Delete Cookies and Temporary Files

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean on the Piriform website or the CCleaner screen when you are running it? There are no links on the CCleaner screen, just tick boxes for the various options. Some of those tick boxes are ticked by default and for most of the time will suffice.

So for now just ignore the unticked ones and let it do it's thing.

If however you are talking about the website, go here

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

and click either of the two text links at the bottom of the left hand box (the one without the Download button!)
  • Mad HatterMad Hatter Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. When I click on Piriform and click download, do I need to run or save the file?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whichever you like. If you click Run it will download and install immediately in one action. If you click Save it will download to your hard drive (you tell it where) and you can then install it at a later time by running the file you downloaded.

Have you never downloaded a program from the interweb before? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much chrisjr, I have cleaned my computer.

If I have ever downloaded anything, I usually get someone to talk me through it. It is all about confidence and not clicking on the wrong thing.

Thanks again for your patience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The golden rules about downloading are...

If in any doubt at all about the website you are directed to to download a program, don't go there. Ask someone you trust to check it out or use google to see if there is any information about the site. If you are really desperate you could even ask on DS :D

Never ever trust links in e-mails unless you are 1000% certain the sender is legit. Very easy to disguise a link to some dodgy site full of who knows what nasties as something innocuous.

Read what it says on the various install screens for the software carefully. It is not uncommon for them to bundle all sorts of additional crap like toolbars for your web browser that you probably don't want.

A lot of it is just plain old fashioned common sense really.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ControlCenter3 is Brother software, to make it easy to run scans from what I assume is an all-in-one. I can't speak for Brother, but normally that would be in a software folder. The folders for holding scans, photos and OCR results would usually start off somewhere like 'application data', but you may be able to set them up somewhere else.

It might be helpful if you told us your machine type and model, and the operating system.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds to me that Virgin Media are offering you 5GB of cloud storage as backup? Hopefully free?

What I would do is copy 5GB worth of my most valuable files to a folder and sync that with the cloud storage, rather than frantically trying to delete stuff on the computer to make it fit into 5GB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice chrisjr.

I have a HP Notebook PC dv6760ea, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Internet Explorer 8.

The technical lady at VM who updated my security helped me to look at back up and storage and the 5MB was free.

I am concerned that if my computer broke, I would lose my photos/documents etc. I have found a leaflet in the paperwork that came with the computer "restore your system without discs - your new computer includes a new system recovery feature that does not require cds or dvds. If you need to repair your system, you can do it from the hard drive or from your own set of recovery discs. To burn your own set of recovery discs select Start>All Programs>Recovery Manager then slick Advanced Options>Recovery disc creation". To repair or restore from the hard drive restart the computer and press f11 when prompted.

Alternatively I can order recovery media instead of creating my own discs - how much would they cost?

Because my security has been updated, when I log on to DS, a warning comes up saying it is a dangerous site!
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mad Hatter wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice chrisjr.

I have a HP Notebook PC dv6760ea, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Internet Explorer 8.

The technical lady at VM who updated my security helped me to look at back up and storage and the 5MB was free.

I am concerned that if my computer broke, I would lose my photos/documents etc. I have found a leaflet in the paperwork that came with the computer "restore your system without discs - your new computer includes a new system recovery feature that does not require cds or dvds. If you need to repair your system, you can do it from the hard drive or from your own set of recovery discs. To burn your own set of recovery discs select Start>All Programs>Recovery Manager then slick Advanced Options>Recovery disc creation". To repair or restore from the hard drive restart the computer and press f11 when prompted.

Alternatively I can order recovery media instead of creating my own discs - how much would they cost?

Because my security has been updated, when I log on to DS, a warning comes up saying it is a dangerous site!

You really need a proper person to sort out your problems since you don't understand the why's and where fores but make sure that no matter what happens they backup everything you want aka photos/movies/bookmarks/emails etc before sorting out the machine as 'oops' is not a good word in an IT environment
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I havent got any problems, as such with my computer. It is fine, well and working - it was just when I was going to back up some files and only had 5MB worth with VM that I thought it best to delete cookies etc and I have downloaded Ccleaner and run it on my computer.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has your PC got a writeable DVD drive? If so, you could copy all your photos, videos, music, documents, emails, etc. to DVDs, at about 4.7GB each. Make two copies of each.

Once you've made two copies, you can delete everything you've copied. If you need anything back, just take it from the DVDs.

You really only need cloud storage for files which you might change.

I don't know Vista; Windows 7 will make a data DVD from Windows Explorer, Vista may require software (nero or roxio, possibly).
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member

Burn the recovery discs, (5 CDR's for £1 in the £1 shop) follow the instructions. These will enable you to recover your computer back to when you bought it.
    This will not recover anything that you have put on the computer since you bought it like photos or documents but is very handy if your hard drive dies so you can get set up again on a new hard drive. The method of restoring from a partition on your hard drive will have the same effect, you lose all photos, documents, etc. Of course restoring from the hard drive is of no use at all if the hard drive has died.

If you want to upload your 5GB to Virgin then create a new folder and fill it up with your most treasured stuff until the folder is 5GB.
    You can buy a USB flash drive or better still an external hard drive with more capacity and store everything you need.

What security did she put on, this one I suppose ?
    When she remotely controlled your computer, did she send you to a website to download something, if so do you remember which one ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My computer does have a writeable dvd drive and I did buy some blank dvd's to copy my photos, I did make a start but I have so many photographs, it will take ages to copy them but I shall copy them eventually.

Vista and software sounds complicated.

I agree, it is a good idea to burn the recovery discs. If my hard drive did die, would you advise me to have my laptop mended and have a new hard drive installed. The laptop cost me £349 in June 09 - do you think that was a reasonable price? So you would have a new hard drive than purchase a new computer, mind you, I love my laptop! (Perhaps it is wasted on me).

I do have an exernal hard drive, it came out of a computer that died. The man at the computer shop (who is very good) tested it for me and said it was in good working order. Do I have to buy some sort of box to put the hard drive in then a cable plugs into my computer?

The security is Virgin Media Security powered by TRENT MICRO, PC and Data, Anti-Malware, Firewall Booster, Website Checker. I am sorry, I cant remember if she sent me to a website to download something. I didnt really do anything at all - just watched my mouse whizzing around whilst we were in telephone contact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you really need to do to burn your photo files to DVD is to go to the folder they are contained in click on the one at the top of the list and press and hold the Shift key then click on the last one in the list. This highlights every file in the list then just right click and click on Send To and on the sub menu that pops out click on DVD Drive.

Then just sit back and let Windows get on with it. Assuming you have remembered to stick a blank disk in the drive before doing this of course :) You may have to answer a couple of simple prompts but basically it will just copy stuff over till it either runs out of files or disk space.

Far easier than copying over each photo one by one!
    Forum Member
    I do have an exernal hard drive, it came out of a computer that died. The man at the computer shop (who is very good) tested it for me and said it was in good working order. Do I have to buy some sort of box to put the hard drive in then a cable plugs into my computer?

Yes but first determine what type of drive it is, either SATA or IDE which you can tell by the connectors (IDE has lots of pins). Then, is it a 2.5 inch (laptop) or 3.5 inch (desktop) drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I began copying my photos, I didnt copy each individual photo, I copied each folder but thanks for your instructions chrisjr. When I follow your instructions to copy all my folders of photographs and the disc becomes full, do I replace the full disk with a new one and the computer carries on copying till that disc is full etc etc? (I will remember to put a blank disc in).

The hard drive is an Enhanced IDE (Western Digital - May 2004). I have a laptop, does that determine the 2.5inch so would it actually cost me £2.95 to get the hard drive up and running, dont like the look of the screwdriver and 2 screws - would you buy off ebay? I am sure at the computer shop the man showed me some sort of black box and I reckon it was more than £2.95. This hard drive I have has been wrapped up in a carrier bag for some years, will that have done it any harm - the green area on the bottom hasnt been protected).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can actually use the same selection trick to select a load of folders. Or press and hold Ctrl while clicking to select several individual folders/files from a list leaving the others unselected.

Not sure if you would get prompted to change disks if the total size of the selected files exceeds the disk capacity. Or whether it would just stop, it does just stop when copying between hard drives which sort of makes sense as you can't put a new hard drive in usually unlike a DVD.

If you don't fancy ebay and screwdrivers then something like this might do the job

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNWIRE-External-Enclosure-Case-Caddy/dp/B004HCFL8S/

A laptop drive is fairly likely to be 2.5in.

There are a number of things that can knacker a hard drive, dropping it on the floor is generally not recommended for example :) . If it has been kept dry and at a reasonable temperature (ie not colder than the Arctic or hotter than the Sahara it should be OK.

The green area is the control circuit board. There is a risk from static electricity, though I have yet to destroy a hard disk that way and can't think of anyone else who has. Much more likely to kill it is physical damage or liquid spills. Water is not so bad if it doesn't get into the mechanics of the drive and is mopped up quickly and the board allowed to dry properly. Tea coffee and fizzy drinks though can be real killers if left unattended for days on end. So provided it hasn't been left sitting in a pool of liquid for any length of time or been subject to any physical trauma it should be OK.

Only way to know for certain is to try it. And for £2.49 the case is hardly going to break the bank is it? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say, I like the look of the item on the link you have posted,(thanks for that) read the reviews and all good so I will buy one. Before I order it, I want to be sure about the 2.5, how do I know 100% please?

This hard drive I have was in a desktop computer that broke down. My friend's husband claimed the hard drive was no good but I said I would like it back then the man at the computer shop tested it and said it was in good working order. (The hard drive hasnt visited the Artic or Sahara nor has it had a drink of coffee, tea or fizzy drinks).

So once I receive Case Caddy I can transfer my photographs and documents onto that.

Is a copy of photos and documents onto a spare hard drive sufficient or do I also need to copy all these things onto discs too? If I only copied onto the hard drive then it want kaputo, then everything would be lost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say, I like the look of the item on the link you have posted,(thanks for that) read the reviews and all good so I will buy one. Before I order it, I want to be sure about the 2.5, how do I know 100% please?

This hard drive I have was in a desktop computer that broke down. My friend's husband claimed the hard drive was no good but I said I would like it back then the man at the computer shop tested it and said it was in good working order. (The hard drive hasnt visited the Artic or Sahara nor has it had a drink of coffee, tea or fizzy drinks).

So once I receive Case Caddy I can transfer my photographs and documents onto that.

Is a copy of photos and documents onto a spare hard drive sufficient or do I also need to copy all these things onto discs too? If I only copied onto the hard drive then it want kaputo, then everything would be lost.
    Ahhhh right.

If it is a desktop drive then it will be 3.5 inch. Actually all you have to do is measure the thing! if it is about 4in wide then it's a 3.5in drive if it's a bit under 3in then it's a 2.5in drive.

It is never a good idea to have only one back-up copy of anything. As you say if your source goes belly up and your only back-up also goes AWOL then you are stuffed.

You would be very unlucky to have source and two back-ups go belly up at the same time.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    This hard drive I have was in a desktop computer that broke down. My friend's husband claimed the hard drive was no good but I said I would like it back then the man at the computer shop tested it and said it was in good working order.

It's an 8 year old drive, with a question mark over its condition. I wouldn't rely on it as a main backup device. No harm in using it as an additional backup drive, though.

As you only have 14GB of data, a 16GB USB stick can be bought for under a tenner. Or 32GB for under £15. You can also use free online services like SkyDrive and Google Drive to additionally backup your most essential data.

You should also sort through your Documents and Pictures folders and find out what is taking up the space. You might find that all 14GB is relevant, or you might have 10GB wasted in duplicates and junk.
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I was just wondering whether you ever defragment your hard disk seeing as how you don't keep up with the housekeeping. Once you've cleared out all the rubbish, then I recommend you carry out a defrag, and after that use CCleaner at least once a week and set up a schedule to auto defrag the hard disk. It depends which operating system you have as to how often you do this.

Also it sound like you need to organise your folders so you know what's in them and set up new folders to keep documents separate from video clips, for example. You need to read up on what you should be doing, otherwise one day you'll end up in a real mess, and you'll only have yourself to blame.

Can you recomend good defrag tool
    Forum Member
    b.lever wrote: »
    Can you recomend good defrag tool

Auslogics, but as with other programs remember to untick any toolbars etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the tape measure ?

Just had a good look at sizes.

My Computer 3.89GB
    Desktop 768MB
    My Documents 1.92GB
    My Pictures 14.7GB
    My Videos 609KB
    My Music 603KB
    Windows Mail 1.71GB
    Windows Contacts 602KB
    Internet Explorer Favourites 152KB
    Chrome Bookmarks 973B

What do you suggest I look through first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just deleted approx 335 items from Pictures and it is still the same size as it was before, 14.7GB!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Download and install Treesize.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

this will scan your hard drive and show you in a graphical format where all your disk space is being taken up. You can drill down into folders and down to file level to see where the space hogs are hiding.

And unless you have some other reason for deleting these pictures there is absolutely no reason to do so just because your back-up space is limited to 5GB. Just move those pictures you don't want to back up to another folder which is outside the My Pictures folder - there is after all no law that says you have to put pictures in My Pictures you could put all your music in there and all your pictures in My Music. Windows could care less how you store stuff.