Options

Sky box initialising!!

Big StevieBig Stevie Posts: 55
Forum Member
Im struggling to play back my planner recordings as my Sky HD box is constantly displaying the message...

'Your box is still initialising, please return in a short time to use this feature'.

Ive had my Sky HD box unplugged for the last month or so whilst we've been decorating. Today I moved my box to another room and connected it to a tv simply to play some of the recorder plannings. The box isn't connected to the Sky dish in this room.

Should I be able to play my recordings in this way?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Big Stevie wrote: »
    Im struggling to play back my planner recordings as my Sky HD box is constantly displaying the message...

'Your box is still initialising, please return in a short time to use this feature'.

Ive had my Sky HD box unplugged for the last month or so whilst we've been decorating. Today I moved my box to another room and connected it to a tv simply to play some of the recorder plannings. The box isn't connected to the Sky dish in this room.

Should I be able to play my recordings in this way?

No, it MUST be receiving a signal from a working dish in order to be usable at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    You cannot play back recordings without a satellite signal. I guess that Sky do this so that they can check you r subscription is valid to play what you have recorded.
  • Options
    dcopparddcoppard Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong but I think you need to be connected to the sky dish to be able to play back your recordings. No doubt others will correct me if I'm incorrect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Im also getting a message stating that 'Your recordings in the planner... may still be available', obviously not.

Would Sky allow me to temporarily suspend my contract whilst I'm doing building work etc. I doubt Il be able to start reusing my box for another month or two.

Failing that, I guess I could clamber up a set of ladders and reroute the cables from my dish and run them into the spare room where my tv is temporarily located?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Im also getting a message stating that 'Your recordings in the planner... may still be available', obviously not.

they are available, just not playable
    Would Sky allow me to temporarily suspend my contract whilst I'm doing building work etc. I doubt Il be able to start reusing my box for another month or two.

i wouldn't have thought so, but you could try
    Failing that, I guess I could clamber up a set of ladders and reroute the cables from my dish and run them into the spare room where my tv is temporarily located?

you could do that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you.

Im going to start a new thread for advice on re-routing my cables.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's because with the HD boxes it is possible to still play recording for a short period of time after loosing signal. This is so you can still watch recording from your planner If there's a small storm and you loose signal.

Outside of this the Sky box requires a satallite connection to verify your subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone. :)