Viewing Figures for the 50th

thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
Forum Member
Call me crazy but ive a feeling the 50th will get 15 million in total,viewing figures and bbc America at least 2 million

Comments

• Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm expecting 20 million+ views worldwide
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no doubt it'll be up there as one of the most watched shows of the year and once Iplayer etc is factored in I think it has a great chance of being top.
    That said we all know how viewing habits have changed so I think realistically the overnights will be 7-9 million. But as Moffat has said so many times and he said again in that web interview this week the real importance is in the final total. The Iplayer and on demand figures for this will go through the roof not to mention international viewers and then DVD and streaming on top of that.

Its hard to know what the effect of Tennant, Hurt and the fact its the fiftieth might be. Not to mention it being an autumn night. If the BBC play it right then maybe the overnights will be closer to nine million than seven. Who knows.

Either way its going to be massive.
  • thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Usually i wait for iplayer ,usually got things to do but this ,i cant wait and well hoping to see it on the silver screen with a few ciders in me lol

i think itll be more than 50 million worldwide

and more people will be watching it than waiting for iplayer
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorterr wrote: »
    Usually i wait for iplayer ,usually got things to do but this ,i cant wait and well hoping to see it on the silver screen with a few ciders in me lol

i think itll be more than 50 million worldwide

and more people will be watching it than waiting for iplayer

Thats a heck of a figure, I think it's a little too high though!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Thats a heck of a figure, I think it's a little too high though!

Both BBC Worldwide and Steven Moffat have said the show gets 77 Million viewers worldwide.

Exactly who is counted amongst this 77 M I don't know but if that's what (on average) a normal episode gets then the anniversary should get above that.

Here we go.
    Doctor Who: reach and audience

Source: BBC Worldwide Sales and Distribution Research Department, 2011

Reach

Over 77 million viewers in the UK, USA and Australia alone
    UK reach for all broadcasts on all channels in 2011 was 35.2 million (three-minute reach)
    BBC America's highest rating programme ever
    Audience

33 million claimed fans in the USA
    3.4 million claimed fans in Australia
    Doctor Who arena show reached over 120,000 over six weeks
    Over 2.4 million Facebook fans and growing!
    BBC One (UK): 8.9 million viewers
    BBC America (USA): 2.1 million viewers
    ABC1 (Australia): 940,000 viewers
    France 4 (France): 453,000 viewers
    Source

BBC Worldwide S&D Research Department / BARB / TechEdge / AdvantEdge / Nielsen Media Research USA / CAD / ITV / 2cv Doctor Who segmentation study 2011
  • thorterrthorterr Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Wow,never knew it was that much,,so the more viewers on this planet and others ,means more money to the bbc?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thorterr wrote: »
    Wow,never knew it was that much,,so the more viewers on this planet and others ,means more money to the bbc?

I do wonder where BBC Worldwide get some of the numbers from though.

33 Million Claimed Fans in the U.S for example.

Only a fraction of that watch the show on BBCA so are they counting people who download it, buy the DVD's, turn up at Comic Con wearing a 12 foot long multicoloured scarf?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Only a fraction of that watch the show on BBCA so are they counting people who download it, buy the DVD's, turn up at Comic Con wearing a 12 foot long multicoloured scarf?

Maybe BBCWW are very forward thinking and include all the pirated torrents, illegal YouTube upload likes, and the unauthorised numbers of viewings on site counters like DailyMotion? ;)
  • cricketmancricketman Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Will "live plus 7" be in operation by then? If so, it could be no1 in tv charts that week!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Hmm, most Americans who don't have BBC America and watch DW legaly seem to be using Netflix to watch it from my experience and according to Wikipedia:
    As of mid-March 2013, Netflix had 33 million subscribers.[9] That number increased to 36.3 million subscribers (29.2 million in U.S.) in April 2013.

Of course it is extremely unlikely that everyone who has Netflix watches Doctor Who, but maybe they do get the numbers of how many people do actually watch it on there, as well as he numbers from ITunes (where DW has been amongst the top downloaded shows in the US) and so on.