Jonathan Ross to sit in for Steve Wright for a week

Comments

• GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    He recently appeared on Tipping Point and Now Radio2. Is he gone freelance? I don't think the chat show is doing that we'll?

I think he's served his time at the dark side that is ITV & the Beeb are willing to let him have another go; I do think his ITV chat show is better than his BBC show ever was, but Graham norton still edges it on TV for me. On the radio is another matter - Graham Norton is great but very different to Ross, I don't think the two compare, but Norton fits in better with R2's current set up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Why don't they give Esther Rantzen a chance or Mary Berry, she would be great.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they give Esther Rantzen a chance or Mary Berry, she would be great.

Probably because it's not 1980 any more.

You'll be asking for Judith Chalmers back next.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    So talented and enterraining broadcaster who has always been very popular on Radio 2 or Richard Allinson. That is a tough choice.

Allison was deemed good enough to put on the stations most high profile show last week so he can't be that bad.

Let's just listen to Ross and see what the shows like before passing judgement eh?
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be an Interesting handover from Jeremy Vine at 2pm as he had too report on his show,at the time about the sashgate. I don't think he was too happy.

I wonder if the BBC will employ Lesley Douglas again?
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Allison was deemed good enough to put on the stations most high profile show last week so he can't be that bad.

Let's just listen to Ross and see what the shows like before passing judgement eh?

Allinson has also been hovering around Radio 2 for years and usually shoved to the middle of the night and cover shows. He's never had a decent timeslot of his own. He can't be that good either. He is an average joe safe pair of hands. He can read texts and jock up the vocals with the best of them but thats where it ends.

Ross has proved himself time and time again to be a good all round broadcaster. He is an entertainer whereas Allinson is just a dj.
  • welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great. I'll be tuning in for the first time in years !!
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,670
    Forum Member

He's not bad at all, OK he did struggle with the quiz to win tickets to Proms in the Park but his presenting skills are superb even if a little bland for some.

I thiink he was given breakfast cover to appease him a little for losing his weekend overnight shows next month, although the official word was that he'd be used for cover work I personally feel that once his overnight shows go then he may be back for a couple of weeks covering for Chris at Xmas but apart from that in 2015 we won't hear him again on Radio 2
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone actually thought that Johnnie Walker et al may not actually want to do weekday cover and are perfectly happy with their weekly show?

At least Jonathan Ross adds a biting variety, although I doubt he's cheap. And at least he's not Mr Kielty. Would still like to see Sara Cox or Chris Moyles have a go.

The fact they're willing to give Wossy another chance opens up the possibility that maybe we could hear Moyles on the station in the future..if he want's to return to radio. He seems to be happy tweeting pictures of his dinner and stuff right now

PS I notice that the show is billed as 'The Jonathan Ross Show' on Digiguide. Normally they just have the name of the DJ.Is there any significance to that I wonder?
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »

Also, I actually think Jonathan knows more about music than Steve Wright does. Steve Wright always strikes me as very cheesy and the kind of DJ who will, if in doubt, just play Phil Collins. At least we can safely expect Jonathan Ross not to play Phil Collins.

I think you're probably right. I watched an old documentary this week in which Steve Wright was asked about his time on Radio One. He said when he was hired he told the boss that he didn't know much about music so he wanted to do a show in which he just talked rubbish and larked about. He's made a great career out of it !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if he'll be reunited with Andy Davis at the controls?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Allinson has also been hovering around Radio 2 for years and usually shoved to the middle of the night and cover shows. He's never had a decent timeslot of his own. He can't be that good either. He is an average joe safe pair of hands. He can read texts and jock up the vocals with the best of them but thats where it ends.

Ross has proved himself time and time again to be a good all round broadcaster. He is an entertainer whereas Allinson is just a dj.

I totally agree with you. I was just pointing out that a guy they mess around for years and is currently in a weekend graveyard slot (soon to be no more) is deemed good enough for the stations flagship show.
    Forum Member
    It'll be an Interesting handover from Jeremy Vine at 2pm as he had too report on his show,at the time about the sashgate. I don't think he was too happy.

I wonder if the BBC will employ Lesley Douglas again?

Water under the bridge I'd imagine, Vine and Ross are both professionals and although they may not be the best of buddies I'm sure they're over it now, in any case vine just has to report on what he's told to report on, it was nothing personal.

Lesley resigned from her job as she thought it was the right thing to do, I'm sure that if a suitable position came up she might apply but I'd have thought that she doesn't need to given her current position with Universal Music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand it was too be Patrick Kielty to cover, but now doing the Saturdays for Graham Norton until he returns.
  • mark mayhewmark mayhew Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Are you saying you have the inside track-I don't think so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying you have the inside track-I don't think so.

Indeed, typical of that poster putting 2 and 2 together and getting 574.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand it was too be Patrick Kielty to cover, but now doing the Saturdays for Graham Norton until he returns.

I am sure his missus will have something to say about him "doing the Saturdays". :D

In the unlikely event that was actually correct then why would they have not gave Ross the Saturday show and put Paddy on afternoons?
    Forum Member

In the unlikely event that was actually correct then why would they have not gave Ross the Saturday show and put Paddy on afternoons?

Because he's better than Norton, the idea is to try to find people worse than the regular presenter - they've certainly managed that so far, only shocked that we haven't yet had Rhod Gilbert shouting us out of bed:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Because he's better than Norton, the idea is to try to find people worse than the regular presenter - they've certainly managed that so far, only shocked that we haven't yet had Rhod Gilbert shouting us out of bed:o

That's why PK did breakfast during the time when Rajar isn't counted and Wrighty too. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why PK did breakfast during the time when Rajar isn't counted and Wrighty too. :D

With respect that is nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »

Well it could be argued that Ross is better than Wright too but that's not hard to beat.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once sacked he should remain sacked.

He clearly has no respect for anyone other than himself.

Correct, a slap in the face for Andrew Sachs >:(>:(>:(
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pubcrawler wrote: »
    Seriously get over it. I don't think I have respect for Sachs especially his wife who is still milking it after all these years.
  • GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pubcrawler wrote: »

Has he not "served his time" away from the BBC? In a similar vein, is ITV et al employing him a similar slap in the face to Andrew Sachs? At the time, this was a poor attempt at comedy gone awry, and poor production misjudgement, nothing more. I think it's time to move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think everyone needs to get over the past and move on. The BBC feels comfortable hiring him again for this one off cover work.