Man United Supporters Thread (Part 28)

Comments

• BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...has there been a tiff?

I'm terribly disappointed to have missed it, if so.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Rumours that Fabio's loan to Benfica has fallen through so we're trying to shunt him off to QPR.

I think it shows it's a 'get rid' mindset we have as opposed to the positive spin of 'He'd really benefit from first team football in another country'

Haven't we learnt our lesson with QPR and loans of our players??
    It would be sad to see him go, I just wonder what impact it would have on Rafael, if his brother and twin were to leave?
    ...has there been a tiff?

I'm terribly disappointed to have missed it, if so.

It is just me and Canty showering each other with our love as usual.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The lack of self awareness is impressive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The lack of self awareness is impressive.

Thanks honey! :p

I was going to say same time tomorrow, but since it is past midnight, same time today seems more correct! :D;)
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clash of the titans
  • ThePhotographerThePhotographer Posts: 3,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours that Fabio's loan to Benfica has fallen through so we're trying to shunt him off to QPR.

I think it shows it's a 'get rid' mindset we have as opposed to the positive spin of 'He'd really benefit from first team football in another country'

Fabio is rumoured to of rejected the switch to Benfica. It's possible that a list of clubs is made of potential clubs as to where a loan is suitable.

Given Hughes is manager of QPR and Fergie know him as well as possible first team action at Premier League level for Fabio on regular basis then that will be good.

Macheda didn't get game time under Hughes because he was a loan signing that Hughes did not make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clash of the titans

I am sure other people would have other words to call us than titans! :D;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well done!

It is about time eh?! :D;)
  • SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,537
    Forum Member
    Well done!

It is about time eh?! :D;)

It is. Thought this was our best shot at a win and we got it. We still now hold the record for worst start to a season ever.

Even better, we won the Canadian Championship (which is only 4 teams) earlier in the week so despite our 1-0-9 record we are now in the CONCACAF Champions League! :D:D

It's a shame UEFA works differently as it'd be hilarious if Wolves would manage a Champions League spot by winning the FA Cup!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is. Thought this was our best shot at a win and we got it. We still now hold the record for worst start to a season ever.

Even better, we won the Canadian Championship (which is only 4 teams) earlier in the week so despite our 1-0-9 record we are now in the CONCACAF Champions League! :D:D

It's a shame UEFA works differently as it'd be hilarious if Wolves would manage a Champions League spot by winning the FA Cup!

To be fair the Canadian Championship is at the same level as the Lancashire Senior Cup, and just below the Manchester Senior Cup! ;)
    It would be like Bury qualifying for the Champions League, by winning one of those competitions!
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We can always give him to Everton....
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    To be fair the Canadian Championship is at the same level as the Lancashire Senior Cup, and just below the Manchester Senior Cup! ;)
    It would be like Bury qualifying for the Champions League, by winning one of those competitions!

It ain't that bad, well OK it is.. However the City of Champions hasn't really got it's "soccer" team together. However they did make a vailient effort in reaching the final 4. Once our new arena is built, the baseball team and the soccer team should look for new stadiums and higher leagues to play in.
    Forum Member
    With regards Fabio, wasn't the loan to Benfica in some way seen as a bit of a sweetener for any deal including Gaitan? That's how I saw it anyway, but with our sights now set on Hazard and/or Kagawa it doesn't suprise me that this deal has fallen.

Sending him to QPR may well be a good move, as one thing is for sure Hughes will toughen him up. Plus I suspect he'll get more games playing in 3 positions during the season, be it left back, left midfield or central midfield.

I don't see this as Fergie trying to get rid, rather than a genuine attempt to get him a run of games whilst gaining some experience. You have to remember that as kids once they signed for us, they didn't play for like a year as the team in Brazil refused to play them. They came to us and whilst Rafa impressed at right back where we had some trouble, he was out injured a fair bit as was Fabio, but of course he was behind Evra. Unlike some of our other younger players, neither of the twins have had any senior football outside of Old Trafford. Plus, we've all seen the decline in Evra, I suspect Fergie has too, and is going to give him this up coming season I guess to try and sort himself and his game out, before possibly thanking him and sending him on his way this time next year.
    Forum Member
    I agree with what you are saying Trbec however i really don't see how it fits with a new left back coming in.

If we sign a player and he does well Fabio is screwed regardless of what he does out on loan.
    Forum Member
    I agree with what you are saying Trbec however i really don't see how it fits with a new left back coming in.

If we sign a player and he does well Fabio is screwed regardless of what he does out on loan.

I'm not so sure. Fabio has played in midfield a lot for the reserves, and can be deployed as either full back and I'm sure on the wings. Fabio is better in the middle of the pitch than Rafa, so don't take Rafa's showing against Blackburn as to how good Fabio will be.

I'm not so sure we'll bring in a left back in the summer, I think Fergie may run with a few youth team players and/or one of our other defenders be it Evans or Smalling perhaps as left back cover. At a stretch, he could ask Giggs to drop back, I suppose. Evra's track record and here I go cursing him now, with injury has been rather good. I'm trying to think if he's had any big injuries, and I can't recall any. Fergie may well bank on him staying fit for the majority of the season.

Fabio is obviously rated, or he wouldn't have started the 09 CL final ahead of Rafael, and wouldn't have got his first Brazil cap before his brother either. He was the one described as being the better of the two, but his development has been stunted by his bad luck with injuries. A decent run of games to build him up, both strength and confidence will do him the world of good. Also being away from Rafael, as that's something that's never happened, so it will help both of them in that respect.
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. Fabio has played in midfield a lot for the reserves, and can be deployed as either full back and I'm sure on the wings. Fabio is better in the middle of the pitch than Rafa, so don't take Rafa's showing against Blackburn as to how good Fabio will be.

I'm not so sure we'll bring in a left back in the summer, I think Fergie may run with a few youth team players and/or one of our other defenders be it Evans or Smalling perhaps as left back cover. At a stretch, he could ask Giggs to drop back, I suppose. Evra's track record and here I go cursing him now, with injury has been rather good. I'm trying to think if he's had any big injuries, and I can't recall any. Fergie may well bank on him staying fit for the majority of the season.

Fabio is obviously rated, or he wouldn't have started the 09 CL final ahead of Rafael, and wouldn't have got his first Brazil cap before his brother either. He was the one described as being the better of the two, but his development has been stunted by his bad luck with injuries. A decent run of games to build him up, both strength and confidence will do him the world of good. Also being away from Rafael, as that's something that's never happened, so it will help both of them in that respect.

Oh i think Fabio is rated tbh. I just wonder if, as you say, there is a plan to not sign a left back. Im really not sure.

It makes no sense whatsoever to loan out Fabio and then bring in anyone who could potential leap-frog him in the pecking order.

I would actually rather keep him and give him 20 games than loan him out to a lesser team where he may get 40 games.
    Forum Member
    Our sights are clearly set a lot higher but if we needed a shorter term front man off the front man type player i have to say i really like Landon Donovan. He scored a hat-trick against Scotland last night (hardly a ringing endorsement i must admit!) and when i saw him at Everton he always looked like he should be a a higher level.

Pointless post in many ways, I'm not saying we should sign him or anything but i really do rate him.
    Forum Member
    Oh i think Fabio is rated tbh. I just wonder if, as you say, there is a plan to not sign a left back. Im really not sure.

It makes no sense whatsoever to loan out Fabio and then bring in anyone who could potential leap-frog him in the pecking order.

I would actually rather keep him and give him 20 games than loan him out to a lesser team where he may get 40 games.

It's where those 20 games would come from? Carling Cup for sure, but at the most we be sure of 1 game, the same with the FA cup. A player of his quality isn't going to go out on loan and not be played like some our previous attempts. Benfica would have been ideal, really. However, a QPR would be fine or even if Baines does leave Everton, and not for us, send him to them for a season. That we know who he'll be playing with and against and we'd include a call back clause in Jan if we have to bring him back due to injuries.
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    It's where those 20 games would come from? Carling Cup for sure, but at the most we be sure of 1 game, the same with the FA cup. A player of his quality isn't going to go out on loan and not be played like some our previous attempts. Benfica would have been ideal, really. However, a QPR would be fine or even if Baines does leave Everton, and not for us, send him to them for a season. That we know who he'll be playing with and against and we'd include a call back clause in Jan if we have to bring him back due to injuries.

He would have to play League games i guess. I wasn't meaning League Cup. If we bring in anyone of substance at left back we can't do it on the basis of "oh well, you'll be first choice in the cups" so whatever promises we would make to a new signing could easily be made to Fabio.

In an ideal world we would still have John O'Shea (theres a sentence you don't type very often!), could loan out Fabio for a full season of games and drop O'Shea in at left back when Patrice needs a break.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't think we should be loaning Fabio out at all, last season we got really, really, really, really lucky that Evra (dispite his up and down performence levels), didn't get a serious injury or suspension. What happens if he does this following season while Fabio is out on loan?
    Do we play Fryers? As he is our only other recognised left-back at the club, unless there is the option of, I don't know, playing Park at left back?

That is why if Fabio goes on loan, we should bring a left back in, as we cannot rely on Evra having that same injury/suspension luck, but also to rotate hin, for every other position, we have players that we can rotate around, to give people breathers, and time for them to re-charge their energy, execpt for left-back, so it would make perfect sense to sign a left-back.

Plus, haven't we already had this discussion last week?? I am getting a major sense of de ja vu!!
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recent paper rumours have suggested that we are going after Baines, and Everton are going to make a move for Richardson from Sunderland. Like Baines we need something else besides Evra.
    Forum Member
    toastie15 wrote: »
    Recent paper rumours have suggested that we are going after Baines, and Everton are going to make a move for Richardson from Sunderland. Like Baines we need something else besides Evra.

If we sign Baines who is our first choice left back?
    Forum Member
    Do we play Fryers?

Actually yeah, why not? He has looked very good when he has played. Its only full back, we aren't asking him to lead the line or marshall a defence so why not give him his head if Evra is out or needs a rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie15 wrote: »

Richardson in for Baines at Everton, doesn't really make much sense, as he (Richardson), isn't what I would personally class as a defender, so I would worry about Everton's left hand side.
    But hey, Moyes is a good manager, so he must have a plan that I am not aware of in my sleepy state this morning.:o
This discussion has been closed.