Options

Laurel and Hardy Back In UK Cinemas This June

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
To coincide with the 125 year anniversary of Stan Laurel's birth on June 16th, SHOWCASE CINEMAS are putting on screenings of Laurel and Hardy films in selected cinemas across the UK & Ireland throughout June.

Full details at

http://www.laurelandhardyroadshow.co.uk/

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should have a Laurel & Hardy reboot with Lenny Henry & Shazia Mirza taking up the roles.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To coincide with the 125 year anniversary of Stan Laurel's birth on June 16th, SHOWCASE CINEMAS are putting on screenings of Laurel and Hardy films in selected cinemas across the UK & Ireland throughout June.

Full details at

"Selected cinemas" = five cinemas to cover the entire country! Wow.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great idea, and if they were screening them at a nearby cinema I would probably go. Unfortunately, none of those cinemas are in this area, so I'll just have to make do with the DVDs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    "Selected cinemas" = five cinemas to cover the entire country! Wow.

Only the first 5 have been announced so far as tickets just went on sale today.
    As it says on the website, there's lots more screenings to be announced throughout the country over the coming weeks.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, there will be more screenings at other venues like it says on the website. It's nice seeing old films back on the big screen. I wonder if any of the other chains(e.g. Curzon) will show them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More dates just added http://www.laurelandhardyroadshow.co.uk

More dates will be announced over the coming weeks.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very good to hear that some of their films are returning to the cinema.
    I have not seen one on TV for quite some time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    more dates just added http://laurelandhardyroadshow.co.uk
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Full details at

I use to love watching them, I know it is old now. I loved those black and white films even the silent ones and yet I was not even born when they came out.
  • Options
    Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I use to love watching them, I know it is old now. I loved those black and white films even the silent ones and yet I was not even born when they came out.

That's the same for most of us!

But genius will out, whichever era it comes from. Laurel and Hardy shit on most, if not all, modern comedians.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the same for most of us!

But genius will out, whichever era it comes from. Laurel and Hardy shit on most, if not all, modern comedians.

I tend to agree.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of the greats who never get old. They, in my opinion, have dated better than Chaplin Keaton etc they have a great charisma and rapport with each-other and there's a very human element to their comedy. They certainly show up today's revolting comedy actors, ie Adam Sandler, and that Seth- whathisname, who does Family Guy. They are arrogant, and totally unlikable people, with little talent.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two of the greats who never get old. They, in my opinion, have dated better than Chaplin Keaton etc they have a great charisma and rapport with each-other and there's a very human element to their comedy.

L & H made the transition to talkies effortlessly. Great dialogue as well as great visual gags. Being a double act helped.

Chaplin & Keaton's best work remains their silents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I hope Disney XD will become the new home of Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, and Abbott & Costello films in the UK this Christmas :-)

P.S. I have a request to Disney XD in the UK back last weekend.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Disney XD will become the new home of Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, and Abbott & Costello films in the UK this Christmas :-)

P.S. I have a request to Disney XD in the UK back last weekend.

Why in God's name would a channel that plays out kids cartoons suddenly start playing the things you suggested?

Stop being ridiculous Callum!
  • Options
    giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    "The aim of these national screenings is to invite families to come to the cinema… grandparents, mums, dads and the kids."
    Then why is every single screening on a weekday?

I also don't understand their statement that "There has been virtually nothing in recent years to introduce younger generations to Laurel & Hardy". I'm only 15 but I watched them on VHS and DVDs that my dad bought me when I was 4. They seem easy enough to get hold of. Mind you, without my dad showing me them, I probably would never have heard of them.
    Even the title at the top of the screen says 'It's time to introduce the next generation to Laurel and Hardy'. Why do that when most of the new generation has school on?

It's still a very good idea and it seems to be aimed at the younger kids (primary school age and nursery school age), so that wouldn't be as much of a problem for them to attend as opposed to a secondary school-aged student (I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush here, but to me it seems that most secondary school students either don't know or don't care. Note I say most, not all). This doesn't seem like it's aimed at teenagers anyway.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearest venue is about 100 miles away. No sale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UPDATED LIST OF SCREENINGS BELOW

Tickets and info at http://www.laurelandhardyroadshow.co.uk

UK

Mon 1st Jun - Liverpool - *VIP Launch Night
    Thu 11th Jun - Peterborough
    Thu 11th Jun - Manchester
    Thu 11th Jun - Leeds
    Thu 11th Jun - Coventry
    Thu 11th Jun - Cardiff
    Thu 11th Jun - Bristol
    Mon 15th Jun - Perth
    Tue 15th Jun - London
    Tue 16th Jun - Bluewater - *Stan's birthday
    Tue 16th Jun - Nottingham - *Stan's birthday
    Tue 16th Jun - Glasgow - *Stan's birthday
    Tue 16th Jun - Sheffield - *Stan's birthday
    Tue 16th Jun - Gateshead - *Stan's birthday
    Tue 16th Jun - Hull - *Stan's birthday
    Tue 16th Jun - Edinburgh - *Stan's birthday
    Tue 16th Jun - Birmingham - *Stan's birthday

IRELAND

Tue 16th Jun - Dungarvan - *Stan's birthday
    Tue 16th Jun - Dublin - *Stan's birthday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the title at the top of the screen says 'It's time to introduce the next generation to Laurel and Hardy'. Why do that when most of the new generation has school on?

Most of the screenings take place early evening around 7.30pm and finish just after 9pm.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Music Box is my favorite short by them.
    Anyone not seen it, check it out on YouTube.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    The Music Box is my favorite short by them.
    Anyone not seen it, check it out on YouTube.

Yes, so good that it won the Academy Award for Best Short film. Love this too; other personal faves are Laughing Gravy, The L&H Murder Mystery, Oliver the Eighth and of course, Sons of the Desert.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,247
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »

I am 78, and even I wasn't born when most of them came out ;-)

I was seven years old when Dancing Master was first released, and I can always remember Ollie on a runaway bus which ended up on a roller coaster. :)
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way out West for the songs and dancing.
    Ollie was quite a good singer.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this info. Manchester possible.

Btw - always annoys me a little when people bang on about Stan Laurel being the brains behind them etc. Have they actually watched L & H? Comedy hinges on the delivery, and on that scale Oliver Hardy's contribution is off the chart.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just come back from the Cardiff screening and despite the fact that I've seen Sons of the Desert more times than I can count I was still creased with laughter.

I don't know how L&H do it. I love stuff like The Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd etc. but when I watch their stuff, especially when I'm on my own, I rarely laugh out loud. I acknowledge that it's very funny and will generally smile and maybe chuckle under my breath occasionally but there's very little full on laughing.

Laurel and Hardy get me every single time though. No matter how many times I've seen it and no matter how obvious the setup ('Stan puts two pineapples down on a chair...') they always leave me helpless with laughter.

I've still got a huge grin on my face an hour later.

Roll on the next one!