Options

Immigrants taking our council houses

Comments

• Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atcher predicted the trouble that w ensue if British citizens had to compete
    People bang on about Britain not having enough social housing, which is a sentiment I agree with. But if it wasn't for immigration, there would be far more council houses to go around.

According to the Telegraph, half a million immigrants were given social housing in the last decade, and in total 1.2 million immigrants live in council accommodation.

Link here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10205963/Half-a-million-immigrants-given-social-housing-in-the-last-decade.html

Clearly if the Labour government hadn't allowed so many immigrants to settle here, there would be far more social housing to go around.

However, people always seem to blame the shortage on Thatcher's right to buy policy whilst ignoring the stats about immigration.

Clearly Labour's open door policy is mostly responsible for the housing crisis and shortage of homes, as if they hadn't allowed so many migrants into Britain, we would have hundreds of thousands more council homes.

Mrs Thatcher predicted the trouble that would ensue if British citizens ever had to compete with immigrants for housing. She considered that prospect outrageous - of course Labour takes a different view.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's subsidised in that you are not experiencing the market rate of private renting or equivalent mortgage payments, so the council is getting less revenue than it could be getting
    Rent increases are limited to RPI +£1 a week, so may catch up (or not). Not sure subsidy is the right word, that would only apply if the medium/long term plan failed to show a net surplus.
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's only minorities that have large families now is it?

No, but Asian and black people tend to have larger families than white people.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    So it's only minorities that have large families now is it?

>>>>> Perhaps not only - more about 'mostly' -
    such as those of a certain 'culture' which must not be named - otherwise DS are likely to invoke gagging and banning as already indicated.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    >>>>> Perhaps not only - more about 'mostly' -
    such as those of a certain 'culture' which must not be named - otherwise DS are likely to invoke gagging and banning as already indicated.

If you're referring to Muslims, then I'll just point out Catholics.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    How dare these immigrants take our houses and our jobs. ;) :mad:

And they ship them all to Poland I heard... brick by brick.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member

Ooh are we playing a game of ethnic top trumps now? I'll go with Ethiopians.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Breeder Top Trumps

Sudanese Special Powers - 8
    Japanese Special Powers - 3
  • Options
    Forum Member

>>>>>>

And I will point to a certain 'culture' already heavily installed in the Uk with the unenvious distinction of having the highest birth rates- and the UK open to accepting more when a certain country of the same 'culture' with a pop. of around 75-million on line to be accepted into the corrupt EU , and the UKs open door 'borders' !
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a couple of things.

It's not true that immigrants only get 'hard to let' properties. I know several who are in established estates and new build estates.

Secondly, I am rather tired of the idea that council and HA tenants are somehow 'being subsidised'.

If you have rented a house for many years you have paid for that house over and over again, and the money you pay every week is profit for the Council and used to repair, convert and build more properties. I pay 120 a WEEK for a two bed HA flat. I'm too old to be able to pay off a mortgage.

Most people who have public housing are as hardworking as anyone.

And furthermore, council and HA tenants do NOT have everything repaired for free. You have to PAY for damage caused by the people who live in it. Other than normal wear and tear.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Just now in our area there has been a stream of young lads (17 years old) being given their own council flats. The mother of one family I know personally told the Council she was kicking her 3 kids out. These 3 youngsters 17,18 and 19 all have their own council flats. It seems to be the norm here for families to say they have had enough of their child, they are chucking them out and within a few short weeks these kids are being allocated houses. When I say flats I mean as in a 4 in a block, not a tower.

Hmmm. In that case, it's only fair that if she has a council house she is made to hand the keys back in exchange for a 1 bedroom flat. She won't need all those bedrooms anymore.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Labour has acknowledged their immigration policy was a mistake. However, will the PC brigade in the Labour Party that believes in multiculturalism and immigration allow Ed to clamp down on immigration.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Just a couple of things.

It's not true that immigrants only get 'hard to let' properties. I know several who are in established estates and new build estates.

Secondly, I am rather tired of the idea that council and HA tenants are somehow 'being subsidised'.

If you have rented a house for many years you have paid for that house over and over again, and the money you pay every week is profit for the Council and used to repair, convert and build more properties. I pay 120 a WEEK for a two bed HA flat. I'm too old to be able to pay off a mortgage.

Most people who have public housing are as hardworking as anyone.

And furthermore, council and HA tenants do NOT have everything repaired for free. You have to PAY for damage caused by the people who live in it. Other than normal wear and tear.

Great post,

Yes for instance if a window gets broken, we don't get it repaired for free, the only repairs you get for 'free' are essential repairs to boilers, electrics, water. If say our gate fell off they wouldn't come out and repair it. I pay full rent no one subsidises me. Rents are lower as most of the mortgages have been paid off years ago and a council don't rent for profit. My house was built in 1945, so I imagine it's been well paid off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Thank you, great post.

I am a council tenant.. I pay £110 a week for my home... this house cost about £700 to build in the 50's - I am sick of being labelled as being subsidised - and no I cannot buy it for personal and medical reasons.

Do you actually know if you're paying cheaper rent than if you were to go private for a similar property? My guess is you are, but you seem adamant that you're not. .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously immigrants get all the council houses because when not being killed by a civil war, school children in Syria and Somalia spend 35 % of their time studying a course called 'The care and maintenance of a British council house'. The other 65% is spent on the subject ' Navigating the benefits system in post austerity Britain and how to come out laughing after taking advantage of hidden loop holes'. Advanced student also study 'Living in a Knightsbridge mansion with no job and 18 children. How to feed all of them on a caviar diet'

There case solved.
    No need to read the Daily Mail any longer;)

:D
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    rozafa wrote: »
    Obviously immigrants get all the council houses because when not being killed by a civil war, school children in Syria and Somalia spend 35 % of their time studying a course called 'The care and maintenance of a British council house'. The other 65% is spent on the subject ' Navigating the benefits system in post austerity Britain and how to come out laughing after taking advantage of hidden loop holes'. Advantaged student also study 'Living in a Knightsbridge mansion with no job and 18 children. How to feed all of them on a caviar diet'

There case solved.
    No need to read the Daily Mail any longer;)

:D

Only because classes in "You, Gullibility and The Daily Mail Scare Story" are available.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    I do believe that immigrants are offered 'hard to let' properties, the ones that other people don't want to live in.

That's not true! In our area we have scores of Polish immigrants in some of the nicest council house areas with the best and most up to date council properties.

There are three council house areas in our town and they are mostly now populated by Polish immigrants and all these houses were fully renovated with new plumbing, heating, decoration and roughcasting and their kids are taken to schools in taxis paid for by our taxes.

I have never been a Daily Mail reader and have no wish to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of going on about immigrants taking houses and ethnic minorities breeding kids like rabbits (all the ones I know have normal sized families), wouldn't it be a good idea to build more houses which would create jobs as well as increase the housing stock?
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    Instead of going on about immigrants taking houses and ethnic minorities breeding kids like rabbits (all the ones I know have normal sized families), wouldn't it be a good idea to build more houses which would create jobs as well as increase the housing stock?

Yes but that would promote wellbeing and harmony and we can't have that, we would have nothing to moan about and no one to blame
  • Options
    jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There would still never be enough housing. They are a load waiting in Calais wanting to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would still never be housing. They are a load waiting in Calais wanting to come.

No Jackie, you see, if we build houses then there would be houses for people to live in. It's quite simple when you think about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Jackie, you see, if we build houses then there would be houses for people to live in. It's quite simple when you think about it.

Errrrr.... no. The flow of people wanting to come in would then increase thus making yet even more demands for more housing.

Simple when you think about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

>>>>>>>

Of course we need more houses but all the while our Govt insists we remain shackled to the corrupt EU then
    immigrants will continue to be allowed to pour through our open borders (and will need to be housed) in far greater numbers than any house build programme could keep pace with !
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    i will always have to live in social housing.

there's no way on earth I will ever earn a enough money to buy my own house.

as the only job i can get is national minimum wage ones. so with that type of wage i will never buy a house
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    if we are not careful and put a cap on immigration we could have a population nightmare

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsbuJfMpr0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKdsbuJfMpr0