Fear Her

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
Forum Member
✭✭
Reading through yesterday's thread, I saw some people preferred Love And Monsters over this episode but I don't agree with that. Though it isn't that much better it is a slight improvement, it does actually have The Doctor and Rose in it most of the time and I don't mind sitting down and giving it a rewatch as I did yesterday.

The main problem with this episode for me is young Chloe Webber. There was nothing wrong with the idea of using drawings by making things come to life or making people vanish but the way Chloe was depicted should have been done differently. Her rasping voice as she's possessed is really irritating and her whole character was somewhat annoying as well. The other big gripe is the interpretation of her father living in the cupboard. Though mainly unseen, the voice used to portray his presence was almost as bad as Richard Briers in Paradise Towers, with a very pantomime feel to it.

Plus if the creature inside her really wanted to eliminate all threats, it's a wonder she didn't draw the Doctor sooner and later when she does, why she doesn't get rid of Rose as well.

The other thing that is a mystery is how The Doctor ended up near the Olympic Stadium when everyone was returned to where they left. I know some people thought The Doctor lighting the flame was a bit far-fetched but I'd rather see him doing stuff like this and having fun than the dark blubberfest we had later on.

I did find the whole pencil scribble coming to life rather amusing and I did like the council worker, thought he was quite funny. Chloe's Mum was well portrayed by the actress concerned but there is very little else of note to say about the episode.

However, the one thing watching it in 2012 after the Olympics has come and gone is how different the reality is compared to the predictions of the time. The Olympic Stadium is so iconic now that this depiction of it is way out as is the white Olympic Torches, though the two empty chairs inside the stadium do look eerily similar to that actually used. Plus the Cauldron was way out too! The one thing they did get right off course is the use of Huw Edwards in commentating on the Opening Ceremony which he actually did. No-one off course would expect the designers to get it spot on but in view of what we've seen this year it seems weird watching a different version of it! :D

Going back to the story, it can only really be seen as a lightweight filler to get to the finale where all the big stuff happens. The last scene seemed out of sync with the rest of the story as it tries to set up the finale itself. Rose thinks herself and The Doctor are forever but it's clear that isn't going to be the case, highlighted by the trailer at the end of the episode.

Haven't really got too much else to say about this one. A with Love and Monsters it spoilt what was an otherwise superb Series. :rolleyes:

Comments

• king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Love and Monstersmore than this one, intact I don't see why they brought back Mathew Graham at all.There are some few redeeming features, but nothing too good
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of those very rare stories (and the first of the post-2005 revival, unfortunately there would be a few others) which you can sum up in one word without any big review or anything.

Shit.

Utterly utterly shit.

It has few redeeming features. You can see this is another story gone to waste, another story that had great potential (creepy kid with scary drawings coming to life, this could/should have been so good), but time and time again it fails in reaching that potential. The worst moment is the ending scene, just utterly cringeworthy (and unrealistic to)...
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I quite like it, personally. I think it works well as a small, quiet story before the pyrotechnics of Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, though it's a bit of a shame that the pictures aren't better realised. I think the Doctor and Rose are very sweet together here (his jealous moment with the cat is priceless) and the scribble monster is great. I like Kel, particularly his dismay when Rose takes a pickaxe to his beloved Council tarmac. :D And it was quite remarkable that this 2006 episode predicted the grey, miserable weather we had in London during the 2012 Olympics!
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    The actual essence of the story is very good, child overcoming her fear of an abusive father, but it's execution, location choice, direction and tone style and the whole Olympic ending wasn't at all good.

Given the basics of the story it could have been a really creepy episode if set in a old spooky house.

Enjoyed The Doctor using his fingers to eat from a jar but that's about it.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were some good things about this story, as mentioned by earlier posters - the Doctor's jealousy at the cat; the Doctor eating from a jar with his fingers - there may be a couple of others, but I've forgotten them....oh, yes, the beginning, when the Tardis lands the wrong way round!

Seriously, it wasn't a bad idea, but, really....the bad dad in a cupboard being overcome by singing? People disappearing from the Olympic Stadium? Poor Huw Edwards having to say all that drivel about hope and love? Rose and her "feel the love" line? All awful.

It was as bad as some of the love-wins-the-day conclusions in series 5.

Bad, but not as bad as L&M. The main saving grace being that the wonderful Tenth Doctor was more in evidence. :)

One moment I did like was when the Doctor told Rose that he had been a dad once, and her face at this revelation. And I thought all the actors, including the little girl, were very good.

Re Huw Edwards, I wonder if he was tempted to say some of his lines from this during the actual Olympic ceremony? That would have been funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I don't mind this episode, for all it's flaws. There's a sadness in seeing how far the basic production values have come from earlier in the series, but that has always been the case in Dr Who - they never have enough money or time, and the development of some scripts does suffer so that others can get made.

It doesn't look like a Doctor Who episode - there's something jarring about the Doctor and Rose in this little modern suburban street - and there are elements that (in hindsight) feel closer to a CBBC series.

That having been said - the sense of disruption to the life of the child is genuinely disturbing - although, of course, then wasted on the actual reveal. There's something about Rose which I just find irritating (I'm afraid I can't remember what because I haven't seen it in a long time) and a genuine feeling that the whole production team are just marking time before the big series finalé.

I did enjoy the outrageous Torch lighting scene - a simple gag which leaves us laughing and almost make you forgive the previous 45 mins. I bet I wasn't the only one looking out for a last minute David Tennant appearance this summer:)
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    You will get nothing but bile from me for this shocker. Hate it Hate it HATE it :mad:. It is humourless, drab and cringeworthy :(, even the last tagged on scene supposedly to lead you into the series finale coming up is awkwardly placed and written. I'll leave it there, Love & Monsters is far superior to this, just as a comparison of these two stories. It at least has a reflection on how the Doctor and the Alien events fit into the scheme of things, a bit like Turn Left. Fear Her is a script that should have been dropped.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Not good really was it? The cat did well jumping into that box and vanishing, and that old bird from EastEnders made a nice cameo appearance. The Doctor and Rose did a good 50's - style ride on that scooter. The scary dad in the wardrobe was a bit spooky, I must admit.
    Another 'Filler' methinks! OK to watch on a Sunday afternoon I suppose.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not good really was it? The cat did well jumping into that box and vanishing, and that old bird from EastEnders made a nice cameo appearance. The Doctor and Rose did a good 50's - style ride on that scooter. The scary dad in the wardrobe was a bit spooky, I must admit.
    Another 'Filler' methinks! OK to watch on a Sunday afternoon I suppose.

That was The Idiot's Lantern I think. :D

Anyway, Love and Monsters and Fear Her are the only episodes of New Who I can truly say I didn't like, but I still think out of the two, Fear Her was the better episode.
    It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't particularly good either. It was just a bit dull.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood why many posters hate this one so much. I'll grant it's not a particularly strong story, and the bit with the Olympic torch was annoying (though not as annoying as the real Olympics). I'll also grant that much of the story is silly - the squiggle and the drawings. The young actress playing Chloe is not as good as some of the child actors we've seen in other stories, though she's not nearly as bad as some make out.

All the same, I find the story entertaining - though, as I say, silly - and, for what it is, well enough executed. And I thought the dad in the cupboard was very well done (as I said in the thread on Idiot's Lantern, though, you can't help feeling someone has father issues this series)
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, it wasn't a bad idea, but, really....the bad dad in a cupboard being overcome by singing? People disappearing from the Olympic Stadium? Poor Huw Edwards having to say all that drivel about hope and love? Rose and her "feel the love" line? All awful..
    it's execution, location choice, direction and tone style and the whole Olympic ending wasn't at all good..

It doesn't look like a Doctor Who episode - there's something jarring about the Doctor and Rose in this little modern suburban street - QUOTE]

The quotes above kind of sum up how i feel. Watched it again today. It feels despite the 2012 Olympic setting which is the grandest kind of event,quite wrong in tone.The olympics was a joyful event for most people and seemed just tagged on because we knew we had them at that point..

If three kids went missing in the same street wouldnt the police be crawling over the whole area for weeks but it feels as if the street is in a time warp. The parents have put up posters and just carry on.like zombied characters ( except for the old lady.Is she related to Jane Marple:D)

I dont dislike the idea of a little girl confronting her feelings about an abusive father but to be honest i thought the young actress wasnt that good as the alien/Chloe and i couldnt get into the story.

On reflection Fear Her does have more Rose and the Doctor in it than Love and Monsters so I should like it more but I think Love and Monsters is more entertaining in a kooky kind of way despite the terrible Ab monster & being Doctor-light.

Generally I realy enjoyed Series 2 as i love Rose and the 10th Doctor together. Some of the scripts are really fantastic but some like Fear Her just needed a bit more care and thoughtfulness.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this ep gets a load of hate but it was one of the few Tennant episodes I enjoyed :o, well maybe with the exception of the end bit when the Doctor picks up the torch and continues running to the stadium and lights the cauldron, I thought that was a bit "meh".

Love And Monsters however, possibly the worst episode of Who ever, even worse than Lets Kill Hitler.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I know this ep gets a load of hate but it was one of the few Tennant episodes I enjoyed :o, well maybe with the exception of the end bit when the Doctor picks up the torch and continues running to the stadium and lights the cauldron, I thought that was a bit "meh".

Love And Monsters however, possibly the worst episode of Who ever, even worse than Lets Kill Hitler.

The variance of opinions on this forum staggers me sometimes!:D

I'm not a huge fan of the Moffat Era but Let's Kill Hitler is one of his best episodes imo. In my mind, L&M and that are worlds apart in terms of quality.

:)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The replacement for Stephen Fry's script, written with a particular focus on appealing to the youngest of Doctor Who's audience prior to the finale.

It shows. Compared to Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes, and one of my favourite episodes of Spooks, this really is an interesting addition to Matthew Graham's works...

...hell, even compared to The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People. But it has some elements of Moffat's Who, come to think of it - in the way of the ordinary being terrifying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to say take out that stupidness with the olympic flame and Fear Her is actually not a bad episode to be able to take some one away by just drawing them is actualy quite a frightening idea.