• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    crazy cache.
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to get that speed on broadband ! you have to have special cable fitted and as far as i know. The price of that being installed is well beyond the average person be able to afford. and probably more than one cable ! superfast broadband is available but only to commerical customers !
    virgin is fast ! ther is no doubt about it , claims of 30/50 have been made ,but its unlikely to stay at that speed.
    BT is supposedto have the fastest avaliable (so they say).
    But again connection has to be done on special cables,that are only available in a few areas.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to get that speed on broadband ! you have to have special cable fitted and as far as i know. The price of that being installed is well beyond the average person be able to afford. and probably more than one cable ! superfast broadband is available but only to commerical customers !
    virgin is fast ! ther is no doubt about it , claims of 30/50 have been made ,but its unlikely to stay at that speed.
    But again connection has to be done on special cables,that are only available in a few areas.

What are you talking about ????

Virgin offer 50mb and have rolled out 100mb to trial customers.

BTW OP, you need a different modem then the one supplied with M to get 50mb or above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member

Ofcom stated back in July that VM came out top as the best UK provider
    Link

And they'll be releasing 100Mb residentual broadband later next year for a price similar to their 50Mb just now in most areas that allow for 50Mb just now so it's not that impossible.
    Having said that it's probably more likely that there's an issue with the website than anything that or the original poster accidently got put on the trials for 100Mb :p
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Have you recently changed your anti-virus software?, this has ben raised before and some suites in conjunction with different browsers can produce bizarre results.

They are obviously not accurate results, in fact they are impossible with the hardware you will have for 'M' broadband.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Have you recently changed your anti-virus software?, this has ben raised before and some suites in conjunction with different browsers can produce bizarre results.

They are obviously not accurate results, in fact they are impossible with the hardware you will have for 'M' broadband.

unless the OP has been on 50 meg before, and downgraded later, I have the right equiptment for 50 meg, but only have 20meg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's possible but 91mb is such a random figure it is unlikely.

The OP has previously said he upgraded from 2mb to 10mb, no mention of 50mb.

I would hedge my bets on a software conflict.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    That's possible but 91mb is such a random figure it is unlikely.

The OP has previously said he upgraded from 2mb to 10mb, no mention of 50mb.

I would hedge my bets on a software conflict.

I agree.... with Speedtest.net... I have had well over 100mb on average in the past... didn't take it seriously though.... speedtest.io always brings me back to reality ! Best honest tester out there...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    Speed Test

and I am on M Broadband!

Getting consistently the same result for the last couple of hours
    That is cached within your browser and is giving you false readings, the upload is correct for 10Mb and your modem will be a Docsis 1 model not Docsis 3 as would be required to get either 50Mb or 100Mb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dipro wrote: »
    I agree.... with Speedtest.net... I have had well over 100mb on average in the past... didn't take it seriously though.... speedtest.io always brings me back to reality ! Best honest tester out there...:rolleyes:

I have tinkered with several anti virus suites on my home PC and each time I changed got results ranging from 1 to well over 100mb download speeds, all on a 10mb package.

I have Avast and Firefox on the PC I am using now and generally get results ranging from 8-30mb but I have seen the odd 130mb!, however my laptop has MS essentials and IE and I always get around 10mb as expected. I always use speedtest.net.

Speedtest.io returns a blank screen for me?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
  • Options
    JaxkesaJaxkesa Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Looks like you stole some of my 50meg speed :(

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1029055731.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I have tinkered with several anti virus suites on my home PC and each time I changed got results ranging from 1 to well over 100mb download speeds, all on a 10mb package.

I have Avast and Firefox on the PC I am using now and generally get results ranging from 8-30mb but I have seen the odd 130mb!, however my laptop has MS essentials and IE and I always get around 10mb as expected. I always use speedtest.net.

Speedtest.io returns a blank screen for me?

Try Kaspersky.... you will get some very strange results :rolleyes:

sorry about the link... here is the right one ;)

http://www.speed.io/index_en.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dipro wrote: »
    Try Kaspersky.... you will get some very strange results :rolleyes:

sorry about the link... here is the right one ;)

http://www.speed.io/index_en.html

You are indeed correct with Kaspersky, I tried that too as it came free with Barclays, considering my PC ground to a halt with it I acheived some amazing speed test results. I never even bothered to try the VM provided suite as isn't that Kaspersky?

I wonder if it is a cable broadband thing, it's been a while but I don't recall getting crazy results with BT.
  • Options
    cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member

I am on 50 meg not changed my profile for ages
  • Options
    Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Site not to be trusted! Just tried a random one and it gave me http://www.speedtest.net/result/1031218871.png when I am only on 20Mb!