programmes from BBC2 and put them on BBC1.

It's always going to have better ratings if they keep changing the schedules to put what people want to watch on the better ratings channel.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Moan moan, the sheep baa their well worn mantra during wimbledon.

Listen hard and listen good, coz I'm not going to repeat this.

The facts prove that more people watch 1 than 2 , always have, always will, I don't know why, but this has been the case since BBC2 was instigated.

The boss of BBC1 would lose his job if he didn't secure the highest ratings for the corporation, think about it FFS !!!

Who the hell watches The One Show anyway ?

The boss of BBC1 is a woman
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I watch Wimbledon every year. It really doesn't bother me when they swop programmes around between BBC1 and 2, as when the tennis is on there's never anything on the other BBC channels I find I want to watch anyway.
    I rarely watch either of those channels if their isn't tennis or sport on.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    It is simply because of human/viewer stupidity. Even these days if someone puts on BBC1 and the tennis is not there some people actually don't check BBC2 and assume it is not on.

As they assume more watch tennis than One show or EE then they give Andy Murray preference, Non brits then they go on BBC2
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically the BBC don't want Andy Murray's match on BBC2 while Eastenders is on BBC1. They are quite happy to annoy people to avoid that clash. It doesn't bother me as I don't watch either, but it bothered my wife who has just come in from work and wanted to watch the EE ep she recorded and got tennis instead.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outside of industry luvvies, the ratings issue means nothing. Joe Public isn't going to be the slightest bit bothered if BBC2 had more viewers than BBC1. WHy would they?

To the majority of ordinary viewers, the channels are more or less equal. BBC1 always sits next to BBC2 in any lisings guide, anyway. It matters little whether a programme is on 1 or 2. The only reason BBC1 gets big ratings is beacuse, as someone said earlier, they keep moving anything popular on BBC2 to BBC1 (except Top Gear for some reason).

Changing schedules at the last minute, however, is one thing that really does rile people.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less about all this as I find Wimbledon more tedious than watching paint dry and I wouldn't be caught watching The One Show if my life depended on it. However my own gripe was the other evening when the BBC were supposed to be relaying a World Cup match on their red button stream with 5 Live commentary, which is how I like to watch the football. I tuned in whilst the national anthems were being played to find a tennis match still on the red button stream - now, funnily enough, although it wasn't what I wanted, I had little problem with this as I recognise that they couldn't just leave a tennis match which many viewers were enjoying to provide secondary coverage of football - of-course the radio commentary is still available on (shock horror!) a radio, but the problem these days is synchronising radio and TV, which is why they offer it on the red button. But then the tennis match finished, you saw the players leave the court, and for several minutes they showed some revolving Wimbledon logo before eventually going over to the football. If they hadn't done this, they could just about have got to the match in time for kick off.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not have dedicated sport only channels,then we would not have this upset to schedules every year.Both BBC and ITV could have their number three channels,which have poor viewing figures anyway.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same complaint year after year. Same explanation for it year after year.

Yep, that's right.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    Why not have dedicated sport only channels,then we would not have this upset to schedules every year.Both BBC and ITV could have their number three channels,which have poor viewing figures anyway.

Not this old chestnut again, it was put on BBC-1 to get the viewers you think people will turn to a dedicated sports channel if they can't even find a number 2:confused:

Every July Wimbledon takes over for two weeks there is nothing you can do about it except WATCH ANOTHER CHANNEL!
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    What was inexplicable that I tuned in at 8 for Today at Wimbledon and got some random programme.

Then they followed that with a 5 minute edition of Coast followed by the tennis.

John Inverdale apologised because they were pushed for time so couldn't show as much as they wanted.

They could have gained at least 5 minutes by not showing the Coast programme. >:(