Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be the name of its next operating system (OS).

The choice is a surprise bearing in mind it represents a jump from the last version - Windows 8.

The software will run on a wide range of devices from smartphones and tablets to PCs and Xbox games consoles, with applications sold from a single store.

It also marks the return of the Start Menu, which had been removed from Windows 8.

In addition to offering a list of the user’s favourite applications, the menu also brings up resizable tiles - similar to those featured in Windows 8's touch-centric interface - on PCs and tablets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412

Comments

• TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I guess that means 8.1 was really Windows 9 all along!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Trajet wrote: »
    So I guess that means 8.1 was really Windows 9 all along!

So if that was the case then why did they not call it Windows 9 then? Or was the 8/8.1 thing a throwback to the old days of Windows 3.0/Windows 3.1?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *deleted * duplicate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they listened and as so many 8 users and buyers likely felt 'had' Microsoft thought a single increment would not do.

Microsoft self congratulatory gave this one a 10.
    Laters the dial goes all the way to 11.
    :rolleyes:
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    So if that was the case then why did they not call it Windows 9 then? Or was the 8/8.1 thing a throwback to the old days of Windows 3.0/Windows 3.1?

Exactly. Windows 7 was good so, on the basis that every other OS they do is a stonking lemon, then calling it Windows 9 would have had good vibes about. Calling it Windows 10 is 2 up from Windows 8 and the psychological message that will be sent out is that Windows 10 will be a right royal pig's ear clusterf*ck like Windows 8. :o
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Of everything they mentioned about the new OS, the only thing that is being discussed is what it's called!! Madness.....
    The new Start menu will satisfy those that need it.
    The new Task view is a big improvement.
    Snap assist. Handy
    Universal apps, about time....
    etc etc.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the windows 10 Tech Preview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NI5fjTfpQ

The start menu is too big, it goes along half the screen >:(
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Windows 7 was good so, on the basis that every other OS they do is a stonking lemon, then calling it Windows 9 would have had good vibes about. Calling it Windows 10 is 2 up from Windows 8 and the psychological message that will be sent out is that Windows 10 will be a right royal pig's ear clusterf*ck like Windows 8. :o

Personally, I think, nay would even bet money that W10 will be another W7 and then some. I suspect MS will really pull it out of the fire with this release.

As a Mac user and now only occasional Windows user (apart from work that is) I'm actually looking forward to this version.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 9 has fallen down the back of the couch ;)

If you want a copy of Windows 10 you can find it here from 1st October:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-coming-soon

Be warned it will probably be buggy!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why they've decided to skip a number. Talk about stupid.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pyschology?

Perhaps 9 has an air of being "not quite 10 (X)" about it.
    Forum Member

No I think Windows 10 will be another W7 for them. Windows 8.x was a disaster and they might get some respect back in the business world now with this new version. I'd say W10 will be good and W11 (if there is one) will be bad. I can see people waiting now for Windows 10 before replacing their computers. Will there be launch parties? Even though I'm a Mac user (with a W7 partition and living in a family of Windows users) I might still be tempted to attend one just for the fun of it :D
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Here is the windows 10 Tech Preview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NI5fjTfpQ

The start menu is too big, it goes along half the screen >:(

I hope those darned tiles/apps attached to the Start Menu (that make it so huge) can be ditched! No use to me otherwise, but I think Classic Shell will fix that for me. :D
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As pointed out elsewhere, Windows 9.x sounds a bit like Windows 95/98 so could cause confusion.

I have long suspected that the Microsoft Marketing department is run by a bunch of maniacs, given the bizzaire naming strategies they come up with. However, they knew they had to distance themselves from Windows 8 in a big way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is the fact that consumer and business releases are alternated.
    Both ME and Vista were consumer so had a very short lifespan. Maybe 98 was consumer too.

NT, XP and Windows 7 lasted longer being more business orientated. It being much harder to get business to throw away old PCs is maybe the reason for better memory management on these.

We really do have businesses to thank for XP lasting as long as it did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    As pointed out elsewhere, Windows 9.x sounds a bit like Windows 95/98 so could cause confusion. ....However, they knew they had to distance themselves from Windows 8 in a big way.

The thing is they jumped from Windows 3 to alpha or year related, coming back to numbers at 7. I would assume Windows 4 , 5 and 6 were the codes for such as 2000 NT and XP.

But where did 9 go to ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just stupid calling it 10.
    The press today are having a field day today on that.
    I think they should have called it Windows One (not windows 1.0 that Gates invented) to share with One note/One drive/Xbox One, just confusing still MS.
    They made a point of One in the live event, One Product family, One platform, One store. It would have worked so well as new start, new name.
    Love the comments in the Q&A after the live event, what lion or mountain will it be called?

The live event from yesterday is here in the MS youtube page and also a vid showing a continuum demo here

Will look forwards to getting the technical preview build later today, will be running it myself in a VM.
    http://preview.windows.com

Looks like we will not see Windows 10 until late 2015. Will the consumer wait that long or will the likes of the new 12.9 inch iPad tablet put a further dent in MS.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

It makes as much sense as any of the decisions they made with Windows 8!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's quite common for software companies to jump a version number for various reasons. v13 is often skipped as some people are superstitious and if a previous version has had a lot of bad press then going +2 says "it's not just different, it's really different!"

Microsoft may be getting a lot of laughs in the media over this but it all counts as publicity. They are getting much more news coverage than if it had been called Windows 9 (or even 8.2)
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh... Oversized tiles on the start menu. Great.

Improvement over the children's area that is the Start Screen on Windows 8 though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    As pointed out elsewhere, Windows 9.x sounds a bit like Windows 95/98 so could cause confusion.

I have long suspected that the Microsoft Marketing department is run by a bunch of maniacs, given the bizzaire naming strategies they come up with. However, they knew they had to distance themselves from Windows 8 in a big way.

Damn, I was going to suggest that! The whole 8/8.1 issue - should have spotted that.

Probably they can't go Windows X as it sounds a bit Apple-ish-ly and also Windows X.x would get confusing or even X.i or X.ii, because let's face it, they're going to revise it.

Even the 'good' ones. :D
  • Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member

Windows VIsta
    Windows 7
    Windows 8
    Windows 8.1 - 8+1 = 9

or maybe Windows 7 ate 9
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fundamental in any business that you don't change the user interface.

Only companies with a dominant market position ever do this because any other company would go out of business if they did it.

So the major user-interface shift in Win 8 was a terrible judgement, they only got away with it because of their dominant market position. But I bet it helped many people give up on Windows.

Is the traditional user-interface back in Win 10? If not it will only hasten the MS decline.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Maybe it is the fact that consumer and business releases are alternated.
    Both ME and Vista were consumer so had a very short lifespan. Maybe 98 was consumer too.

NT, XP and Windows 7 lasted longer being more business orientated. It being much harder to get business to throw away old PCs is maybe the reason for better memory management on these.

We really do have businesses to thank for XP lasting as long as it did.

Windows ME and Vista had such a short lifespan because they were piles of dung, not because they were consumer OSes. ME wasn't even a Windows version, it was just a collection of bugs that should never have been released. The only good thing that came outta that version was System Restore - if your computer would boot up, that is :D Vista was crap as well. It's always been banned in my house and that won't change. Windows 98 was consumer as well but 98SE was usable up until 2004/2005.

My old 2003 XP desktop originally had Windows NT4 installed! It was a business machine and dad had to help me install XP on it (I was 13 at the time but I knew what I was doing. He'd give me the instructions and I'd follow them). Windows XP lasted so well partly because it was both business and consumer oriented and Vista sucked. If Windows Longhorn had been released in 2005/2006 then maybe XP would have died out in 2010 after Windows 7 came out. I can see W7 sticking around til 2020 unless everyone goes mad for Windows 10.
    Windows VIsta
    Windows 7
    Windows 8
    Windows 8.1 - 8+1 = 9

or maybe Windows 7 ate 9

Haha :D:D:D
    shhftw wrote: »
    Damn, I was going to suggest that! The whole 8/8.1 issue - should have spotted that.

Probably they can't go Windows X as it sounds a bit Apple-ish-ly and also Windows X.x would get confusing or even X.i or X.ii, because let's face it, they're going to revise it.

Even the 'good' ones. :D

I always thought the 8/8.1 thing was a throwback to the Windows 3.0/3.1/3.11 era. Apple's version numbering wouldn't really work for Windows. They're two completely different OSes :p