What's a better phone? iPhone 5 v note 2

2»

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    The S3 camera is not superb. Neither is the camera on the 4S. They're okay, but not superb. Both generate way too much noise, but thats a result of having a tiny sensor.

Why the hell have you brought the 4S camera into it? That was rubbish but the S3 camera is superb in fact. I have it, you dont. Your 'opinion' means nothing.
    My works phone is a 4S; personal phone is a Nokia 808 - which absolutely blows the 4S and S3 out of the park on imaging ability. Audio recording is the other area where the S3 and 4S truly suck (try getting a decent recording at a live gig on them, doesn't happen).

The S3 had its codec updated in JB so taking vids of gigs is now fine. Problem is, the nokia 808 is hidious so i would never dream of having one! Having played with an 808 i thought it was a bit cheap looking and feeling.
    As for build, I'm basing my comments on having used plenty of them at work (telco, we have the S3 or 4S as company phones)

And im basing mine on owning it for 6 months.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    App availability; there's possibly a slight edge for the Note, as I don't know how rapidly developers will be updating for the revised screen on the 5. Android apps just tend to scale automatically to whatever screen you're using.

It's a bit mixed, at the moment, unfortunately.

A lot of apps and games have been updated for the iPhone 5 quite quickly... yet there are also quite a few that still have not been updated for it, in particular BBC iPlayer, 4oD, Sky Go, ITV Player, Demand Five... Rather lame that many video apps have not updated for the 16:9 display! :rolleyes:
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Why the hell have you brought the 4S camera into it? That was rubbish but the S3 camera is superb in fact. I have it, you dont. Your 'opinion' means nothing.

The S3 had its codec updated in JB so taking vids of gigs is now fine. Problem is, the nokia 808 is hidious so i would never dream of having one! Having played with an 808 i thought it was a bit cheap looking and feeling.

And im basing mine on owning it for 6 months.

And your opinion means something?

The S3 camera is *not* superb, its just okay. In virtually every comparison it comes just behind the 4S on stills (pretty damn close, not much to choose between them). I've done side-by-sides of the S3 (owned by friends), the 4S and the 808. Only one of them takes truly decent pictures.

Gig recording - its as much about audio recording, and unless you've actually changed the microphones built into the S3, you'll still get clipping or massively reduced dynamic range. I've found it painfully listening to videos taken with S3s ....

Unsure which is most valid though, one persons ownership of a product, or an office full of them and the devices generally getting hammered (there's something about company phones, people really do tend to abuse them).
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unsure which is most valid though, one persons ownership of a product, or an office full of them and the devices generally getting hammered (there's something about company phones, people really do tend to abuse them).

I'd go with personal ownership as the best guide. I have an iPhone for my work phone and barely use any feature aside from work calls and emails. I certainly don't "hammer" it, unless you include the lack of care and attention I give it owing to the fact it's not mine.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    very grew people actually care that much about camera on phone to make it an issue to buy one
    on anyway. All modern phones take adequate pics nowadays.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like my dad who has decided that the camera on the iphone 4 is better than the camera on the s3 despite not owning the s3. He bases this on the fact that in his opinion the Camera on the iphone 4 was better than the camera on the s2.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    And your opinion means something?

The S3 camera is *not* superb, its just okay. In virtually every comparison it comes just behind the 4S on stills (pretty damn close, not much to choose between them). I've done side-by-sides of the S3 (owned by friends), the 4S and the 808. Only one of them takes truly decent pictures.

Gig recording - its as much about audio recording, and unless you've actually changed the microphones built into the S3, you'll still get clipping or massively reduced dynamic range. I've found it painfully listening to videos taken with S3s ....

The camera is actually superb in good lighting condition. I had the 4S and the shots on the S3 are much better. Comparing my shots from my holiday in June with my 4S and the shots in the same place on holiday in October with the S3, the S3 wins along with the videos. Mine isn't opinion. Its having used the device daily for hours and hours every day for months. Yours however, is just your opinion based on using it for a few mins.

The mic doesn't need changed. It was a codec issue which has been fixed in JB.

But by your own account YOU don't have one. That's like me saying the 808 is useless. I have no idea because I don't own one!
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the high-end devices have OK cameras for the majority of uses, but I'd still use an actual camera as my first choice.

Whilst I appreciate that in cameraphone terms none of the others will match up to the 808 because of the technology involved, for me that's academic because the rest of the device (operating system, choice of available apps, accessories etc) lets it down, so I just would never consider it as my main phone.

It's a great proof of concept, but the 808 would require me to make far too many other compromises just for the sake of a good camera.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the high-end devices have OK cameras for the majority of uses, but I'd still use an actual camera as my first choice.

Whilst I appreciate that in cameraphone terms none of the others will match up to the 808 because of the technology involved, for me that's academic because the rest of the device (operating system, choice of available apps, accessories etc) lets it down, so I just would never consider it as my main phone.

It's a great proof of concept, but the 808 would require me to make far too many other compromises just for the sake of a good camera.

This is why I don't buy any Nokia phones any more.
  • Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    add my 2p to this little discussion I have a Note 1 best friend has S3 daughter has Iphone 4s wife has Galaxy s2

I love my Note it is a great phone and no doubt the Note 2 is slightly better

the camera side is where I get all prickly as I am a photographer and sell images through an agency using high end equipment

the fact is that no Mobile phone is in the same street as even the cheapest of DSLR cameras - no agency would accept any image bar sensational news story type image because the quality is just not there

so it amuses me to see on threads like this that mobile cameras are 'superb' which they are clearly not

an example of this i shot a bunch of images with my Note on Tenerife (around 100) my daughter shot 700 images with the iphone 4s
    she thinks they are great bless her
    the question being how many of her images would I bin or keep
    1 image out of 700 was what I would call a great image the rest sadly would go in the recycle bin
    out of the 100 or so I shot on my note I would bin the lot as the quality is just not there at all - and as such that is the reason I dont use it for taking pictures at all

so in essence people who are not into photography look at the results they get with a mobile phone and really rate it... borrow your friends bottom end DSLR for half a day and you will see what I am saying

for the handy odd snapshot of a static subject in good lighting conditions they are OK but for anything other than that I dont see it

as a phone my best friends S3 is the daddy as both a phone and the camera is slightly better than the others - but I would not buy a phone on the basis of how good the camera is

I am more interested in how the browsing experience is which is where my note blows the others away due to the bigger screen which fits into every pocket I have including shirt pocket
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Apple shapes the iPhone towards exuding a premium feeling, as it is also a status symbol or social statement for many. The previous edition was somewhat heavy for its size, because of the all-glass construction, but now with the iPhone 5 we have an amazingly thin and light handset for something made out of glass and aluminum.

The Galaxy Note II, on the other hand, is a behemoth of a handset still, despite its slightly thinner and narrower body than what we had with the original Note. A 5.5” display can’t be fit into anything much smaller, so try before you buy to make sure this thing is for you.