Options

Is the house all it seems?

IamnotananorakIamnotananorak Posts: 244
Forum Member
I mention this as I noticed that when there has been anyone at the front door, whoever greets them in the hall appears to travel downstairs from at least the 2nd floor. I attended training courses held in a similar style of house in Central London. The house was set out that the ground and 1st floors being used as training rooms appeared to be the original reception rooms and bedrooms. However the 2nd floor and above were used as offices and it was noticeable that the grand stair case stopped being grand beyond the 1st floor. This suggests that in these types of houses the upper floors were and are still considered lesser accomodation.

In previous series I have noticed that for a property with plenty of bedrooms, the sleeping arrangements are dormitories with bunk beds.When the house in Notting Hill was used, the shape of the windows in a internal shot compared to the external view, showed the candidates on the 5th floor, in other words the attic. In one of the early series when Alan Sugar called at the house being used. He used the side entrance, which would point towards the servants quarters.

When the house is provided, is on the understanding from the owners that the candidates keep away from the best areas?

Comments

• Options
    JamesbucJamesbuc Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    In all honestly, theres probably a section of the house shut off from the candidates for production purposes, either for editing/storage of film or for some of the production team to stay over. Thats my guess anyway after seeing other shows which have done similar.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have areas used as bases for each team when they are working 'at home' and there are the communial areas. But I'd agree that its odd that they end up sleeping in 'dorms' in what is supposed to be the height of luxury accommodation.

These older houses would have been less grand the higher you went - the ground floor was where the family showed off to their friends, first floor was the family bedrooms then the floors above were for the servants - the lowlier the servant the higher they had to climb to get to bed!
  • Options
    TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesbuc wrote: »
    In all honestly, theres probably a section of the house shut off from the candidates for production purposes, either for editing/storage of film or for some of the production team to stay over. Thats my guess anyway after seeing other shows which have done similar.

Yeah thats what I thought. Some conditions aren't great. In Series 3, Gerri Blackwood claimed the female candidates only had access to one shower and, consequently had to shower together. I don't know how accurate that is though.
    Shrike wrote: »
    They have areas used as bases for each team when they are working 'at home' and there are the communial areas. But I'd agree that its odd that they end up sleeping in 'dorms' in what is supposed to be the height of luxury accommodation.

I don't think even Lord Sugar can provide a house with sixteen different bedrooms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    I don't think even Lord Sugar can provide a house with sixteen different bedrooms.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/BECWIN/london-beckton

Job done :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a set and they 'act' the getting up, answering the 'phone, walking around in undies bit.
  • Options
    fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    what about when they did the kids one? if i was in a big house like that when i was 16 it would be wrecked.
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about when they did the kids one? if i was in a big house like that when i was 16 it would be wrecked.

They must have had adult supervision (for legal, moral and common sense reasons) and probably catering staff too.

That's a thought: are the adults expected to cook for themselves? Even that seems unlikely, if you think about task timescales.
  • Options
    cookie_365cookie_365 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    But I'd agree that its odd that they end up sleeping in 'dorms' in what is supposed to be the height of luxury accommodation.
    I've always assumed that it's a deliberate psychological trick - treat them like children, and they behave like children, so better TV.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a set and they 'act' the getting up, answering the 'phone, walking around in undies bit.

They must know they are about to be called as there is a camera crew in the house. I don't imagine they hang around all the time!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every week someone runs all the way downstairs to answer a cordless phone. Surely by now they'd have worked out that it would be quicker to keep the phone upstairs?
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything is carefully set up in order to make good TV. It's definitely a real house - I thought they were properties that Sugar owns as part of his property business, but I may be wrong on that one.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Every week someone runs all the way downstairs to answer a cordless phone. Surely by now they'd have worked out that it would be quicker to keep the phone upstairs?

Yes, but then we wouldn't see the girls running around in their skimpies ! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »

TBH, I have a cordless phone but I still leave it downstairs when I sleep.
  • Options
    JamesbucJamesbuc Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    Yeah thats what I thought. Some conditions aren't great. In Series 3, Gerri Blackwood claimed the female candidates only had access to one shower and, consequently had to shower together. I don't know how accurate that is though.

I wouldn't really trust anything that Gerri wound up saying to be honest, she claims things were 'sexed up' but no such shower shots happened. She just seemed bitter about the fact she was booted early and wanted to kick out at the whole thing anyway she could.
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they were properties that Sugar owns as part of his property business, but I may be wrong on that one.

Not always, the one last year was owned by Welsh Warbler Katherine Jenkins
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not always, the one last year was owned by Welsh Warbler Katherine Jenkins
    Ah yes, you're quite right.