Options

Panic attacks?

Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've recently started having panic attacks, well I think they were panic attacks, they could have been anxiety attacks as I suffer badly with anxiety. Does anyone know the difference between the two?
My heart feels like it's about to come out of my chest, I feel sick, lightheaded, breathless, like i'm not really there (if that makes sense) and other symptoms too like sensitivty to light. I know I need to get some help for it but i'm just too scared to.
I know everyone experiences panic attacks differently but can people tell you're having a panic attack? Sometimes I try and contain it so i'm not sure if people know or not but other times i've been hyperventiilating that much that people around me did know. How can they vary so much?

Comments

• Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound slike it could be, go to you Doctor they can help.my uncle has started wih them and he has meds, somewhat oder than you as he is 80 but my aunt has told me he is calmer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    The idea of seeing a doctor probably panics you - but since you're facing anxiety and panic anyway - make it work for you.

Book an appointment with your GP - then make a note of your feelings and what you want to talk about - you may find it easier to hand your GP a quick written synopsis - like your post here.

There is a myriad of help available, but you do need to make the first move before your GP can give you access to whatever will work for you.
  • Options
    AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    It does sound like you are having panic attacks.
    I had two after I lost my husband, they were obviously caused by a build up of stress.
    The first one I had I didn't know what was happening, I thought I was having a heart attack.
    My heart felt as if it was crashing against my ribs, it was really scary.
    Other symptoms were one minute feeling very hot then feeling very cold.
    The final straw was vomiting, my neighbours took me to hospital and luckily A&E was quiet so was seen straight away.
    The second one I had I guessed what was happening and was able to control it.
    Go to the Doctors, experiencing a panic attack has been said to be one of the most intensely frightening, upsetting and uncomfortable experiences of a person's life and may take days to initially recover from.
    After my first one I did not feel well for a few days.
    The doctor will give you medication to calm you down, if they are bad you do need help to get over them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I suffer from anxiety and have had a fair few panic attacks, I don't know the difference to be honest because when I feel anxious and trapped somewhere I get the sweaty palms, vision getting weird, shaking etc.
    I would definitely suggest going to the doctors, any help in dealing with them is a good thing.
    When I had my first one in 2004 I didn't have a clue what was going on, nearly rang 999, thought I was dying as I felt like I couldn't swallow and I was gasping for breath, I literally shook for the whole rest of the day and then I started to become agoraphobic as I was terrified of it happening again, sadly anxiety has been part of my life ever since but don't let that stop you going to the doctors as I know tons of people who have gotten help and now lead a pretty panic free life, I guess I'm just a worrying wimp!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to and need to sort it out and stop it from getting worse but i'm too worried to. I don't want to be put on medication.
    I've read online that people probably can't tell you're having a panic attack and that'd be true for a few that i've had but a couple, i've been hyperventilating and shaking so people obviously did see and could tell. So I feel a bit abormal. Is it normal for them to be so different and for people to see you are having one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panic/anxiety attacks can be very frightenening but there are many ways to overcome them which don't involve taking medication. Sometimes though, if there is underlying depression, medication can be very helpful in the short-term. Go and see your GP who will discuss your symptoms and suggest ways of managing them.

I had very debilitating panic attacks for years and it was only when I understood my reaction to situations that I could begin to control the way my body reacted to them. Simply learning how to breathe in a certain way when I felt an attack coming on, prevented it getting worse and eventually I felt more in control and the attacks stopped esculating.

Good luck OP, I wish you all the best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Iv had them since my daughter was born 11 months ago. I have had about 4 in total and it's the most terrifying thing I have went through ! I thought I was having a heart attack and the more I panicked it made it worse. Luckily I haven't had many of them, which is a blessing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to have a chat with your doctor.

Panic attacks and anxiety attacks are two different names for the same thing. Don't be worried about getting them as lots of people do.

I've had them all my life and have learned to work around them, within my limitations, but if you can get them dealt with quickly it's much better, as you should get fully better quite rapidly.

Hope you get sorted soon xxx
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i find blowing into a bag really does work. [in the meantime].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YumB9FxOYs4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like I'm always saying this but panic attacks/anxiety problems can also have a medical cause. I would ask for a thyroid check at the docs to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies.

I've been told it could be a hormonal imbalance and things but wouldn't I be anxious all the time for it to be that? I'm only anxious in certain situations such as crowds and closed in places.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »
    I feel sick, lightheaded, breathless, like i'm not really there (if that makes sense) and other symptoms too like sensitivty to light.

I get those symptoms as well, particularly the last two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Hyperventilating is one thing you don't want to do as the next stage is unconsciousness.

The key to try and control panic attacks is to slow your breathing down, mentally tell yourself to slow it down and also tell yourself that your having a panic attack and that really YOU ARE OK.

Easier said than done I do agree but after suffering them for a lot of years I have learned how to do that although I have also learned what triggers mine so, thankfully I no longer suffer from them as I can spot it a mile away.

Good luck, you are absolutely fine and you will be ok, stop taking deep breaths ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just embarrassing having one in front of people, they must think i'm weird. I don't want to go on medication for it, i'd prefer to try and get through them myself.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what triggers these panic/anxiety attacks?

I know exactly what you mean. Following a very traumatic incident nearly 2 years ago in which I was nearly killed I was diagnosed with PTSD. I used to feel like you describe and was scared to go out alone, scared of strangers, scared of sudden noises, scared of just about everything and any little thing would get me feeling how you feel now.

I did have to go on medication but only take the lowest dose. I also saw a counsellor for about a year. To be honest, the counselling wasn't much help. I listen to relaxation tapes quite often and they help. I have recently started yoga and that's helping too. Other than that I just keep telling myself that the feeling WILL pass and it does. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hyperventilating is one thing you don't want to do as the next stage is unconsciousness.

Yep. I'd been falsely reassured by articles claiming that you can't fall down or lose conscious during an anxiety attack, as the body is in a heightened state of alert. Recent experience has taught me otherwise!
    The key to try and control panic attacks is to slow your breathing down,

During an anxiety attack, I always find that exhaling makes my chest hurt badly and inhaling gives me immense pressure in my head. Does this happen to others here? It therefore makes it really hard to slow down my breathing, as instructed, as it seemingly makes the pain worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Do you know what triggers these panic/anxiety attacks?

I know exactly what you mean. Following a very traumatic incident nearly 2 years ago in which I was nearly killed I was diagnosed with PTSD. I used to feel like you describe and was scared to go out alone, scared of strangers, scared of sudden noises, scared of just about everything and any little thing would get me feeling how you feel now.

I did have to go on medication but only take the lowest dose. I also saw a counsellor for about a year. To be honest, the counselling wasn't much help. I listen to relaxation tapes quite often and they help. I have recently started yoga and that's helping too. Other than that I just keep telling myself that the feeling WILL pass and it does. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for your reply. I'm still not entirely sure what triggers it. Being around people I don't know makes me anxious and being in busy places. But it isn't just those situations it's happened in.

Thank you :)
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Yep. I'd been falsely reassured by articles claiming that you can't fall down or lose conscious during an anxiety attack, as the body is in a heightened state of alert. Recent experience has taught me otherwise!

I keep reading articles that you can't faint during a panic attack. Is this not true then? Because of my hyperventilating, I feel really lightheaded and weak. I guess the other poster is right, the next stage probably is being unconscious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. I'm still not entirely sure what triggers it. Being around people I don't know makes me anxious and being in busy places. But it isn't just those situations it's happened in.

Thank you :)

I keep reading articles that you can't faint during a panic attack. Is this not true then? Because of my hyperventilating, I feel really lightheaded and weak. I guess the other poster is right, the next stage probably is being unconscious.

I also have low blood pressure which can cause a dizzy/lightheaded feeling so with that and the panic attacks I'm sometimes struggling. However, I want to reassure you that with all this going on I have never fainted. I read in a book that you have to tell yourself to "float" through this and that it will not last. That really works for me.

As soon as I feel "normal" again after an attack I look back and am proud that I got through it and know that I can again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After each panic attack I don't feel normal for ages. The rest of the day I feel drained, exhausted and have no energy to do anything and feel really rough. It that normal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After each panic attack I don't feel normal for ages. The rest of the day I feel drained, exhausted and have no energy to do anything and feel really rough. It that normal?

I think it is. It's horrible.:( However, just keep up the "this too will pass" chant and you'll get through it.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I feel like that too. Eating bananas can help, as can turkey and potatoes. And caffeine, even small amounts in chocolate or weak tea, is best avoided.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I was close to a panic attack tonight. Only ever had 2 in my life (on the same holiday because of my 'friend' when I was a teenager)

I've got the flu but was feeling a bit better so went to my brothers. When I was about to leave, I felt really bad and was a bit dizzy, like I couldn't get up and walk, afraid I'd just collapse outside or something. So I started panicking a bit and I had a few heart palpitations, which made my panic worse. But I just tried to kick myself mentally in the head and told me to not panic and slow breathing. My brother walked me home and almost as soon as I got home, I felt tons better.

Hope you get some help with your panic attacks OP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently started having panic attacks, well I think they were panic attacks, they could have been anxiety attacks as I suffer badly with anxiety. Does anyone know the difference between the two?
    My heart feels like it's about to come out of my chest, I feel sick, lightheaded, breathless, like i'm not really there (if that makes sense) and other symptoms too like sensitivty to light. I know I need to get some help for it but i'm just too scared to.
    I know everyone experiences panic attacks differently but can people tell you're having a panic attack? Sometimes I try and contain it so i'm not sure if people know or not but other times i've been that much that people around me did know. How can they vary so much?

Blowing into a paper bag is a common way of treating hyperventilating ( just type into Google for imfo.) The panic attacks can be helped with one of the NHS Panic attack Management course CDs..and there are management courses you can attend
  • Options
    hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I'm a counsellor and it does sound like it could be panic attacks (though as I'm not a doctor I can't diagnose it, esp over the internet!). I do work with people with panic attacks - the best model of counselling for panic attacks is CBT though (which is not my main model).

I can thoroughly recommend this book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Panic-Attacks-Overcoming-Fear/dp/0745955452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361623540&sr=8-1
    Obviously you can get it other places than Amazon.

You could read that whilst you pluck up courage to go to the GP. It will explain why you get the symptoms which often will take the sting out the tail for sufferers i.e. I'm not going mad, not going to die, not going to disgrace myself publicly.

These days the NHS have their own counsellors (IAPTs), many of whom use CBT, though there is a long waiting list in many areas (despite the I of IAPT standing for "improving") :rolleyes: