Options

Which version of Willy Wonka do you prefer?

13»

Comments

• Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    Ive never thought about them being the 7 deadly sins..just a moral tale..you are right..had never noticed.

Ive 2 older boys..20+ and then we opted for another baby..I was 40 when I had him..now age 7 ..going through the whole primary school thing again is an eye opener..I have quite old fashioned moral values as in teaching to be polite,not pushy,have manners,be kind and responsible..this time around I am definitely a dying breed..the "as long as mines alright Jack" brigade has taken over...it really is quite scary.

I've always believed (and was raised to believe) that manners can get you a long way. I think you're doing the right thing, just a shame it seems to be against the norm. And just think, should your child ever find a golden ticket, they'll have a much better chance of winning a chocolate factory. :)
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Asarualim wrote: »
    I've always believed (and was raised to believe) that manners can get you a long way. I think you're doing the right thing, just a shame it seems to be against the norm. And just think, should your child ever find a golden ticket, they'll have a much better chance of winning a chocolate factory. :)

Love it x
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Gotta be the 1971 Gene Wilder version, the Johnny Depp version is just too creepy with the childhood flashbacks

The 1971 film is so much more authentic than the 2005 remake, but apparently Roald Dahl wasn't a fan. Why was this?

1971 original version, far superior to the Johnny Depp one
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    1971 for me. I thought Wilder had Wonka down to a tee, just the right level of crazy. Depp I felt played him too passively which didn't remind me of the written character at all. Plus Depp looked nothing like the Quentin Blake illustrations! There are also some cracking little extra bits like the people hunting for golden tickets (the man with the machine that won't tell him where the tickets are being my personal favourite although I like the woman who has to think about whether she can give away her chocolate as a ransom demand). The songs are great too (except Cheer Up Charlie).

The 2005 film on the other hand, though close to the book in the main, just didn't feel quite right. A lot of the the fun of the book was missing and despite all the Burton stuff, it felt sterile and soulless. I didn't like the way they did the oompa loompas either. The worst thing though was the ridiculous and totally unnecessary back story for Wonka and the tacking on of 20 minutes at the end of the film while we go looking for his father and where Wonka refuses to allow Charlie to bring the rest of his family to the factory. Totally pointless and added nothing of value to the original story. Wonka was supposed to be a mystery, turning his history into a soapy melodrama was rubbish.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 1971 Gene Wilder version. I know Roald Dahl hated it, but it has far more heart than the Johnny Depp version. Everything about it is perfect - the cast, the sets, the music, the setting.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    1971 for me. I thought Wilder had Wonka down to a tee, just the right level of crazy. Depp I felt played him too passively which didn't remind me of the written character at all. Plus Depp looked nothing like the Quentin Blake illustrations! There are also some cracking little extra bits like the people hunting for golden tickets (the man with the machine that won't tell him where the tickets are being my personal favourite although I like the woman who has to think about whether she can give away her chocolate as a ransom demand). The songs are great too (except Cheer Up Charlie).

The 2005 film on the other hand, though close to the book in the main, just didn't feel quite right. A lot of the the fun of the book was missing and despite all the Burton stuff, it felt sterile and soulless. I didn't like the way they did the oompa loompas either. The worst thing though was the ridiculous and totally unnecessary back story for Wonka and the tacking on of 20 minutes at the end of the film while we go looking for his father and where Wonka refuses to allow Charlie to bring the rest of his family to the factory. Totally pointless and added nothing of value to the original story. Wonka was supposed to be a mystery, turning his history into a soapy melodrama was rubbish.

We didn't need to know about his dad and I'm sure Roald Dahl would agree with that. The book is a morality tale about its protagonist Charlie, and the extension of the film adds nothing
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    We didn't need to know about his dad and I'm sure Roald Dahl would agree with that. The book is a morality tale about its protagonist Charlie, and the extension of the film adds nothing

>:( Christopher Lee on film is never, ever "nothing"
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Gene Wilder of course.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else curious as to what happened to the kids from the original movie?

http://thefw.com/willy-wonka-then-now/
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Also the inventions in the 1971 film are how I imagined from reading the book. I agree that the modern version ignores the fact that the book is a clear morality tale, critiquing the indulgence of children. The children are bad but what is worse is the parenting; the parents indulge their child's vices whereas Charlie decides things for himself. By behaving like an adult, he is treated like one.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the Johnny Depp version, the way Depp's Wonka interacts with the kids in the factory is just weird. As are the singing dolls

I need to watch the Gene Wilder version again
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1971 but probably for the memories rather than the plot