Reaction to flu jab?

Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had the flu injection two and a half weeks ago. Exactly two weeks later (last Wednesday) I woke up with severe pain (like a very bad stiffness) in my hip. It was painful to even walk a few steps. As I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and connective tissue disease, I put it down to a flare up of those. However, it was a different type of pain to the usual ones and if I do get bad stiffness, it eases quite a bit when I get moving. This, though seemed to get worse.

It is still very bad now and is also in my back, neck and knees. It only eases off a bit if I rest with heat on me.

I just wondered if it could be a reaction to the flu injection, but surely two weeks after it, would be too late for a reaction.

I just wondered if anyone else has been affected like this after the flu jab?

Comments

• Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Fibromite,
    I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I have fibromyalgia and MPS so i can sympathise to a certain degree. With such a complex mix of conditions it would be almost impossible to say but 2 weeks does sound like quite a long time to suddenly have a reaction to it.
    Recently i have had a really bad virus that knocked my fibro for 6, pain, stiffness and fatigue were the main symptoms as well as non stop shivering. Do you think you may have caught a virus of some kind? It can really play on pre-existing conditions like yours.
    If i were you i would pop along to the Dr. People with conditions like ours are so guilty of putting it down to whatever we have and ignoring it but if its causing you problems, and more pain, I'd see the dr.
    Are you on any pain killers? Tramadol, Lyrica etc i mean, not paracetamol!
    Take Care xxx
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Fibromite,
    I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I have fibromyalgia and MPS so i can sympathise to a certain degree. With such a complex mix of conditions it would be almost impossible to say but 2 weeks does sound like quite a long time to suddenly have a reaction to it.
    Recently i have had a really bad virus that knocked my fibro for 6, pain, stiffness and fatigue were the main symptoms as well as non stop shivering. Do you think you may have caught a virus of some kind? It can really play on pre-existing conditions like yours.
    If i were you i would pop along to the Dr. People with conditions like ours are so guilty of putting it down to whatever we have and ignoring it but if its causing you problems, and more pain, I'd see the dr.
    Are you on any pain killers? Tramadol, Lyrica etc i mean, not paracetamol!
    Take Care xxx

Thanks for answering so quickly Butterfly. My doctor is ringing me on Monday about another matter so I think I will mention the pain and stiffness to her and see what she says.

I am on all kinds of pills including Tramadol, Lyrica, Hydroxocloraquinine, Steriods, Celebrex, Methatrexate and quite a few others as I have so many conplex health problems. I get so tired of visiting my doctors and the hospital and try to not be a bother to them. I am also having a lot of problems with my eyes at ears at the moment. I am also waiting to see a neurologist as I have developed a tremor in my hands over the last couple of years. What a mess!
  • Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for answering so quickly Butterfly. My doctor is ringing me on Monday about another matter so I think I will mention the pain and stiffness to her and see what she says.

I am on all kinds of pills including Tramadol, Lyrica, Hydroxocloraquinine, Steriods, Celebrex, Methatrexate and quite a few others as I have so many conplex health problems. I get so tired of visiting my doctors and the hospital and try to not be a bother to them. I am also having a lot of problems with my eyes at ears at the moment. I am also waiting to see a neurologist as I have developed a tremor in my hands over the last couple of years. What a mess!

Oh Fibromite, I'm so sorry about all the problems your suffering from. I am always putting off seeing the dr because, to be honest, I'm sick of the sight of them and I'm sure they are of me lol.
    That's such a lot of tablets, i do feel for you. I gave up with tablets in the end and decided I'd live with the pain because i was so zombied out i just wasnt living at all and i was still in pain anyway.
    Are you getting to see a neurologist soon? I was quite lucky and got to see one reasonably quickly. Have you been on a pain management course? I didnt find it helpful myself but i know a lot of people do. Have you had an MRI scan to rule out physical problems?
    Sorry I'm being so nosey here! I just cant stand to see people suffering like you are. If you want to PM me I'll be more then happy to listen to you.
    I hope you've managed to get to sleep xxx
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    I had mild flu symptoms 48 hours after my flu jab this year. Paracetemol and exercise sorted it.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I had mild flu symptoms 48 hours after my flu jab this year. Paracetemol and exercise sorted it.

I had a flu jab and nothing happened at all - until six hours later when I started having classic symptoms of a normal cold (headaches, chills etc). By the next day it had gone though.

I was a bit worried about the jab because I have a bunch of intermittent symptoms which I've put down to lingering chronic Lyme disease. Usually anything that diverts my immune system to other matters (such dealing with a flu virus, active or not), makes the symptoms flare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Fibromite, I'm so sorry about all the problems your suffering from. I am always putting off seeing the dr because, to be honest, I'm sick of the sight of them and I'm sure they are of me lol.
    That's such a lot of tablets, i do feel for you. I gave up with tablets in the end and decided I'd live with the pain because i was so zombied out i just wasnt living at all and i was still in pain anyway.
    Are you getting to see a neurologist soon? I was quite lucky and got to see one reasonably quickly. Have you been on a pain management course? I didnt find it helpful myself but i know a lot of people do. Have you had an MRI scan to rule out physical problems?
    Sorry I'm being so nosey here! I just cant stand to see people suffering like you are. If you want to PM me I'll be more then happy to listen to you.
    I hope you've managed to get to sleep xxx

Hi again buttlerfly and thanks for your interest. Also thank-you to everyone else who has written.

I am convinced that it isn't a reaction to the flu injection now. I rested up yesterday even though I had lots to do, but I just couldn't do anything for such bad pain. Although the pain is still bad today there is an improvement on yesterday, so I have rested today and been asleep off and on. I have not needed to take so many painkillers today either. The pain seems to be moving around a bit because today it is worst in the top of my leg, so it started in my hip, then the worst was my back and now my leg.

To answer Buttlerfly's questions, I don't know how long I will have to wait to see the neurologist but hope it won't be for too long. I will try to remember to ask my doctor if she can let me know a rough time guide when I speak to her tomorrow. I have had some MRI scans done and nothing shows up in them.

As I said before, I have many illnesses so never feel really well. Most people just don't understand what it is like and some say the most stupid things, like saying I should go for a five mile walk everyday, when what they don't realise is that some days, I can't even get down the stairs! I am also tired of people telling me that I look well, when what I have wrong with me would not show in my looks anyway. The thing is, that unless they are very close friends, then they only see me when I am able to get out, and they don't see me when I am struggling to put one foot in front of the other.

My doctor said to put it down to people's ignorance and I try to do that, but it isn't always easy. I hate the way people rush by and say "Hello, are you alright?" If I answered truthfully, they would have to stay and listen to me for ages and by the time they have said it, they are usually miles away as they just carry on walking as they say it, so I usually just say, "Fine, thank-you".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    I had the flu injection two and a half weeks ago. Exactly two weeks later (last Wednesday) I woke up with severe pain (like a very bad stiffness) in my hip. It was painful to even walk a few steps. As I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and connective tissue disease, I put it down to a flare up of those. However, it was a different type of pain to the usual ones and if I do get bad stiffness, it eases quite a bit when I get moving. This, though seemed to get worse.

It is still very bad now and is also in my back, neck and knees. It only eases off a bit if I rest with heat on me.

I just wondered if it could be a reaction to the flu injection, but surely two weeks after it, would be too late for a reaction.

I just wondered if anyone else has been affected like this after the flu jab?

This is sounding very famiiar as my mum is also struggling with similar symptoms. She has RA and had her flu jab about three weeks ago, then caught a cold. She strained her lower back a week ago while coughing and a couple of days later the pain went to both her hips and thighs and she's struggled to walk since and said her legs feel very tender and achy. She has seen a doctor who said its likely to be referred pain from hurting her back but also could be a flare up of her RA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarrieNYC wrote: »
    This is sounding very famiiar as my mum is also struggling with similar symptoms. She has RA and had her flu jab about three weeks ago, then caught a cold. She strained her lower back a week ago while coughing and a couple of days later the pain went to both her hips and thighs and she's struggled to walk since and said her legs feel very tender and achy. She has seen a doctor who said its likely to be referred pain from hurting her back but also could be a flare up of her RA.

Reading this makes me think that perhaps it could still be a reaction to the jab after all, as it sounds very like what has happened to me. The connective tissue disease I have is very like RA. I just hope it gets better soon. Perhaps it's that the jab makes you low and that in turn causes a flare-up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Reading this makes me think that perhaps it could still be a reaction to the jab after all, as it sounds very like what has happened to me. The connective tissue disease I have is very like RA. I just hope it gets better soon. Perhaps it's that the jab makes you low and that in turn causes a flare-up.

The doctor said that sometimes having a virus like a cold can trigger a flare up, so I guess it's possible. Hoping my mum improves soon as it just feels endless at the moment, normally when she has a flare up it doesn't last this long.