Why are you buying an Xbox One?

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Look at all the PS4 exclusives. Social is big on PS4. The games you gave aren't even all xbox exclusive.

No I know they're not which puts MS at an even bigger advantage. Social might be big on PS4 but they don't have anything like the same amount of dedicated servers. PSN will continue to be an inferior counterpart to XBL and that may very well be a determining factor when it comes to multiplatform games next-gen.

What PS4 exclusives did you want me to look at? Drive Club is pushing social features, but not in a good way imo, it feels forced, having to take your picture before you race... I mean wow... like a mugshot? Way to make players feel immediately uncomfortable.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    No I know they're not which puts MS at an even bigger advantage. Social might be big on PS4 but they don't have anything like the same amount of dedicated servers. PSN will continue to be an inferior counterpart to XBL and that may very well be a determining factor when it comes to multiplatform games next-gen.

What PS4 exclusives did you want me to look at? Drive Club is pushing social features, but not in a good way imo, it feels forced, having to take your picture before you race... I mean wow... like a mugshot? Way to make players feel immediately uncomfortable.

bit in bold was just for the demo.

Also i don't think Microsoft have confirmed all 300,000 will be dedicated servers right? For all we know they could be virtual servers.

But tbh i can see that Xbox Live is improving a lot, but PSN isn't exactly where it was back in 2006 either. It's very much caught up with Xbox and i'd say even matches and betters it in some areas.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    but PSN isn't exactly where it was back in 2006 either. It's very much caught up with Xbox and i'd say even matches and betters it in some areas.
    I'd agree with that.

Back when I 1st got my PS3 in early 2008 I had come from a 360 with an Xbox Live sub & said several times back then that I felt Live was better than PSN based on my experience of both.

I don't have a gold sub anymore but did take advantage of there free weekends recently I its the same top quality service it always was, However PSN has improved massively the past few years.

I also think the PS+ model is better value for money than XBL, Especially if like me you don't play online enough to make paying for XBLG a worthwhile investment.
    Yes I know PS4 online will require a fee via PS+ but I'd be paying for PS+ for the games on demand & other deals/offers we get rather than just for online, The online for me woudl just be an added, rarely used bonus.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you explain why the direction MS is going in will benefit the consumer in the long run?
    The non-gaming elements have potential. Especially if they can get a good and consistent experience across all devices: desktop PCs, laptops, tablets, phones and now consoles. And if the console is a full home entertainment hub, and if they do the home automation stuff.
    At the moment i can see a few positives but at the same time i can see loads more negatives.
    [...]
    What MS have given us is not a choice, it's a set of forced polices and restrictions.
    They've made some different trade-offs. Personally I don't like what they've done, partly because I've been bitten by DRM before, but it's good to see diversity of approaches.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Hands on review from Tech Radar
    (apologies if already posted)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/games-consoles/xbox-one-review-1153153/review

Hmmmm.

I am liking the the pass-through HDMI link, ideal for my Sat box, and on the whole I'm starting to prefer what the XBO can do over the PS4.

For me XBO has the better launch line up, as did the 360.
    Over Drive Club (ps4) and Forza 5 I personally think Forza is the better.

Just haven't fully made my mind up about the DRM issues yet, that could be the clincher.

One thing I am not sure about is how the Kinect sensor should be placed as my set up is TV on a standard unit and my couch about 3-4 foot away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    I am getting one as I have loved the 360, and xbox live. I don't rent games, or buy used and I have a good internet connection so I don't see any issues with this. I will miss lending games to friends, but hoping that the family system might replace this.

I am really looking forward to the new kinect system, and seeing it integrated into games sensibly for basic tracking and voice control. I think the DRM is great as I will never need to keep or find a disc again! :D

MS also have better controllers. I have had a play with both and tbh the xbone controller is not as good as the 360 one, but it might be improved later.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One thing I am not sure about is how the Kinect sensor should be placed as my set up is TV on a standard unit and my couch about 3-4 foot away.

Me too - I had to get rid of kinect due to moving my sofas around, and suddenly had no space for it. Would be a waste of time with kinect 2 as I don't have the space now...so I hope there is no requirement IF I order one...
    Forum Member
    Hands on review from Tech Radar
    (apologies if already posted)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/games-consoles/xbox-one-review-1153153/review

Hmmmm.

I am liking the the pass-through HDMI link, ideal for my Sat box, and on the whole I'm starting to prefer what the XBO can do over the PS4.

For me XBO has the better launch line up, as did the 360.
    Over Drive Club (ps4) and Forza 5 I personally think Forza is the better.

Just haven't fully made my mind up about the DRM issues yet, that could be the clincher.

The tv stuff won;t work in the UK at launch. Tbh the TV features are a gimmick. We already watch TV's on our tv. The only reason Xbox is doing that is so they can show adverts at the bottom of the screen.

The DRM issues are the killer tbh.
    Forum Member
    I am getting one as I have loved the 360, and xbox live. I don't rent games, or buy used and I have a good internet connection so I don't see any issues with this. I will miss lending games to friends, but hoping that the family system might replace this.

I am really looking forward to the new kinect system, and seeing it integrated into games sensibly for basic tracking and voice control. I think the DRM is great as I will never need to keep or find a disc again! :D

MS also have better controllers. I have had a play with both and tbh the xbone controller is not as good as the 360 one, but it might be improved later.

But you know that on the PS3 and 360 when you download games you can play them on any system and give them to two consoles at any time.

The DRM is a hindrance, not a plus. It doesn't benefit consumers in anyway and it'll eventually lead to more restrictions and the removal of all of our consumer rights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    But you know that on the PS3 and 360 when you download games you can play them on any system and give them to two consoles at any time.

Yeah, imagine this for every title you can buy on the xbone! I personally think this is great. I don't sell on games, so I just see DRM as a positive.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am playstation man, and will be getting the PS4. I am so tied into the whole playstation eco-system (love of the exclusive games, trophies, friends lists etc.) that it makes more sense to stay put.

However - the xbox 1 is tempting for one reason, and it is the only reason that matters... The games. They have done a really good job getting interesting exclusives for the system. Insomniac are one of my favourite devs and their title looked like great fun. TitanFall also looked really good.

So - I am going with the PS4 but next gen I will look over the fence with envy at some of the great titles you guys have coming...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A better title might have been why would anyone commit to buying either an xbone or a pishton4 at the moment considering we still don't know everything about either console?

However, I will be buying the xbone but not at launch, ill wait til the price drops. Why buy the xbone? Better exclusives, real exclusives, gold is no issue as i will still be using my Xbox anyway and the kinect is no issue as i have a proper gaming setup that can accommodate it.

I understand why people hate it, I understand why people are currently preferring the PS4, but ultimately its all about the games and the real exclusive games I'm looking at from E3 is comprehensive, MS destroyed Sony on this front, if little else.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Me too - I had to get rid of kinect due to moving my sofas around, and suddenly had no space for it. Would be a waste of time with kinect 2 as I don't have the space now...so I hope there is no requirement IF I order one...

The Kinect 2.0 apparently has a wider field of view allowing it to be used in smaller spaces.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Been a while since I posted here.

Still torn between Xbox One or PS4.

Xbox One being the all in one kinda plays to my needs as I have limited HDMI slots so basically I can connect my Sky+ box (When and IF they can support it soon after launch) as well as having a Blu Ray drive (Again good as I can do away with my Blu Ray player and free up another HDMI slot).

Kinect I'm none too fussy about but like many I'll take it with a pinch of salt that it would be really truly 'off' when turned off in the settings. Anyone not convinced of that? I'm sure there will be 3rd party gaming accessories looking to cash in by offering a cover for the Kinect that blocks it's view and mutes it's mic to a degree.

As of tonight's revelations it seems the DRM and Online Connectivity has seemed to be reversed. Was never really fussed about checking in online as I'm usually connected to Xbox Live anyway upon sign in. But still good to know I can trade in a game or two when I feel like it.

I won't post much about the PS4 as this is an Xbox forum but note I'm not the 'F' word for either company or consoles :)
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    After yesterday's announcement I will be getting an XBox1 because I like Kinect. I know that seems to put me in a minority on here!!
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ball is back in play for me.

They've dropped what people didn't want, so now there is no reason for me not to buy the X1 and the games I want to play, and can only play on the x1. :)
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RangersFan wrote: »
    Been a while since I posted here.

Still torn between Xbox One or PS4.

Xbox One being the all in one kinda plays to my needs as I have limited HDMI slots so basically I can connect my Sky+ box (When and IF they can support it soon after launch) as well as having a Blu Ray drive (Again good as I can do away with my Blu Ray player and free up another HDMI slot).

Kinect I'm none too fussy about but like many I'll take it with a pinch of salt that it would be really truly 'off' when turned off in the settings. Anyone not convinced of that? I'm sure there will be 3rd party gaming accessories looking to cash in by offering a cover for the Kinect that blocks it's view and mutes it's mic to a degree.
    As of tonight's revelations it seems the DRM and Online Connectivity has seemed to be reversed. Was never really fussed about checking in online as I'm usually connected to Xbox Live anyway upon sign in. But still good to know I can trade in a game or two when I feel like it.

I won't post much about the PS4 as this is an Xbox forum but note I'm not the 'F' word for either company or consoles :)

My solution.

Take a screwdriver, undo/pry open the sensor box and pull the wires.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    There's stuff like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pritect-Sensor-Xbox-360-Windows-Kinect/dp/B0054NROWU

I can see stuff like this selling well for those that don't trust that it isn't always watching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My solution.

Take a screwdriver, undo/pry open the sensor box and pull the wires.

All the XBone needs to do is have a self-checking function to see that the mic and camera are working and then lock out your XBone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Day-one pre-order is still in place for now! Primarily for Forza 5.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    All the XBone needs to do is have a self-checking function to see that the mic and camera are working and then lock out your XBone.

You're giving HAL too much credit
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Microsoft for changing the drm policy. It will eventually be forgotten and the mainstream consumer won't know much about it. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall during the meetings this week at Microsoft to see who was pro drm and who was against it. Some egos would have took a bashing.
    Last week I was 50/50 about getting the one but now I'm almost certain I will get one. The line up of games in the first 12 months is the strongest I've seen from any previous console launch. I'd rather pay the extra £80 if it means it's going to be used on a daily basis to play games. The ps4 looks good but they just isn't enough games that interest me to win me over in the first year.
  • Gazza_Gazza_ Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the main reasons is the controller and forza 5
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the look of the games, then those of PS.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing putting me off the XOne now is the bundled Kinect, which I will probably never use. Still, that can be switched to privacy mode so it's no deal-breaker. Most of the other stuff has been got rid of in MS's latest announcement so I see no reason not to get one. I think I've had more enjoyment out of the Xbox and the 360 than any other gaming device, so I intend to stick with MS.