Being prevented from taking photos outside a train station in London

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iannai wrote: »
    I've taken loads of pictures and video of security equipment on various stations with my mobile. No-one stopped me, because they couldn't tell what I was doing - I was just holding a phone.

It makes me laugh. As if potential terrorists would turn up with a big fancy camera, blatantly taking pictures of stuff they shouldn't. They would do it covertly (if, indeed taking photos of CCTV cameras is a terrorists "thing" - I wonder what possible use these photos could be to someone who intends to blow himself sky high with a back pack anyway).

Just another set of petty "laws" to keep us all in our place and condition us to accept that low-level council staff like traffic wardens (oh, sorry they've changed their name - "civil enforcement officers") are being given more and more powers to stop us and question our actions. IMHO of course.
    Having the right to remove someone from your property is not a "petty law". I have used in on several occasions.

Could you post some of these pictures online you have taken on your mobile phone?

In regard to the security reasons, obviously no one thought the OP was a terrorist, he was never quizzed, just asked to leave. It simply appears that someone who works for NR does
    not want anyone taking "odd" photos in the station.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    I was never stopped at glasgow central, or preston from taking pictures, even getting of the train at manchester airport, no one challenge me to stop taking pictures

Now Im just wonder if its a london thing, and maybe cpo just over reacting at these train stations, maybe they think were up to no good

There one thing I would like to ask the cpo is, when you go on holiday, do you take any photos, now Im sure they will have taken many pictures, and some I would consider to be like the one were discussing

There are some impressive train stations out there, and you would want a picture for your holiday snaps, one train station I have been in was milan, and its so beautifull, me and my brother kept on taking picures

If there is going to be an overreaction you would expect in to be in London. If there is going to be an overreaction in London you would expect a main line station to be where it happened.

if they thought he was up to no good, then they should not have let him go.

As I said all along, some station staff member appeares to be uncomfortable about people taking "odd photographs", and rather than simply stop people with beards,rucksacks and brown colour skin taking them, he applies the same rules to all.

The OP was asked to stop and he kicked up a fuss because his parents told him "always to ask questions". The PCO were called to assist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the station staff have no authority in the street.
  • Options
    biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    So, are you happy for me to ignore your rules (cc license)?

I accept that some people will and do copy my work, sometimes without even crediting me. That's life.

When I had my first band back in the early 80s I didn't sign any of the record label contracts that were chasing us, because all the contracts were obsessed with copyright, which I considered to be an outdated concept even then.
    You smiled at them, and ignored them. You're the one that said you ignored them, or were you not telling the truth? If you weren't telling the truth then, what reason is there to think you're telling the truth now?

Well your honour, it's like this, I acknowledged their presence. Even though I was under NO obligation to engage with them at all. But I am generally a friendly person. I engage with lots of strangers every day.

But as already stated I ignored them in the sense that I didn't stop what I was doing. I had no reason to stop.
    Given what you said, they were clearly trying to communicate with you - this, you ignored. That's rude and sets a confrontational tone to the encounter.

I am under no obligation to communicate with anyone. People in uniforms tend to assume that they are somehow in a higher position than non-uniformed people. So sometimes they have to be dealt with a little more firmly.

But I was polite enough.

You weren't there, so you have no idea what went on. Though you give me the impression that you have a slightly obsessive agenda to try and discredit me somehow.
    I don't think so. You go and empty your bin, your front door is open while you do, and I nip in through it, go to your alarm control box (let's assume you have one) and start photographing the wiring. Wiring can be interesting. I'm sure you'd object.

I'd object to you entering my home. The photographs I don't give a toss about. And no I don't have an alarm.
    Not a very good way, and a way that paints photographers in a bad light.

That's your opinion. I disagree.
    I didn't suggest personal sympathy, I was referring to sympathy for your position (often referred to as "understanding". Sometimes "agreement"). If you didn't want that, you'd not have posted - unless the encounter left you feeling somewhat impotent in that you were unable to assert your will over the PCSOs, thus decided to carry on the fight here?

I very definitely asserted my will over the CSOs. There is NO doubt about that.
    I posted simply to share the documented experience.
    You're not a photographer? Then put the camera away. I'm a human being and a photographer. You're making both of those elements of me look bad.

In your opinion.
    Heck, you're talking to (one of) the most militantly-pro-photography-rights peeps on the forum, (with the exclusion of the UrbEx guys), and you can't even convince me that your conduct was fair.

Luckily I've NEVER needed anyone's approval to live my life the way that I choose to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nedchester wrote: »
    Oh and are these your speakers (from the National Rail website!!)

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/KGX/images/photos/800/o2248-0000089.jpg

Yes That's them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    So why when I asked you if it was ok to pick and choose which rules you want to abide by - you replied with

"Yes I can. And I DO."

Seems that rules are indeed at the very heart of this issue.

No, rules were just a part of your question that I answered.

I would say the issues are: the enclosure of our public spaces, and Power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be living in a dream world if you believe people can be trusted to co exist peacefully if there are no rules in place.

I sincerely believe that Love is the Law, and from that ONE law all else naturally falls into place. There will always be problems, there will always be predators amongst us, or people who are desperate, or who have lost their way. But I believe that compassion is the answer to all those challenges.

You seem to accept that Theft is wrong, yet it is very common, and some people will argue they have a right to take what they want.

Some of those thieves are very powerful corporations, backed by the state and the police and the army etc.
    It seems you actually want your own rules to apply, not a free for all.

I want people to feel empowered. I don't want our lives to be dominated by the sort of people who tend to be attracted to power: the functioning psychopaths and the corruptible.
    Paedophiles always try to claim they do no wrong, but I doubt you want the rules lifting on that. Same will apply to many other things.

Please, not the Peedos AND the terrorists. Someone will be mentioning Hitler next :)
    This was an innocent enquiry that could have been peacefully resolved, but, on your own admission, you lost your temper. Hardly trying to co exist with other people in the way you seem so keen on.

I do not pretend to be perfect. I do not expect to be perfect. But I make a consistent effort every day to be a friendly, active and honest citizen.

Plus, people in uniforms sometimes need to be dealt with a little more assertively. I gave the CSOs an opportunity to leave me alone. And then their petty absurdity and unnecessary interference annoyed me.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biomorph04 wrote: »
    I sincerely believe that Love is the Law, and from that ONE law all else naturally falls into place. There will always be problems, there will always be predators amongst us, or people who are desperate, or who have lost their way. But I believe that compassion is the answer to all those challenges.

Some of those thieves are very powerful corporations, backed by the state and the police and the army etc.

I want people to feel empowered. I don't want our lives to be dominated by the sort of people who tend to be attracted to power: the functioning psychopaths and the corruptible.

Please, not the Peedos AND the terrorists. Someone will be mentioning Hitler next :)

I do not pretend to be perfect. I do not expect to be perfect. But I make a consistent effort every day to be a friendly, active and honest citizen.

Plus, people in uniforms sometimes need to be dealt with a little more assertively. I gave the CSOs an opportunity to leave me alone. And then their petty absurdity and unnecessary interference annoyed me.

Paedos, and terrorists, and then your type of standard response, powerful organisations, the Police etc are behind thieving.

All this shows you believe in some kind of dream world that does not exist, and never will.

You have shown you have your own idea what you want to apply, and everyone should go along with that, whilst you resist what society has put in place.

You're no different to the rest of us, except you only want your own rules,

In the meantime, most of us have to cope with the real world.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I very definitely asserted my will over the CSOs. There is NO doubt about that.

Give over, course you didn't, else you'd not have had to stop!

I'd answer the rest, but clearly you just want to carry on the argument you were having with the PCSOs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give over, course you didn't, else you'd not have had to stop!

I think it is quite clear that I DID have the upper hand.

Plus I have ALL the photos that I wanted that day. I carried on and filmed ALL the external speakers at Kings Cross BEFORE I stopped and argued with them, plus speakers from 3 other stations that day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... the bottom line is this ... I simply refuse to collude in the idea that we need "permission" to take photographs in the street (as I was here) OR inside PUBLIC transport spaces. I do not care if it is technically "private property". ALL land is owned by someone, even common land. Train stations are the same as the street ... they are public.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is quite clear that I DID have the upper hand.

How? Rightly or wrongly, you were made to go. So you hardly asserted your will. Maybe your opinion, but not your will by any standard.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone will be mentioning Hitler next :).
    I'm only surprised you haven't among the rest of your anti establishment clichés...
    ... the bottom line is this ... I simply refuse to collude in the idea that we need "permission" to take photographs in the street (as I was here) OR inside PUBLIC transport spaces. I do not care if it is technically "private property". ALL land is owned by someone, even common land. Train stations are the same as the street ... they are public.

Actually the bottom line is that it's people like you who bring about the introduction of increasingly draconian rules...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How? Rightly or wrongly, you were made to go. So you hardly asserted your will. Maybe your opinion, but not your will by any standard.

I carried on taking photos.

I stopped only after I had photographed all the speakers.

I was assertive, as one often needs to be with people in uniforms.

I recorded the situation.

I then walked away and immediately continued with the next station.

Nobody MADE me do anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Actually the bottom line is that it's people like you who bring about the introduction of increasingly draconian rules...

“Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made.”
    said Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I'm only surprised you haven't among the rest of your anti establishment clichés...

As already stated, you only have to google my real name to see that I am nobody's cliché.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As already stated, you only have to google my real name to see that I am nobody's cliché.

You seem to have an obsession with putting odd things on your face :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... here I am @ another train station earlier this week,

this encounter it's a Stormtrooper ....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8322225&l=0d80553547&id=526724739