Band T-Shirts when people aren't into the band

Comments

• Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I had a conversation with a girl once who was wearing an AC/DC t-shirt, asked her what she thought of their latest album and I just got a blank stare followed by, "Oh, I don't ACTUALLY listen to them!" OK love, jog on then.

I've been in the same situation a few times. Rather toe curling if i recall.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I keep seeing girls who look about 6 wearing BBK or Stay Dench snapbacks where I live. I highly doubt they actually listen to those artists tbh. Doesn't bother me though, it's great advertisement for them, better than the usual methods such as graffiti lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit it does annoy me, I only buy t-shirts by the bands I like now when I actually attend their shows.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    Did I say they have publicly stated that?! Nope I said they could be fans of them. I don't really understand a t-shirt with a band's name on it can cause so much offence
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tought the same thing when i saw willow smith wearing a metallica shirt few day ago

Im sure shes a huge fan :D
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I say they have publicly stated that?! Nope I said they could be fans of them. I don't really understand a t-shirt with a band's name on it can cause so much offence

Some people just love being offended, but I agree that it's making a big deal about nothing.

Sometimes, a shirt is just a shirt...
    And sometimes it is a sign of belonging to a sort of tribe that you proudly display. If it matters that much to them, maybe that's why they feel so strongly about it (not that I agree).

Those offended could always return the courtesy and go buy a The Wanted or 1D T shirt to confound other fans. ;)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't annoy me so much if they are not into them per say. More the fact they are doing it to appear cool and have no real apprecation for the band or their legacy.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This annoys me on two counts:
    I'm a huge Rolling Stones fan and their shirts are some of the most common to fall under this category,
    I'm also pretty young to be a Stones fan so people probably assume that I would only be wearing the t-shirt for the fashion etc.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no fan of The Rolling Stones but I have a t-shirt with the band's tongue logo on it. As the t-shirt was bought for me by someone else, who presumably just thought it looked "cool", does that get me off the hook??

At least my one just has an image on it. I do think it looks naff when the top has the band's name on it.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I'm no fan of The Rolling Stones but I have a t-shirt with the band's tongue logo on it. As the t-shirt was bought for me by someone else, who presumably just thought it looked "cool", does that get me off the hook??

At least my one just has an image on it. I do think it looks naff when the top has the band's name on it.

Nope, sorry!
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are these logo's not copyrighted or anything?
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    are these logo's not copyrighted or anything?

yeah. but the license them out to people to use. god knows why the do it with primark as that isn't conducive to projecting a quality image of the brand. they must be offered piles of money or something dodgy is going on
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. People can wear whatever they like, for whatever reason they like. People banging on about 'the legacy of the band' and interrogating total strangers wearing band t-shirts about B-sides are far more annoying than the people actually wearing the t-shirts!

My friend bought me a t-shirt with 'Umbrella Corp' on it from a movie convention. I've since found out it refers to the Resident Evil games/movies which I haven't played/seen. I should clearly stop wearing it! Oh, and my Shakespeare t-shirt should go in the bin because I haven't read all of his plays! :rolleyes:
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think people pay a lot of attention to what's actually written on the t-shirt as long as they like the colour or design etc. You see loads of people going around with t-shirts with the manufacturer's logo emblazoned all over it (Bench or Jack Wills or Hollister or whatever happens to be in vogue this week) and I don't think they give much thought to the logo other than some vague notion that it's "cool".

I do remember asking a girl a few years ago what her favourite Joy Division song was. "Who are Joy Division?" she asked me...while wearing a t-shirt with the distinctive "Unknown Pleasures" cover on the front. :rolleyes:
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. People can wear whatever they like, for whatever reason they like. People banging on about 'the legacy of the band' and interrogating total strangers wearing band t-shirts about B-sides are far more annoying than the people actually wearing the t-shirts!
    far more annoying? in what way?
    people can wear what they want, but there is a time and place for wearing certain things. you wouldn't go around dressing up as a bus driver and going about getting on buses if you weren't a bus driver, or dressing up in a mcdonalds outfit and going for lunch at KFC if you didn't work at mcdonalds, would you? if you did, then you only have yourself to blame for being ridiculed by others.

it's got nothing to do with interrogating people. it's more to do with you being able to spot people with similar tastes in the places you are in, and being able to spark up a like minded conversation and even build up a friendship. so if you spot someone in a bar with a t shirt on from one of your favourite bands, you might go over to start a conversation about the band, with a reasonable expectation that the person would like the band and be interested in the conversation, as they appear to be advertising their interest for the band across their chest. what is annoying is when you approach someone in good spirits to chat about something you are interested in and find out they don't have a clue. that deflates your spirits, which is surely far more annoying. it's a completely different thing to spotting someone wearing the same clothing brand as you. in fact typically a lot of people would dislike that, as people prefer to look different, and women in particular can get upset if they are in a bar and another girl is wearing the same outfit.

as a result of approaching and talking to people who were wearing band t shirts i've met people from all over the world and made friends for life. i've met people on international flights, places as strange as iceland (and not the one that does prawn rings for a pound), and as far away as america and canada
    My friend bought me a t-shirt with 'Umbrella Corp' on it from a movie convention. I've since found out it refers to the Resident Evil games/movies which I haven't played/seen. I should clearly stop wearing it! Oh, and my Shakespeare t-shirt should go in the bin because I haven't read all of his plays! :rolleyes:
    this is a completely different thing to band t shirts, just as i mentioned brands. but to some degree, you may seem a bit strange to people if you are wearing a shakespeare t shirt and don't know a single one of his plays. no-one is saying you have to have all an artists records to wear a t shirt, but that wearing a t shirt of a band when you don't have a clue at all about thier music makes them seem dumb. imagine if they found out the band has racist or homophobic lyrics or is in favour of something the wearer really disliked? you might look daft sitting in mcdonalds wearing a smiths t shirt
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dough Nut wrote: »
    I have a Rolling Stones tshirt and I haven't heard any of their music.

How is that even possible by the way? To not ever have heard a Stones track when they are some of the most famous and well known songs of all time? Do you live in a cave?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    far more annoying? in what way?
    people can wear what they want, but there is a time and place for wearing certain things. you wouldn't go around dressing up as a bus driver and going about getting on buses if you weren't a bus driver, or dressing up in a mcdonalds outfit and going for lunch at KFC if you didn't work at mcdonalds, would you? if you did, then you only have yourself to blame for being ridiculed by others.

it's got nothing to do with interrogating people. it's more to do with you being able to spot people with similar tastes in the places you are in, and being able to spark up a like minded conversation and even build up a friendship. so if you spot someone in a bar with a t shirt on from one of your favourite bands, you might go over to start a conversation about the band, with a reasonable expectation that the person would like the band and be interested in the conversation, as they appear to be advertising their interest for the band across their chest. what is annoying is when you approach someone in good spirits to chat about something you are interested in and find out they don't have a clue. that deflates your spirits, which is surely far more annoying. it's a completely different thing to spotting someone wearing the same clothing brand as you. in fact typically a lot of people would dislike that, as people prefer to look different, and women in particular can get upset if they are in a bar and another girl is wearing the same outfit.

as a result of approaching and talking to people who were wearing band t shirts i've met people from all over the world and made friends for life. i've met people on international flights, places as strange as iceland (and not the one that does prawn rings for a pound), and as far away as america and canada

this is a completely different thing to band t shirts, just as i mentioned brands. but to some degree, you may seem a bit strange to people if you are wearing a shakespeare t shirt and don't know a single one of his plays. no-one is saying you have to have all an artists records to wear a t shirt, but that wearing a t shirt of a band when you don't have a clue at all about thier music makes them seem dumb. imagine if they found out the band has racist or homophobic lyrics or is in favour of something the wearer really disliked? you might look daft sitting in mcdonalds wearing a smiths t shirt

if there was a clap hands symbol I would put it, you are far more eloquent then I was in my opening post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, maybe some feel the same, a bands t-shirt is the same as a football shirt, you are pledging your allegiance to something.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member

This seems unlikely.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

why :confused:

I have a GnR teeshirt my father in law bought me, but I actually like GnR, well, Appetite era. People like you make people like me look like one of those losers who dont know anything by the band.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    When I was at college (a fair few years ago now), the place was full of wannabe rockers wearing Slipknot etc hoodies, most of whom wore them to 'fit in' and had no knowledge of the sort of bands they supposedly loved enough to wear a Hoodie of. As I was, and still am, a contrary little madam, I used to enjoy wearing my Westlife tour hoodie in a similar fashion. My god the confounded looks I got! I don't think the wannabes quite 'got' I was taking the mickey.

But of course, those I knew who were genuine fans of those types of bands thought what I was doing was hilarious and totally got the joke.

In the end, if you wear a T-Shirt or whatever of a band you've no interest in, it's your own choice, but the joke is always going to be on you!
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    This seems unlikely.

depends on the poster's age. I'd be surprised if a teenage girl had heard anything by the Stones. Or a teenage boy for that matter unless they were fans of classic rock. I can imagine lots of people in their 20s in the same position. Where would they hear this music? On Radio 1? Music channels? On the soundtrack of the latest Hollywood blockbuster? No. Maybe on an advert but they'd not be told who the artist was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i get my band t shirts from amazon..guns n roses one though is faded abit :(..rainbow and ac/dc are still good :p. i dont see them round the shops here, as shops are crap here :D
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't really irk me to be fair, though I personally will only wear one if I like the band. Currently have my Blink 182 one on now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the worst example has to be Harry Styles and his Rush t-shirt of the Presto album cover. Harry Styles is a Rush fan? Riiiiiiiight....