Huawei Ascend G300 - General Information

Comments

• fitz122fitz122 Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know if we will get Sky go & TV catchup on the G300. This is the only disappointing thing about this phone.
  • GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    dreamypuma wrote: »
    So far really impressed with the G300. For the money it's a steal.

I'd like to get rid of all the Vodafone bloatware and possibly have a vanilla UK ICS device unlocked to use on Ovivo Mobile. Does this mean I need to root the device? If so are there any really easy to follow guides?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353386-how-to-root-your-huawei-ascend-g300-for-windows-mac-and-linux/

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355583-guide-how-to-install-and-root-ics-403-on-the-g300/
  • boysteveboysteve Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    fitz122 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if we will get Sky go & TV catchup on the G300. This is the only disappointing thing about this phone.

Not sure about sky go but tvcatchup beta works well and can be downloaded here
    http://tvcatchup.com/android.html
  • lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just notice my first problem with the phone. There was a large blob mark in the middle of the screen that only went away if I pressed the screen hard enough. It's happen twice so far
    Forum Member
    There have been reports of this on other forums it appears like a bubble but pressing on screen makes it go away,hope its not a future problem.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brought one of these a couple of week ago and all is fine, no mic or Wifi connection problems.

However can any owner’s tell me if they have the “Network Mode” menu (found by Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Network Mode) on their G300 as mine seems to have this missing.

I live in an area where 3G is no bars to 3 bars and sometimes when downloading large files the phone switches to 2G so use the Network Mode menu to force the phone to stay on 3G however like I said this menu does not appear to be on my phone.

I get round this by using a short engineering code but I am curious to why the network mode menu is missing.:confused:
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Brought one of these a couple of week ago and all is fine, no mic or Wifi connection problems.

However can any owner’s tell me if they have the “Network Mode” menu (found by Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Network Mode) on their G300 as mine seems to have this missing.

I live in an area where 3G is no bars to 3 bars and sometimes when downloading large files the phone switches to 2G so use the Network Mode menu to force the phone to stay on 3G however like I said this menu does not appear to be on my phone.

I get round this by using a short engineering code but I am curious to why the network mode menu is missing.:confused:

Not on my phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not got Google Now up and running on my rooted G300 with stock ICS.

Runs sweet, with no issues. This phones a bargain.
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    fitz122 wrote: »
    Hi i was thinking of getting a G300,would you recommend it?
    thanks.

Deffo

Bought mine couple weeks back and luvvin it

4" screen, gorrila glass, 1ghz proccessor, 5mp camera with led flash

All for $100 - $30 -6% cashback nett $67

Sold my contract phone for $85

What's not to like?

At $100 its a no brainer

At $67 its bargain of this year

Now if I could just find UK pound sign :o)
    Forum Member
    zool8846 wrote: »
    What will this ICS update do for the phone, the phone seems ok with its current 2.3.6 Gingerbread operating system?

Not a lot

With ICS you will be able to login to Google (your phone) with your non-google (@live.co.uk) account

With Ginger bread you will be able to sync @hotmail (@live) email, contacts and calendar (cant with ICS, its documented MS issue)

syncing my @live.co.uk account is deal breaker so I actually dont want ICS upgrade until they sort this out
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    the battery life could be better, the camera etc.

battery life on mine is excellent unless i activate GPS

I charge mine ever night at side of my bed and use it to wake me up too

no problemo
    Forum Member
    Munstermac wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that despite all the published specs stating otherwise, the FM radio on the G300 isn't RDS capable?

Anyone use RDS/FM (relies on fm radio reception) when we all got 'Tune-In' digital radio app??
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    Now if I could just find UK pound sign :o)

Smiley face bottom right on message screen then globe symbol (3rd from left) 2nd column 2nd row :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not on my phone.

It’s not just me then, thanks for that.

Anyone who has the problem of the phone switching from 3G to 2G in weak 3G but strong 2G coverage area’s can down load an app in the Play Store by searching for 4636. Using this short cut app enables you to select “WCDMA only” via “Phone Information” menu there in, but don’t forget to switch it back to “WCDMA preferred” or you will lose all data and phone connections if your travelling about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking to get my first smartphone and am interested in this.
    I am not a great mobile user tbh,mainly for emergencies so use PAYG with Asda.

Asda piggybacks the vodaphone network so will this phone work straight out of the box with my Asda sim?

I'm a bit mobile phobic so do not want to have to mess around too much!:o
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably will work with an Asda SIM. My T-Mobile phone worked with Virgin Mobile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Podling wrote: »

Asda piggybacks the vodaphone network so will this phone work straight out of the box with my Asda sim?

It would probably work on ASDA mobile straight out of the box but you could be lucky like me as I brought my G300 in a local Tesco and it was already un-locked but if it wasn’t, it’s only a fiver to make it so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    It probably will work with an Asda SIM. My T-Mobile phone worked with Virgin Mobile.
    It would probably work on ASDA mobile straight out of the box but you could be lucky like me as I brought my G300 in a local Tesco and it was already un-locked but if it wasn’t, it’s only a fiver to make it so.
    Many thanks xx:)
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    It’s not just me then, thanks for that.

Anyone who has the problem of the phone switching from 3G to 2G in weak 3G but strong 2G coverage area’s can down load an app in the Play Store by searching for 4636. Using this short cut app enables you to select “WCDMA only” via “Phone Information” menu there in, but don’t forget to switch it back to “WCDMA preferred” or you will lose all data and phone connections if your travelling about.

I tend to find my phone will hop about a bit between 2G and 3G but if I start to use data I tend to find it will stick with 3G if there is a signal. I find that if the phone doesn't even show any 3G bars it still seems to run with 3G and not switch to GPRS.

I've never been that convinces of the accuracy of mobile phone strength bars, anyone know how accurate they really are?

I must admit though I've never really monitored it closely unless if I'm tethered and the tablet or PC is a bit slow.

Cheers for that tip though.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just notice my first problem with the phone. There was a large blob mark in the middle of the screen that only went away if I pressed the screen hard enough. It's happen twice so far

I seen this problem as well, eventually it goes by itself, seems to happen more so when it been in my trousers pocket for a while.

Another problem I have found is that it resets itself now and again, done it twice now that I have seen, once this morning.

I picked it up to see what the time was and it just reset, the time before that it was on my coffee table.

Still at least it got a 12 month warranty,
    Forum Member
    Podling wrote: »

There is no universal answer to this so bit surprised you got some

Whether its locked to a particular network is not an attribute of this (or any phone)

It depend s where /who you buy it from

If you buy it from here for £67 it is already on vodafone

Huawei G300 Ascend Smartphone - £102.95 to £72.95 with credit acct, down to possible £67.01 (incl cashback) Delivered @ isme.com
    Forum Member
    boysteve wrote: »
    Smiley face bottom right on message screen then globe symbol (3rd from left) 2nd column 2nd row :)

I'm using the android keyboard because i cant see the characters on the touch pal (default keyboard) and the route is tooooooo long so keep using the $ sign until they make a UK keyboard :o)

cheers anyhoooo
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to find my phone will hop about a bit between 2G and 3G but if I start to use data I tend to find it will stick with 3G if there is a signal. I find that if the phone doesn't even show any 3G bars it still seems to run with 3G and not switch to GPRS.

I've never been that convinces of the accuracy of mobile phone strength bars, anyone know how accurate they really are?

I must admit though I've never really monitored it closely unless if I'm tethered and the tablet or PC is a bit slow.

Cheers for that tip though.

In reality they don't mean much at all, its more a case of you get a signal or you don't, there is no agreed industry standard IIRC.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    In reality they don't mean much at all, its more a case of you get a signal or you don't, there is no agreed industry standard IIRC.

The bars mean nothing, but on most android phones at least there is a signal status info in settings and phone status. i been told that is pretty accurate. Mine at the moment is -91dBm and something called ASU is 11.
    I knew I should have gone for radio ham when I was younger. I was going to but could not be bothered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well,went to tesco today and got one..........it works with my Asda sim no problems and it only cost £80 so quite pleased.

Only need to work out how to use the damn thing now lol