Mad Men.

Comments

• annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to have developed into separate scenes for the main characters, with not much connection to each other. I love this show but this last season has been poor.
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I liked Glen when he was younger, but yesterday's episode, he was really wooden and acted poorly in his scenes. I was disappointed with the focus seemingly going all on Joan and that creepy old bloke. I liked the job evaluation scenes between Peggy and Don, there hasn't been enough Peggy in this second half of Season 7, imo.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    MM on top form this week....with Joan getting lucky - and the return of Creepy 'sideburns' Glen, he's in the army now.:o

Sally at here best too, telling Don the lay of the land - with parents like Don & Betty, {I'm OK with} she could be/is even worst.

Tinkerbell was fun and Peggy too.

"Don't listen to Jane Fonda here"
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this Mad Men cartoon make-up link via the Guardian. It covers the first couple of episodes. Made me chuckle.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/mad-men-cartoon-countdown-the-seventh-and-sixth-to-last-episodes?intcid=mod-latest

In case any of you have yet to watch this week's episode, don't click if you haven't seen this week's episode. This link is another humourous take on it.
  • Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Up until the start of this season I was going round telling people that this was the best TV series I'd ever seen, and I remember thinking at the end of season six, when Don took the kids to his old house, that it should have ended there, it would have been perfect.

If only Weiner and AMC had thought the same.

The first mistake was splitting it over a year, ridiculous idea. It was almost as if they were saying - 'Hey, this show is so successful we can do whatever the hell we want, and we don't give a damn about the people who made the show what it is!' (Yea, that's us mugs!)

The next mistake was moving some of the main characters to California and Detroit and taking the office dynamic away, which along with Don's secret was, for me the whole crux of the programme, as was the interaction between Don, Roger, Pete, Joan and Peggy, the five strongest people in the show, which they destroyed with a single swipe of a directors pen.

Then there was the whole Don drinking / womanizing again, which seemed to just be going over old ground, and don't even get me started on the threesome with Megan and Don. WOULD NOT HAPPEN!

I actually wasn't going to watch the last lot but thought I'd give it a go, but obviously I wished I hadn't.

1 thing - ROGER'S MOUSTACHE! Just no!

The scenes were short and poorly done, with no real drama or intensity to them at all.

Think of some of the great scenes in the past, Betty discovering the truth about Don, Peggy's secret pregnancy, the Bobby Bennett stuff, the Anna Draper stuff. etc, etc, all brilliantly acted and utterly compelling, along with loads of others.

And the bit with the sexists and Joan and Peggy was just cringe-worthy.

There's no way on this earth Joan would have put up with that, especially the bit about her modelling bras. In the past she'd have stuck one on him, not just sat there and taken it like a wimp.

There's loads more stuff I could pick out but I think I've said enough for now.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I can't remember the last time I felt so let down by something I absolutely loved. Needless to say I haven't watched it since.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Trudy. :D
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny 99 wrote: »

The first mistake was splitting it over a year, ridiculous idea. It was almost as if they were saying - 'Hey, this show is so successful we can do whatever the hell we want, and we don't give a damn about the people who made the show what it is!' (Yea, that's us mugs!)

Yet again on DS, the sense of entitlement of fans never ceases to amaze me. Fans seem to think they own the shows they watch and that showrunners must listen to them. You didn't make the show, nor did I. They did.

Don wouldn't have a threesome, you say? Well, hang on, he's their character, not yours. They can have him do what the Hell they like with him.

Whether they succeed in convincing you he would and take you on that journey with him is another matter entirely.
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Trudy. :D
    Pleased too to see Trudy, loved the School scene with the Clan fight.
    But sad too - Peggy and the Children - Pete watching.

MM, on a roll now, stunning episode this week with Sterling Cooper 'absorbed' into McCann, and key accounts, for all, apart from Joan.
    "Everything's going to be fine"

Was hoping Don would have finished/started his pitch, to relocate to the west coast.

"Do you need ice"
  • lady.buglady.bug Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Then there was the whole Don drinking / womanizing again, which seemed to just be going over old ground, and don't even get me started on the threesome with Megan and Don. WOULD NOT HAPPEN!

Don Draper would definitely have a threesome - he's probably had loads :D. If you think it's out of character, then I don't think you really get Don Draper. I thought that scene was really well played - the way Don just shrugged his shoulders and went with it and then the awkwardness when the all sobered up in the morning.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought that was an excellent episode, made all the better with no Betty or Sally appearances.

Being Scottish I got the MacDonald v Campbell feud right away, I wonder if that just went over the heads of the Yanks.

Ken has turned into a right git, whereas I have warmed more to Pete now.

Now that Peggy has told Stan about having a child I wonder if she will try find out where her lad is?

Can't believe there are only 3 more episodes to go, getting really excited for the finale.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up until the start of this season I was going round telling people that this was the best TV series I'd ever seen, and I remember thinking at the end of season six, when Don took the kids to his old house, that it should have ended there, it would have been perfect.

If only Weiner and AMC had thought the same.

The next mistake was moving some of the main characters to California and Detroit and taking the office dynamic away, which along with Don's secret was, for me the whole crux of the programme, as was the interaction between Don, Roger, Pete, Joan and Peggy, the five strongest people in the show, which they destroyed with a single swipe of a directors pen.

I actually wasn't going to watch the last lot but thought I'd give it a go, but obviously I wished I hadn't.

1 thing - ROGER'S MOUSTACHE! Just no!

The scenes were short and poorly done, with no real drama or intensity to them at all.

Think of some of the great scenes in the past, Betty discovering the truth about Don, Peggy's secret pregnancy, the Bobby Bennett stuff, the Anna Draper stuff. etc, etc, all brilliantly acted and utterly compelling, along with loads of others.

And the bit with the sexists and Joan and Peggy was just cringe-worthy.

There's no way on this earth Joan would have put up with that, especially the bit about her modelling bras. In the past she'd have stuck one on him, not just sat there and taken it like a wimp.

There's loads more stuff I could pick out but I think I've said enough for now.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I can't remember the last time I felt so let down by something I absolutely loved. Needless to say I haven't watched it since.

This is a good post. It's refreshing to read someone be critical of a show and point out the faults rather than the gushing praise. I'd be interested to read what you make of the rest of the show if you watch it.
    Forum Member
    Another classic episode of MM this week, Lost Horizon - with the surreal scene of Peggy skating and Roger on his Organ.:cool: - Peggy arriving too at McCann Erickson.

Don leaving the meeting, was epic, will he ever return - I think not - his trip, to start, was a bit pointless...but it improved, big time.....going home?

Joan, sees the true colours of McCann Erickson - and she doesn't like, me too.
    Betty massage, was that a dream.;-)
    And the return of Bert.:cool:

"I have a heart condition, you know"
  • Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the use of the Bowie track at the end - it gave a sense of bridging the faraway time in which the series is set, with something closer to home.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe there's just one episode to go. So much speculation as to how it will all end, in particular Don's story. Going to be very sad moment when it's all over.

There's also a lot of discussion about what the closing song will be, I'm going for American Pie, with lots of references to the whole Mad Men experience.

Last time I was so excited and anxious about a closing episode was Lost a few years ago :)
  • Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe there's just one episode to go. So much speculation as to how it will all end, in particular Don's story. Going to be very sad moment when it's all over.

Did you notice Don testing the windows in his new office last week, to see if they opened?

I think it was a tongue in cheek reference to the rumour that the falling man in the opening credits, is Don committing suicide in the finale.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he committed suicide knowing the fate to befall Betty and their soon-to-be motherless children, he will go down as one TV's most disappointingly lousy characters. Also it will be a cop out since people have tended to flag the man falling out the window to be Don.

I hope he surprises me by doing something out of the ordinary.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far too much Betty this week.
    Forum Member

There's also a lot of discussion about what the closing song will be, I'm going for American Pie, with lots of references to the whole Mad Men experience.

Last time I was so excited and anxious about a closing episode was Lost a few years ago :)
    Bye Bye {birdie} Mad Men - whole cast singing......on a carousel.:cool:

Can we have Sal returning.:cool:
    Pete & Trudy dancing again too....as they are back together - a happy ending in MM :o
    Matt D wrote: »
    Always been a Betty fan.:( - Sally was amazing this week, with the cancer news.

And Don: thought he was going going to be caught out by the Army Vets - great end with the Bus Stop, after giving the car away.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Totally disagree, essential to the story line.
  • RedRoseRebelRedRoseRebel Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt so bad for Sally again in this episode.

All to often in the past she has had to take on the parent roll when either Betty or Don were acting up.

This week she had to take it on again when Henry selfishly went to tell her the news but it was him that needed the comfort.

Then when she gets home Betty ignores her and she has to look after her brothers.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they have a sing song at the end.
    I loved the Burt song last season. Was nice to see him in Dons car too.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to see the show go but it was a nice finale.
  • standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    So sad to see it go ,lets a follow up movie is made in a few years say set in 1980 ?
This discussion has been closed.