Options

Keeping a dog at home if you work all day

Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it possible to keep a dog as a pet if you work all day (8 hours)?

I want one. I don't want to be cruel though. If you do it currently, what do you do to stop it going crazy / getting upset / chewing through the furniture...etc?

Comments

• Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to keep a dog as a pet if you work all day (8 hours)?

I want one. I don't want to be cruel though. If you do it currently, what do you do to stop it going crazy / getting upset / chewing through the furniture...etc?

Dont do it. Its cruel to leave a dog on its own for 8 hours a day. Get a goldfish.
  • Options
    Stella100Stella100 Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would there be anyone available to take it out during the day?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you shouldn't get one. Very occasionally my dogs are alone for 4hrs, so I got two dogs to keep one another company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a dog but we work on different shifts so he is never left for more than 4 hours on his own. We knew he would have to be left on his own at some point so we made sure that we built it into his training from a puppy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't say that it's cruel but u would have to have a lot of energy after work to take it walks and have play time. I wouldn't recommend getting a Labrador as they have millions of energy and if kept inside all day they would get bored and chew things and also have stress poos which is where they're distressed thinking they've been left abandoned and so have lots of mini poos. Sorry for the detail. The only positive is if u get a puppy it will sleep lots during the day for the first few months. If u had a back garden u could leave it out there with lots of toys such as kongs stuffed with food that they have to try and get out.. Pets at home is the best place for toys that will occupy dogs for long periods of time. A small house dog would prob be best if you aren't going to be home a lot and it will just need lots of training to be taught not to chew everything, jump on the sofa etc. Oh one last thing if u enjoy a social life, going out at weekends or have a hobby I wouldn't recommend getting a dog because it will be alone for even longer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    It really isnt in the dogs best interests to keep it home alone all day while you go out to work- it is cruel in my view. It is going to get very bored, very frustrated, in need of the loo, and much much more in the long run. It is no life for a dog at all.

Yes it is perfectly fine to have a dog(s) and work long hours but consider firstly if you can afford a dog walker/dog daycare and back up plans if the dog walker cannot come etc.

The dog walk must be a trustworthy one that you have looked into and know will be exercising your dog and not pretending to but taking your cash anyway

The daycare is a good idea as your dog will be mixing with others and learning a lot

If you cannot afford this every single day then maybe look into a family member/friend having the dog for certain days while you are out if possible???? A retired family member may be only to happy!

Also take into account are you going to feel motivated enough to get up early and walk the dog before work- take it to its destination I.e daycare and still walk it when you get home for a considerable length??? Dogs arent easy! Just many people have them and don't care for them properly.

Consider what you want from a dog overall. Some breeds need less exercise for example a greyhound may be suited to two sprints in a secure area twice daily for 20 minutes and then be happy to laze about wheres a JRT may need up to 3 hours exercise or more to just feel settled indoors. So breed is important as well.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaidyC wrote: »
    Wouldn't say that it's cruel

Sorry to disagree, but it is cruel. Dogs need company, you shouldn't get one if you're out at work eight hours a day, end of .
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people do it successfully but it is hard work and they tend to pay a walker to take the dog out or the dog goes to day care while they are working - all adds up cost wise so depends what you can put in place to make sure the dog is OK. Also depends on the dog - you couldn't have a pup as toilet training would be impossible but possibly an elderly dog that sleeps a lot might be able to tolerate it.

I wouldn't do it my self and it would be cruel for some dogs.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to disagree, but it is cruel. Dogs need company, you shouldn't get one if you're out at work eight hours a day, end of .

We have 2 dogs they wouldn't agree it's cruel they well cared for and Loved when we are there :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't say that it's cruel but u would have to have a lot of energy after work to take it walks and have play time. I wouldn't recommend getting a Labrador as they have millions of energy and if kept inside all day they would get bored and chew things and also have stress poos which is where they're distressed thinking they've been left abandoned and so have lots of mini poos. Sorry for the detail. The only positive is if u get a puppy it will sleep lots during the day for the first few months. If u had a back garden u could leave it out there with lots of toys such as kongs stuffed with food that they have to try and get out.. Pets at home is the best place for toys that will occupy dogs for long periods of time. A small house dog would prob be best if you aren't going to be home a lot and it will just need lots of training to be taught not to chew everything, jump on the sofa etc. Oh one last thing if u enjoy a social life, going out at weekends or have a hobby I wouldn't recommend getting a dog because it will be alone for even longer.

A puppy should NOT be left on its own!!! Would you leave a baby on its own?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree 100%.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not leave a dog at home on its own for 5 days a week, it's not fair. Dogs are social animals, they need human interaction. A cat is a much better bet, as they generally sleep about 18 hours a day, and will be quite happy to wake up at night to greet you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't think it's ok to leave a dog alone for that number of hours on a regular basis. I don't think a person should practically become housebound over the fact they have dogs but the compromise certainly has to lean more towards their favor in terms of company. Plus, the likelihood is that eventually the room you keep it in for that number of hours will inevitable end up having a smell that will never quite go away, unpleasant for all concerned. Have you thought of getting a cat? They can come and go as they please, as long as you don't live near a busy main road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »
    A puppy should NOT be left on its own!!! Would you leave a baby on its own?

if you leave a puppy home alone for that amount of times you are going to have a heck of a lot of trouble getting it to understand outside is where to toilet not indoors where it spends all day alone- Puppies have very small bladders and cannot hold it like adults dogs may do- The pup will also need feeding at regular intervals for some time and need you there to train it in order to develop into a healthy, well adjusted dog.

It doesn't matter if the dog is a small ("lap") dog or large dog it is still going to drive itself bonkers left alone all those hours every day in my view.

Also I would not advise leaving a dog outside in the garden unless you have considered every aspect- Dogs get stolen a lot. Neighbours complain a lot if the dog is fed up and barking/crying and rightly so. There will have to be a cost spent on an insulated /comfortable kennel to keep the dog away from the cold/rain etc.

As I said don't be put off by everyone saying 'don't do it' if you think you have a lot to offer a dog then consider everything and if you still think you can provide it with what it needs then good luck :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really isnt in the dogs best interests to keep it home alone all day while you go out to work- it is cruel in my view. It is going to get very bored, very frustrated, in need of the loo, and much much more in the long run. It is no life for a dog at all.

Yes it is perfectly fine to have a dog(s) and work long hours but consider firstly if you can afford a dog walker/dog daycare and back up plans if the dog walker cannot come etc.

The dog walk must be a trustworthy one that you have looked into and know will be exercising your dog and not pretending to but taking your cash anyway

The daycare is a good idea as your dog will be mixing with others and learning a lot

If you cannot afford this every single day then maybe look into a family member/friend having the dog for certain days while you are out if possible???? A retired family member may be only to happy!

Also take into account are you going to feel motivated enough to get up early and walk the dog before work- take it to its destination I.e daycare and still walk it when you get home for a considerable length??? Dogs arent easy! Just many people have them and don't care for them properly.

Consider what you want from a dog overall. Some breeds need less exercise for example a greyhound may be suited to two sprints in a secure area twice daily for 20 minutes and then be happy to laze about wheres a JRT may need up to 3 hours exercise or more to just feel settled indoors. So breed is important as well.

Just to add, yes greyhounds are probably the most lazy breed you can get (ironically). Still wouldn't leave them alone all day, however I've been in a situation where I've had to physically push them out of their beds to go outside. Even then they have a run around for a few mins, then bark they want to come in. I think I was a greyhound in a previous life :o:p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    Just to add, yes greyhounds are probably the most lazy breed you can get (ironically). Still wouldn't leave them alone all day, however I've been in a situation where I've had to physically push them out of their beds to go outside. Even then they have a run around for a few mins, then bark they want to come in. I think I was a greyhound in a previous life :o:p.

Sometimes I really wish there was a "like" button on DS :D
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a greyhound and he's on his own for 6 hours every day and is bone idle. We used to have a friend coming in to walk him about 1pm every day but in the end she gave up because he refused to budge.

The only problem is, no reputable greyhound rescue charity would let you adopt a dog unless you could prove it was only being left for a maximum of 4 hours at a time and I think a puppy is out of the question as it will either be very destructive or miserable, or possibly both.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just get a cat or 2, you can kick them out when you go to work and let them in when you return, they'll do their business in someone elses garden and will if hungry eat the wildlife reducing the food bill as well and if you don't like spiders remember cats love to chase & eat them generally
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is offtopic, but I'd like to get a cat once I finally move to my new house with a garden. I've only ever owned dogs before and I know virtually nothing about cats. The only reason I'm leaning towards a cat is because I also work all day, but a nanny stays at home with my 3-year-old (who is in nursery part-time).

Anyway... I'm looking for a breed that's very child-friendly, low-maintenance, lazy ( :D ) and one that is loyal to their owners, so won't run away on a daily basis.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it may be a surprise to many DS animal loonies but a dog is a smelly animal with the brain the size of a pea, it's not a human.

To say it's cruel to leave a dog alone in a warm dry room with food and water for 8 hours is really stretching the meaning of the word, it's undesirable and unavoidable , but cruel ? no, get some perspective for heaven's sake..
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Is it more cruel for them to be in cages at dog's homes or mistreated?

I have worked full time (shift work) for over 20 years and have had two dogs all that time (not the same ones!). For a while when I was married and my ex worked some of the time at home, they were not left alone for more than 4 hours.
    After my divorce there was no alternative - would you rather I had them rehomed (fat chance) or put down?
    I am up with them for an hour before work and in the evenings, we walk miles in all weathers. I come home to no chewing or destruction and anyone who knows my dogs - including the vet, say how happy and well behaved they are. Most recently after an older one died, the one left behind was pining - I made the decision to get a puppy. A puppy because if they know their routine from day 1 there is no stress.
    A friend came round once during the day to let her out for a wee and there was no mess inside the house (when out) from getting her. She is lively but even so, only chewed a tiny bit when teething (all dogs chew when teething). We live near the country so weekends we go out for 3-4 hours at a time and they get a lot of exercise. I know people who are at home all day and NEVER take their dogs out!
    When I am on leave from work, what do the dogs do when they have been walked and fed? They sleep!
    Dogs sleep at least half of every day, even puppies.
    It may not be ideal but I know my dogs are happy and so am I.

For those who insist it is cruel, you seem to want to deny doggy company to anyone who works - that is cruel to both human and dog in my opinion.
    And in my case, my man is moving in this year and he works from home, so they will not be 'on their own' - I bet he tells me that they sleep all day!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    This is offtopic, but I'd like to get a cat once I finally move to my new house with a garden. I've only ever owned dogs before and I know virtually nothing about cats. The only reason I'm leaning towards a cat is because I also work all day, but a nanny stays at home with my 3-year-old (who is in nursery part-time).

Anyway... I'm looking for a breed that's very child-friendly, low-maintenance, lazy ( :D ) and one that is loyal to their owners, so won't run away on a daily basis.

Any ideas?

I don't know about breeds as such, we just have general moggies. But spayed females are more likely to stay close to home than a male.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I don't know about breeds as such, we just have general moggies. But spayed females are more likely to stay close to home than a male.

Thanks. I was originally considering a Persian, as they tend to be quite lazy, but the constant grooming put me off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »

Any ideas?

Yeah. A dog :D the old saying dogs have masters, cats have slaves is very true.

No breed would guarantee you a Loyola cat, some are more people friendly than others, but that's about it. Personally I'd get a moggie kitten, that's what I did (2 actually), they grew up with the kids, and they all play well together and they sleep with my son. One does go walkabout regularly, but always comes back (we are rural so he goes mousing I think).
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does depend on the dog IMO, my older dog happily stayed at home for 6-8 hours or more, she actively waitied for us to get lost because she knew she would get a Kong.

She got a good walk in the morning, slept most of the day and then in the evenings we went for another walk (or two in Summer) and training/agility/group walks.

It's more frowned upon nowaday but IMO there are worse lifestlyes for some dogs.