Rose totally deserves her day in the 50th

biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Rose was there at the beginning every bit as much as Russell T Davies etc etc

Rose is a perfect ambassador for the reboot.

She is every bit as perfect an inclusion in the 50th as Christopher Eccleston would be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_%28Doctor_Who%29

Comments

• Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes indeed. Anyone who says different is just being churlish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a MASSIVE Rose fan but even I have to admit, Rose has been used enough now and it's come to the point she has overshadowed the other companions. I hope this is the last time we see Rose (in the 50th) so hopefully her character gets a good ending. She's been brought back too many times...! Will be sad to see her go though!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I never quite understood how Rose has been overused - since her main exit she has returned in the role for just three episodes at the end of Series 4. Cameos in earlier episodes of the fourth series were a nice treat but hardly 'returns', and the same can be said for her brief appearance in The End of Time. I think the real damage was done with Series 3, which couldn't let her go and overshadowed Martha's story a bit too much, without the actual inclusion of her to pay off at all.

The Day of the Doctor, to me, will only be her second return. And it's one that I'm happy with, not even specifically as a fan of the character. :)

Of course my favourite line-up would have been Eleven, Clara, Ten, Donna, Nine and Rose... but we can't have it all I suppose :)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I'm a MASSIVE Rose fan but even I have to admit, Rose has been used enough now and it's come to the point she has overshadowed the other companions. I hope this is the last time we see Rose (in the 50th) so hopefully her character gets a good ending. She's been brought back too many times...! Will be sad to see her go though!

Technically she's only been brought back once, she was only on-screen in TEOT for a matter of seconds and it wasn't really that big a deal (at least not any more so than any of the other companion's cameos in that episode).

Nevertheless I agree that she has overshadowed other companions. I do hope the show will move on from her for good after the 50th. There are a myriad of companions I would rather see make a comeback in Who.
  • biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "the Doctor speaks to the Nestene Consciousness. He tries to negotiate with it, but the Consciousness blames the Doctor for the destruction of its planet during the Time War."
  • biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both the Autons and the Nestene Consciousness first appeared in the serial Spearhead from Space (1970)

Jon Pertwee's debut as the Third Doctor in Spearhead from Space also began with him already regenerated and without a companion (as with Christopher Eccleston in e1 "Rose")
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I would like her character to develop in a different way...perhaps have her be portentous or something...
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood the extreme hatred the majority of fandom seems to have for Rose. I will be the first to agree with anyone that she was badly written in series two, and especially series four (although she was exceptionally good in Turn Left) but I think she's always going to be one of the most important companions in the legacy of the show.

I just hope the writing in Day of the Doctor will do Rose justice and remind even her haters that she CAN be an awesome character... and from the trailer it looks like it just might.
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Because the shows revolved around Billie Piper enough as already. Series one finale, the Daleks were defeated by Rose whilst the Doctor stood there like a spare one at a wedding. To make matter worse her breath caused the doctor to regenerate.
    Even when we got rid of her she still her shadow still hung over Martha and Donna, because the doctor was pining for her or she was returning.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should Rose be in the show more?
    Because she wants to
    Because she wants to!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    No, she really doesn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biomorph04 wrote: »

Rose is a perfect ambassador for the reboot.

She is every bit as perfect an inclusion in the 50th as Christopher Eccleston would be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_%28Doctor_Who%29

Why does she deserve to be in? Because she was the companion when the series came back? Her story finished. Unless they bring her back just to kill her off then no point in her coming back.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,097
    Forum Member
    biomorph04 wrote: »

Really? I didn't know Billie Piper was in "An Unearthly Child" and RTD certainly kept his involvement in that episode to himself :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so long as she isn't in the middle of complicated dental surgery, and can actually speak properly. Unlike last time
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose has been made too important over the years in my eyes, all because the Doctor 'fell' for her. I preferred her with Eccleston, with Tennant she became annoying. Series 2 is the one I re-watch the least of the comeback years, although, to be fair, a lot of the stories would have been stinkers regardless of Rose. I just hope we can move on from Rose after the special, building her up so highly stopped/stops a lot of fans from accepting other companions.
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand fans complaining about Rose being too important. I hardly see people complain about Clara entering the Doctors timeline, seeing every single incarnation, and TELLING HIM WHAT F**K**G TARDIS TO TAKE.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't Rose part the ways for The Doctor in the The Parting of The Ways, maybe the Moment brings it all back together and so maybe The Doctors need to find Rose .:confused:
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote:
    I don't understand fans complaining about Rose being too important. I hardly see people complain about Clara entering the Doctors timeline, seeing every single incarnation, and TELLING HIM WHAT F**K**G TARDIS TO TAKE.

Don't take that one, it's got a wonky wheel:D( Does The Tardis have wheels?:confused:)
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Rose but from the trailer it sounds like we'll be getting out THIRD Rose accent, Billie really can't stick to the one accent. Hopefully this time there won't be that god awful lisp, though.
    Why should Rose be in the show more?
    Because she wants to
    Because she wants to!

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I love Rose but from the trailer it sounds like we'll be getting out THIRD Rose accent, Billie really can't stick to the one accent. Hopefully this time there won't be that god awful lisp, though.

If you rewatch The Parting of the Ways, you'll notice Rose speaks with a posh accent when she is the Bad Wolf. Just saying like
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one thing though why didn't she remember and ask 10 about it ?. Rose nearly died being the bad wolf. 9 gave his life to save her and then turned into 10. "I saw something it was you on Galifrey but you were different". Imagine there will be lots of head scratching at all the timey whimey paradoxy things going on. DOTD might end up raising more questions then it answers.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »

RTD specifically created Rose to be the 'most important companion', he said so himself. To do this with the first companion back made Rose untouchable to a new generation of Who fans. No matter what any companion has done since, a large percentage of new Who fans have always wanted Rose back.
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw someone say it yesterday, and I agree, that to a lot of this generation of viewers, Rose is their Sarah Jane. She was half the reason new Who was a success. I know a lot of fans on here seem to dislike her, but she means a lot to fans who only fell in love with the show in the past 8 years.

Rose was my companion, so she always has a place in the show for me.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw someone say it yesterday, and I agree, that to a lot of this generation of viewers, Rose is their Sarah Jane. She was half the reason new Who was a success. I know a lot of fans on here seem to dislike her, but she means a lot to fans who only fell in love with the show in the past 8 years.

Rose was my companion, so she always has a place in the show for me.

Very fair point. Much preferred Rose with 9, but have found some comments on the interweb about the character way OTT. I agree with those who've said it was the references in Series 3 that grated rather than her appearances in the show per se.

Thought her cameo at the end of 'Partners in Crime' worked well, as did her cameo in TEOT (despite my reservations about that story as a whole.) I'm fine with her being in the 50th and it'll be interesting to see how things play out. My favourite by far in C21 'Who' was Donna, but really disliked how she was handled in 'End...' so happy to just remember her from series 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I'm pleased Rose is in the 50th, because as you say, she was in the reboot right at the start and is constantly voted as one of the best companions. I don't think another return is excessive - how many times did Sarah leave, come back, leave, comeback (albeit in different programmes I understand)? Sarah is a loved character, so it didn't matter, and I think the same applies to Rose.