How long does it take for you to adapt to a new doctor (part 2)....

chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
Forum Member
As this series develops, capaldi is really beginning to grow on me as the doctor & i especially love how he has taken on a different persona as opposed to his predecessors. The only gripe is I do feel he has been let down by some stories so far which i haven't bothered to re-watch, but like matt smith, his acting & take on the doctor made up for the disappointing story.

As has been discussed before on other threads, the way around this is to cut out the awful stories* & turn the better stories into 2 parters.

*but what i & others might consider an awful story, others may enjoy.

Comments

• jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not long for myself Depends on who it is in the role, I always give them a chance :)

its normally by the end of their debut episode I take to them
    With Matt I personally from first look at him wasn't fond of him but I give a shot and the second he put on the bowtie and jacket and just went "Hello I'm the Doctor!" I was hooked :)

now even before peter was announced and I just saw him on the bookies odds list I just thought "YES YES YES hes just perfect for it" I don't know why but he was the Doctor from the second I saw him :) and he certainly lived up to my expectations and beyond that :),

but that's my opinion on it :)
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the past 3 it was very quick. Chris was his 'do you want to come with me?' ad. Both David and Matt is was their post regen scene. They just clicked for me. Peter still hasn't and I suspect he never will. I just don't enjoy 12 as a character or find him interesting so I've failed to make any connection with him at all. I was genuinely sorry to see the other 3 go, I wouldn't be with 12.

So normally I get used to them very quickly despite missing the previous guy. It's just down to how well they engage me with the performance.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I remember thinking as a small child that it was odd when the real Doctor suddenly turned into Tristan Farnham from All Creatures Great and Small, but then I adjusted, as I always loved Tristan. I can very clearly remember Peter Davidson turning into Colin Baker. Quite soon after I stopped watching, though I can't remember why this long after.

Eccleston won me over from his first word. That first series was thrilling. I was excited about Tennant (been a massive fan of Tennant since Taking over the Asylum) but imagined him as a lovably-grumpy, scruffy Scottish Doctor, so it took me a tiny bit of time to adjust. I loved his big speech at the end of the Christmas one and then I think it was him in the Library in the second episode (the werewolf one) where he really won me over and I stopped missing the Doctor I thought he'd be. I liked Matt Smith from the Eleventh Hour. I have struggled with the writing since Moffat took over, but I always felt that Matt Smith was the best thing about his episodes. Peter Capaldi - not there yet. But I'm hopeful that this week (if there really is very little Clara) that it will have to be an episode focussing on the Doctor himself and we might get to understand him more. I'm very keen to like Capaldi, but sadly the great appeal this series has for many is passing me by.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I wasn't born when the original series was on, my first Doctor was Christopher Ecclestone and I loved him very very dearly! So when David Tennant came along I didn't really like him at all. In fact when I watch back Parting of the Ways back even now I don't like David Tennant turning up at the end! I didn't really warm to him till Girl in the Fireplace. I loved Matt Smith the minute he appeared but that might be down to getting pretty tired of Tennant by the time Smith came along, though I firmly believe Smith was wonderful, and despite him doing a couple of series I was sorry to see him go. Though I loved Capaldi even before I saw his first scene! I just knew I'd find him brilliant and he's exceeded even that expectation.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I was fine with the classic series up until Colin Baker. I don't remember but my late Dad told me that I been practically hypnotised by the show since the first episode started when I was three years old. I actually preferred Patrick T and took to him instantly - same with Jon P. I didn't need to "accept" Tom cos they announced his getting the role the day after I'd been to the pictures and seen him as the baddie in a Sinbad film - and loved him - and he didn't let me down. I was gutted when he left and not that keen on a soppy-looking young Doctor but Peter D did extremely well at grabbing the role so no problem there.

I'd had the usual mix of sadness to see the last one go and end excitement to see what the new one would add - and then when CB took over, I stopped watch DW after a few weeks cos I couldn't stand his version of the Doctor - and still can't. (I've said before that I was also old enough to have "other interests" by then - but I have tried watching CB since then and he just irritates me)

With the 2005 relaunch - took Eccles to heart instantly (love that opening - all about Rose and suddenly, there he is) - VERY sorry that he didn't stay for at least another year. With David, the quips and smiles immediately after regenerating were great and made me want to see more - his first episode was odd for him barely being in it but the "action man" scene followed by the sudden flip to "Mister Serious" was brilliant and I was hooked.

Matt's the oddball - not only was I not keen on him, I thought they'd turned DW into a kids' show with the first couple of episodes (with the "sexy cop kissogram" to keep Dad's quiet). I started appreciating him when he lost it and beat the crap out of the obsequious Dalek and he quickly became my favourite Doctor ever.

Up to date and Capaldi. I can't say how long it took to accept him - cos it hasn't happened yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First memory of the programme is Tom Baker regenerating into Peter Davison so I was pretty excited by the concept of regeneration from the start.

Accepted Peter Davison no problem - he's "my" Doctor.

I don't really remember Colin Baker that much the first time around, my mum used to take me and my sister into town every saturday afternoon and wasn't home in time for the programme (no video in those days), and I was at Scouts when his second series was on in midweek.

Took to Syvester McCoy straight away - though when I came back to the programme a few years later I reviesed my opinion of his earlier stuff.

Paul McGann got me from the word go.

Christopher Eccelston didn't grab me, until he started playing with the cards in Rose's flat.

David Tennant got me before the end of The Parting Of The Ways.

Matt Smith totally nailed it in The Eleventh Hour.

Peter Capaldi I liked from the start, but he's lost it a bit as he's got a bit too cold for me in recent weeks - though I think they're going somewhere with this, so I'm reserving judgement completly until the end of this series at least.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    It's weird, although I loved Eccleston's performance, it didn't feel too Doctorish to me - but as it was the start of a new generation, I was prepared to accept that this is the way it was going to be.
    Tennant took a little bit more getting used to - his 'Lion King' speech had me punching the air, it took a little longer for me to properly get used to him - but Matt Smith made me giddy like a child from his first scenes. He hit all the right notes for the sillier mad-professor Second/Seventh-type Doctors, with much of Tennant's charisma and a bit of Five's vulnerability.

Capaldi hits a different set of notes, but they're still very distinctively Doctorish (more First, Third and Fourth), while bringing back a bit of Nine's prickliness. While he doesn't have the charm we've come to expect, I don't have any problem thinking of him as the Doctor.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you normally have to do is you have to have an addressed letter with your name on. It can be a bill or a letter from your employer. I can't remember whether you need some form of photo identification as well but I would take that just in case. Then they would book you an appointment and hand you a small bottle with a screw on lid. They then ask you to bring along a water sample and label it with your name using the stickers provided. Now what they are asking for is your urine sample and not a sample from your tap. You should do this just before you leave to go to your appointment.
    During your appointment they'll ask a few questions about your medical history and family's medical history. They will measure and weigh you and take your blood pressure.