Panasonic TV on wifi causes other problems with other wireless devices

124»

Comments

• OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to advise that the OP has now been found hanging from a rope due to the severe off tangent direction this post has taken. Perhaps the Mods should close this thread and start up a 'powerline adaptors kill puppies every time you use one' thread?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Lying does not help. The very first post in this thread shows one that was removed.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1320940&highlight=plt

Ofcom have had several hundred complaints and do get them removed even if they don't actually physically remove them themselves.

No, Ofcom investigated it and the matter was resolved a bit different to 'ordering', As it was BT equipment and not private property Ofcom took the easy route and contacted BT. The guy reporting his neighbour was even more of a zealot than yourself and can hardly be relied on to be accurate.
    In any case, having one example is hardly the several hundred you tried to pass off earlier. Also, Ofcom have not even had several hundred complaints, let alone removals, stop exagerating....:rolleyes:
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lying does not help. The very first post in this thread shows one that was removed.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1320940&highlight=plt

Ofcom have had several hundred complaints and do get them removed even if they don't actually physically remove them themselves.

Any other threads that are not 3 years old.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I really know?, there's certainly a substantial magnetic field from them, and also interference sent down the mains (they have filtering to reduce it to acceptable levels).
    Thanks.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry you are not prepared to believe the facts that Ofcom have had several hundred complaints. Virtually all of them came from radio enthusiasts. Yes, the complaints have involved other people's homeplugs, right down to operators working out which houses surrounding them are causing the problem and submitting their addresses in the complaint. Yes the radio operators are making the complaints. This is because motorists, not pedestrians, report potholes. These complaints have included demonstrations showing the interference starting when a nearby homeplug device is turned on.

OK, We will agree to disagree on the numbers, however, your belief that Ofcom remove 'offending' equipment is erroneous. If an individual refuses to remove a legally obtained plt that complies with current regulations then Ofcom cannot and will not do anything about the issue even if it is thought to be the plt that is causing interference. Ofcom will investigate a complaint and try to resolve the issue, but, that is it.

Bottom line is that they are legal and a boon to the vast majority of users...............They ain't going away.;)
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaun13 wrote: »
    Good idea but that would mean I'd have to buy some sort of wireless device to bridge between the TV (using it's wired Ethernet port) and the existing wireless network. If I have to spend money I may as well buy a new router.

I imagine that using the TV on an Ethernet cable will fix things and I'm just hoping it is a wireless issue - although that view is based purely on the (potentially flawed) premise that when the TV has screwed up the wireless network the other laptops can currently be made to work by plugging them in with a cable.

As a temporary stop gap the Buffalo Airstation N300 is a brilliant little box - the standard firmware is rubbish but put DD-WRT on it and it's a whole new device and only about £20 too. You could either use it a
    1) A replacement router
    2) An access point with different SSID for your TV only
    3) To use as a wireless bridge

Currently I'm using it as my broadband router (Fibre Broadband so it's effectively a "cable router") and it's the first one that doesn't randomly stop working properly in some way and requires at least a monthly reboot - currently an uptime of 66 days and it's only that low because I turned the wrong plug socket off. The WiFi is that good I'll be removing the secondary access point from the lounge (alongside the connecting homeplugs) when my housemate moves out later this month (His Mac can't see the WiFi from the Buffalo when in his room dispite by phone still seeing it fine!).
    No not home plugs. They are slower than a wired connection

Not really true - that's dependant on your internal wiring, mine happens to run just as fast as Ethernet (they do claim to be synced at 197mpbs but are throttled thanks to the 10/100 ethernet sockets, so it's not too surprising that is the case), which unfortunately I can't run to the lounge as I am in shared, rented, property and can't go round drilling holes through the walls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Just to advise that the OP has now been found hanging from a rope due to the severe off tangent direction this post has taken. Perhaps the Mods should close this thread and start up a 'powerline adaptors kill puppies every time you use one' thread?

Yes, you're not far off, I was actually considering slitting my wrists :) Whilst the interference stuff was interesting (at first) I was considering creating a new thread and asking for comments on Panasonic Wifi issues only. However...
    kev wrote: »
    As a temporary stop gap the Buffalo Airstation N300 is a brilliant little box - the standard firmware is rubbish but put DD-WRT on it and it's a whole new device and only about £20 too. You could either use it <snip> ....

So, for £20 I can get a new highly reliable wireless router. I'll probably try that as a stop-gap.

Many thanks all. I'll leave some of you to continue discussing the interfence now... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    If I wasn't able to run a cat5 network cable then I'd get a couple of low cost powerline network adaptors for about £25 a pair if you shop around and that would probably be the end of the issue.

I got a couple for my SkyHD box and they work very well. I got the WD 4 port version so I can plug in blu ray,. SkyHD and other devices.

PLEASE don't use PowerLine adaptors... they cause radio frequency interference on short-wave and, the later models of PLA's also cause big problems to VHF and DAB radios, so they are a NO-NO!
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    OK, We will agree to disagree on the numbers, however, your belief that Ofcom remove 'offending' equipment is erroneous. If an individual refuses to remove a legally obtained plt that complies with current regulations then Ofcom cannot and will not do anything about the issue even if it is thought to be the plt that is causing interference. Ofcom will investigate a complaint and try to resolve the issue, but, that is it.

Bottom line is that they are legal and a boon to the vast majority of users...............They ain't going away.;)

Well they NEED to go away; they are the biggest pain in the ass imaginable!
    they cause radio frequency interference on short-wave and, the later models of PLA's also cause big problems to VHF and DAB radios, so they are a NO-NO!
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Making things up doesn't help your case. OFCOM haven't even had several hundred complaints, let alone removed several hundred. In fact they have removed none.
    the new(ish) EU regs have given manufacturers and retailers 3 years to comply.
    Has everything come to a stop because millions (Yes Millions) of people are using PLA's? No, of course not......

Millions of people do NOT use these devices; now you stop exaggerating!
    But as the number of PLT's grow, things WILL come to a stop! We are only seeing the tip of an enormous iceberg right now. VHF and DAB radios will eventually stop working, FACT!
    Forum Member
    Freesat is co-owned by the BBC - the white paper criticises them, but doesn't even say what you keep claiming.

I presume you've read this:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/plt/

Which contradicts everything you've claimed about Homeplugs?.

Or this from OFCOM:

That's because OFCOM are about as useful as a chocolate teapot and just can't be bothered to do their job!
    The fact is these devices cause massive interference to radio reception up to 500 metres around the installation; multiply that by every household installing a pair and you're in deep doo-da.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,502
    Forum Member
    Someone else posting more lies about Homeplugs?, must be Winstons only friend :p
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlhifi wrote: »
    That's because OFCOM are about as useful as a chocolate teapot and just can't be bothered to do their job!
    The fact is these devices cause massive interference to radio reception up to 500 metres around the installation; multiply that by every household installing a pair and you're in deep doo-da.

24 posts since 2005. :o

There are milions in use in the UK, we don't appear to be in deep doo-da.

Talk about lack of perspective.