Options

Scottie Mcclue

Comments

• Options
    AuntieAuntie Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote:
    As much as I like Scottie, let's not forget he's been syndicated before, first when at Hallam, then at Century and then again at Magic in Yorkshire and it wasn't well received on the whole.

As for Real Radio Scotland, while Scottie would be a good addition I feel he's too attached to the myth and history of Scot FM. GMG have spent three years successfully detaching themselves from that so therefore the signing of Scottie could be regarded as a backwards step?

Although Real has reintroduced a chat element in its night-time output in Yorkshire, so never say never.
    Sorry, beg to differI think you'll find he was/still is an absolute legend on Hallam and TFM etc. so I would say au contraire he was very well received in Yorks/Lancs if you remember he left Hallam for Century around '98.
    As for REAL that's history, speech wise, he hasn't been on that for about ten years I can't see he would take a backward step either I still think his next step has to be national
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auntie wrote:
    Sorry, beg to differI think you'll find he was/still is an absolute legend on Hallam and TFM etc. so I would say au contraire he was very well received in Yorks/Lancs if you remember he left Hallam for Century around '98.

I thought he wasn't well received in Teeside (TFM) and Liverpool (Magic 1548) because he replaced popular long-standing presenters - Tom Davies and Pete Price respectively. There was even a petition in Liverpool!!! (Also I'm not sure of the Lancs references IIRC the show networked out of Hallam was never carried in Lancashire, he appeared there previous to Scot and obviously later on Century)

The Century networking to the East Midlands went down like a fart in a lift, but to be far to Scottie that was probably more to do with the people in the East Midlands than him. :D
    As for REAL that's history, speech wise, he hasn't been on that for about ten years I can't see he would take a backward step either I still think his next step has to be national

We'll see but the times I've heard Scottie at his best is when he can concentrate on a particular geographical area and a trait - like the dropped bums in Barnsley.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. It was another gudden for phone-ins! Hallam FM's phone in Nick at Night did well again. Cooking the compettiton's goose more than ever before.

So much so that Real Radio Yorkshire are so desperate to be able to compete that they've made poor old Umberto try his hand at one.

Your arrogence amazes me.

Real Radio are desperate to compete? I don't think so. Your own history of radio in the North West should mean that you know that Umberto is one of the NW's most legendary phone-in presenters, having been on Piccadilly Radio/1152 for over 15 years.

Besides, the two shows are incredibly different. You're an imitation of Stannage but without the experience, and Umberto is a continuation of himself. He's soft, cuddly and trustable on air, you're acerbic and aim to be controversial. Such differing shows can both sit on the same airwaves. You should be more glad that the man being discussed on this thread is no longer on the radio in Yorkshire, he was more of a direct threat to you.

Say what you like on air - listeners can be brainwashed - but radio pros on here can't be.

Dinky Doo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote:
    I thought he wasn't well received in Teeside (TFM) and Liverpool (Magic 1548) because he replaced popular long-standing presenters - Tom Davies and Pete Price respectively. There was even a petition in Liverpool!!! (Also I'm not sure of the Lancs references IIRC the show networked out of Hallam was never carried in Lancashire, he appeared there previous to Scot and obviously later on Century)

The Century networking to the East Midlands went down like a fart in a lift, but to be far to Scottie that was probably more to do with the people in the East Midlands than him. :D

We'll see but the times I've heard Scottie at his best is when he can concentrate on a particular geographical area and a trait - like the dropped bums in Barnsley.[/QUOTE.
    fai enough, isn't Liverpool Lancs. as well?
    also I'd heard the figures went shooting up in East Midlands as well. I also think we have to be very careful that we pick up on what Scottie is about.
    I feel he often engineers a situation where people end up not liking him and start say things like 'he should be sacked' 'he's terrible' etc. but his audiences get bigger and bigger while the naive get swept along in the game he tends to divide and rule opinion and it obviously works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    sausages wrote:
    Your arrogence amazes me.

Real Radio are desperate to compete? I don't think so. Your own history of radio in the North West should mean that you know that Umberto is one of the NW's most legendary phone-in presenters, having been on Piccadilly Radio/1152 for over 15 years.

Sorry mate, I'd never heard of the guy until recently. Don't get me wrong I wish him well, like you say there's plenty of audience to go round at night. I've been challenging other radio stations on air to put a talkshow up against me for ages. It's too easy at the moment, we're cleaning up!

You're right about one thing though Real Radio can't really compete, they're all over the place with listening figures like a Yo-Yo. They missed a trick with Scottie McClue and I hope whoever screwed that up goes red faced whenever the idea of a talkshow is mentioned.

NM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auntie wrote:
    dpb wrote:

We'll see but the times I've heard Scottie at his best is when he can concentrate on a particular geographical area and a trait - like the dropped bums in Barnsley.[/QUOTE.
    fai enough, isn't Liverpool Lancs. as well?
    also I'd heard the figures went shooting up in East Midlands as well. I also think we have to be very careful that we pick up on what Scottie is about.
    I feel he often engineers a situation where people end up not liking him and start say things like 'he should be sacked' 'he's terrible' etc. but his audiences get bigger and bigger while the naive get swept along in the game he tends to divide and rule opinion and it obviously works.

Liverpool is in Merseyside.

I was told the figures went down in the East Midlands and they came from someone who was working at Century at the time on another radio forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote:
    Auntie wrote:

Liverpool is in Merseyside.

I was told the figures went down in the East Midlands and they came from someone who was working at Century at the time on another radio forum.
    I think pre Merseyside it was Lancs.
    The Century figures would probably just be someone else's jealousy as McClue has never gone downwards figures wise on any station it's a well known fact both in and outside the business.
  • Options
    littlepepperlittlepepper Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auntie wrote:
    dpb wrote:
    The Century figures would probably just be someone else's jealousy as McClue has never gone downwards figures wise on any station it's a well known fact both in and outside the business.

Aye Auntie..it's Merseyside now but previously Lancs. I think too as boundary shifts and renaming are the order of the day.

As for the figures...no idea really re. specific listener hours per show as not in the business but I do know,as a listener, Scottie IS The Business IMHO. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auntie wrote:
    dpb wrote:

But it wasn't in Lancashire at the time that Scottie was networked to Magic 1548.

The person who gave the information about the figures said that they had no axe to grind as they were a long-term friend of Scottie's and actually worked with him elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote:
    Auntie wrote:

But it wasn't in Lancashire at the time that Scottie was networked to Magic 1548.

The person who gave the information about the figures said that they had no axe to grind as they were a long-term friend of Scottie's and actually worked with him elsewhere.
    Magic 1548 also covers Lancs.
    so we're both right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auntie wrote:
    dpb wrote:
    Magic 1548 also covers Lancs.
    so we're both right.

It covers *parts* of Lancs:

Going from http://213.232.114.127/rab/map/rab.asp?station=188&zooml=Snug Magic 1548 serves the Ormskirk and Skelmsdale (and is Southport Lancs?) parts of Lancashire.

Map of Lancashire here: http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environment/lancashireprofile/lancashiremap.asp

Magic 999 covers the majority of Lancashire though. http://213.232.114.127/rab/map/rab.asp?station=91&zooml=Snug
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote:
    Auntie wrote:

It covers *parts* of Lancs:
    Going from http://213.232.114.127/rab/map/rab.asp?station=188&zooml=Snug Magic 1548 serves the Ormskirk and Skelmsdale (and is Southport Lancs?) parts of Lancashire.

Map of Lancashire here: http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environment/lancashireprofile/lancashiremap.asp

Magic 999 covers the majority of Lancashire though. http://213.232.114.127/rab/map/rab.asp?station=91&zooml=Snug
    good, well we're agreed I think that's sorted now.
    McClue was also was massive on Magic 999 when it was Red Rose Gold
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auntie wrote:
    dpb wrote:
    good, well we're agreed I think that's sorted now.
    McClue was also was massive on Magic 999 when it was Red Rose Gold

Now then.
    Was that where he was when he decided ,agin all advice as his audience was huge there (I know this as I've heard him mention it on 'Trial by Night' here in Scotland in 1996 I think it was) to give a Phone In on a new station in Scotia a wee go?...and that was massive as it turned out. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry mate, I'd never heard of the guy until recently. Don't get me wrong I wish him well, like you say there's plenty of audience to go round at night. I've been challenging other radio stations on air to put a talkshow up against me for ages. It's too easy at the moment, we're cleaning up!

You're right about one thing though Real Radio can't really compete, they're all over the place with listening figures like a Yo-Yo. They missed a trick with Scottie McClue and I hope whoever screwed that up goes red faced whenever the idea of a talkshow is mentioned.

NM

You're challenging stations? Give me a break! Stations with any sense will lead with strong programming, they'll not react to the output of other stations. (Pedants note: This is different to being aware of the output of other stations, just don't let what they're doing scare you).

Your station had a heritage of great phone-in shows. I hope you do well. But beware. Umberto is well loved. Alex Hall has heritage across Yorkshire. Galaxy is incredibly successful. You should be glad of small mercies like the fact that Richard Allinson isn't on R2, and that Scottie isn't on in your patch.

I admire your confident outlook, but if confidence becomes arrogence, it'll trip you up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sausages wrote:
    You're challenging stations? Give me a break! Stations with any sense will lead with strong programming, they'll not react to the output of other stations. (Pedants note: This is different to being aware of the output of other stations, just don't let what they're doing scare you).

Your station had a heritage of great phone-in shows. I hope you do well. But beware. Umberto is well loved. Alex Hall has heritage across Yorkshire. Galaxy is incredibly successful. You should be glad of small mercies like the fact that Richard Allinson isn't on R2, and that Scottie isn't on in your patch.

I admire your confident outlook, but if confidence becomes arrogence, it'll trip you up.
    Oh I don't know that that is always the case. Scottie McClue in the right market is a serious commercial threat to the competition.
    Many people will remember that when he joined Century 105 in Manchester in about 1998.
    James Stannage lost audience to panic levels and Piccadilly immediately reacted by taking him from Magic 1152 (AM) and sticking him on Key103 (FM).
    Radio City in Liverpool also had to take evasive action as they were running scared too so other stations can be more than just aware of the competition. Stannage is still on FM thanks to McClue and doing very nicely but there is no other serious competition in that market at the moment.
    So this guy is not all arrogance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auntie wrote:
    Oh I don't know that that is always the case. Scottie McClue in the right market is a serious commercial threat to the competition.
    Many people will remember that when he joined Century 105 in Manchester in about 1998.
    James Stannage lost audience to panic levels and Piccadilly immediately reacted by taking him from Magic 1152 (AM) and sticking him on Key103 (FM).
    <snip>

I thought they moved Stannage to Key (and axed the phone-ins hosted by Mark Keen and Pete Price) because Emap rolled the 'more music' format from London to the AM services thereby making Stannage's show not fit into the new format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote:
    I thought they moved Stannage to Key (and axed the phone-ins hosted by Mark Keen and Pete Price) because Emap rolled the 'more music' format from London to the AM services thereby making Stannage's show not fit into the new format.
    I believe that was later.
    Pccadilly tried despeartely to hang on to the Piccadilly Gold 1152 format as long as possible as the very experienced management knew that the the Magic tag was likely to be a kiss of death but they were forced into change and it got them in the end as Magic is now just a shadow of it's former self.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, another point:
    Auntie wrote:
    <snip>
    James Stannage lost audience to panic levels and Piccadilly immediately reacted by taking him from Magic 1152 (AM) and sticking him on Key103 (FM). <snip>

James debuted on Key 103 in January 2000 (I remember this for a particular personal reason) whereas Scottie was on Century 105 from September 1998. Hardly immediate.

I think Scottie's presence in the market played a part in Piccadilly keeping the phone-in but he wasn't the only factor.
  • Options
    Brad SpacemanBrad Spaceman Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find McClue entering any area causes panic unheard of elsewhere in radio.

I believe during his brief stint on Q96 in Scotland, he became one of the main topics of conversation on another station running a nightime phone-in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find McClue entering any area causes panic unheard of elsewhere in radio.

I believe during his brief stint on Q96 in Scotland, he became one of the main topics of conversation on another station running a nightime phone-in.

I seem to remember having heard that too.
    His Phone -Ins will always ,imho but I'm just a listener, provoke listener response and controversy but within defined limits which don't really overstep into bad taste and provide entertainmentand very probably worry to others broadcasting at the same time in the same area : more especially if attempting a similar type of show on their station I would imagine...but who am I to talk?...just a listener who listens.
    I see another thread about Phone In hosts and Scottie has often been accused of being controversial for the sake of getting folks to phone in.
    Well ,what's wrong with that per se provided you set boundaries and ,when callers respond, treat them with respect if they are coherent and polite tho' differing in opinion: Scottie always acts that way with such callers.

He's only in true 'Scottie' mode when the caller is offensive or can't substantiate the point he/she has called in to make and then, only then, the dogs of war are unleashed and quite rightly so as Scottie is the one being abused but he tempers his response, even then, with humour which entertains.
    There are certain subjects I'm sure he wouldn't touch at all and were he so to do I'd be the first...aye ye read correctly ;) ...to tune out but a Phone In is safe in his hands.
    Just my opinion. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote:
    Sorry, another point:

James debuted on Key 103 in January 2000 (I remember this for a particular personal reason) whereas Scottie was on Century 105 from September 1998. Hardly immediate.

I think Scottie's presence in the market played a part in Piccadilly keeping the phone-in but he wasn't the only factor.
    What were the other factors?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Auntie wrote:
    What were the other factors?

What a lame way of trying to keep this thread at the top. :rolleyes:

Are you really interested in the other factors involved in Picadilly keeping their phone-in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Hart wrote:

Are you really interested in the other factors involved in Picadilly keeping their phone-in?

It's Auntie's place to answer the latter of your questions, Danny but again you seem more inclined, imho, to respond ,not to the post but make remarks about the poster.
    I'm at a loss as to what you mean re. your first remark as I think the thread has been well down the listings for a few days and ,in fairness,who brought it to the top in the last post? ;)
    It's had lots of 'hits' so some folks think Scottie worth reading about or posting about.
    If you don't enjoy Scottie's shows then fine but say why rather than 'have a go' at those who do. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Danny Hart wrote:

Yep I've been a big Stannage fan since the start I don't think that's 'lame' do you? the guy's a good broadcaster and like Scottie has stood the test of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else hear the Ceilidh last night?
    I know the music may not be to everyone's taste but the presenting is informative and entertaining.
    Lots of folks emailing and writing in from 'foreign parts' and I don't mean Inverness. :)

I'm up early to get the lunch all organised so we can all enjoy the Phone In at 10am...also due to the light mornings and birdsong!
This discussion has been closed.