Would you fly in a plane without windows?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make them with transparent bottoms...

Make the whole thing transluscent!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Actually, windows in skyscrapers can and do cause problems - i.e. with HVAC or Wi-Fi security. But, that aside, the problems we're addressing here aren't particularly problems for the end-users, but the maintainers/operators.

I have visions of somebody hovering outside a skyscraper in a hot air balloon so they can get free wifi. :D

I suppose the other thing to consider is what you're actually doing in a place.
    I mean, theoretically, you're only on a plane, train or bus 'cos you're trying to get from A to B so the availability of a decent view shouldn't be a big deal in the same way that it might be in an office block or summat, where creating a decent environment might improve productivity.
    Course, in reality, I doubt many people would be keen on the idea of travelling in a train or bus with no windows either, regardless of whether it was getting them to their destination.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I have visions of somebody hovering outside a skyscraper in a hot air balloon so they can get free wifi. :D

Ha, yeah, although no need for a hot air balloon if you're in, say, Manhattan.

Speaking of Manhattan, the following link from my company is a good example of how changing the type of windows used in a skyscraper can save a firm millions, http://www.multivu.com/players/English/55313-johnson-controls-empire-state-building-efficiency/links/55313-ESB-Energy-Savings-News-Release.pdf

Imagine the cost savings if the Empire State Building was window-less!!??
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I suppose the other thing to consider is what you're actually doing in a place.
    I mean, theoretically, you're only on a plane, train or bus 'cos you're trying to get from A to B so the availability of a decent view shouldn't be a big deal in the same way that it might be in an office block or summat, where creating a decent environment might improve productivity.
    Course, in reality, I doubt many people would be keen on the idea of travelling in a train or bus with no windows either, regardless of whether it was getting them to their destination.

Yeah, theoretically speaking, neither planes or skyscrapers need windows.....and for that matter, neither do lifts need mirrors, but hey....I guess the key drivers for these type of ideas are invariably cost-driven. I'd hate for window-less planes to become the norm just because it saves companies and/or passengers a bit of cash.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who has been in the back of a C-130 or C-17 will have some idea as to what it's like to be in a windowless aircraft.
    Make them with transparent bottoms...

Wasn't that done by Virgin Airlines as an April Fool's Day joke? As for transparent aircraft designs, look at Airbus' concept.

http://www.airbus.com/innovation/future-by-airbus/concept-planes/
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty much mission impossible to get me on a plane in the first place. Take out the windows and create a flying coffin capsule then my hell would be complete.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There'll be display materials around that can replace windows giving the passenger a better experience than through a standard window e.g zoom feature or annotated displays and no doubt floor displays so you can see below you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    There'll be display materials around that can replace windows giving the passenger a better experience than through a standard window e.g zoom feature or annotated displays and no doubt floor displays so you can see below you.

I would hate to see below me in a plane, it's scary enough going on the walk of faith up Blackpool tower :o
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to fly in a plane with Windows. Even the tills at Tesco get the Blue Screen Of Death. It's DOS boot disk all the way for me till Jakarta
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    If it's full of Mac and Linux users it wouldn't be too bad. Why should us Mac users be surrounded by the Windows riffraff? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's full of Mac and Linux users it wouldn't be too bad. Why should us Mac users be surrounded by the Windows riffraff? :p

Maybe you shouldn't fly Delta;

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2118
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I would not fly in a plane without windows. How would the pilots see where they where going? :o
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not the most ridiculous idea - small submarines nowadays have their observation domes/bubbles poured out of strengthened resin, and they are designed to withstand excesses of pressure, so it should be possible to use a similar material to withstand pressure INSIDE an aircraft at altitude trying to get out...

The problem of course would be the cost....and possibly the weight I.E. because of the thickness of material needing to be used.
    Forum Member

I'm not likely to any time soon but thanks for that anyway, that's interesting :D
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Anyone who has been in the back of a C-130 or C-17 will have some idea as to what it's like to be in a windowless aircraft.

Wasn't that done by Virgin Airlines as an April Fool's Day joke? As for transparent aircraft designs, look at Airbus' concept.

http://www.airbus.com/innovation/future-by-airbus/concept-planes/

That's seriously cool:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I in the minority (of DS users and most likely not the general public, just to clarify) who actually LIKES windows on planes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Am I in the minority (of DS users and most likely not the general public, just to clarify) who actually LIKES windows on planes?

No - well, not in this thread anyway where the majority seem to favour windows.
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we fly without parachutes, and that to me seems more important. no I woudnt like not to see out a plane, but then I wouldnt want this one either. http://blog.virgin-atlantic.com/t5/Our-Experience/Virgin-Atlantic-Launches-World-s-First-Ever-Glass-Bottomed-Plane/ba-p/6096#.Uyh7Fqh_sWk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - well, not in this thread anywhere where the majority seem to favour windows.

Maybe I should try reading the full thread next time. Started reading the first page then gave up halfway through :D
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we fly without parachutes, and that to me seems more important.

You mean those "flying squirrel!" suits??? That's hardly "flying", just glorified directional falling :p
    Forum Member
    No - well, not in this thread anyway where the majority seem to favour windows.

Well more people use Windows than Mac OSX or Linux, so of course a lot of people are going to favour it.

I'll get my coat...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well more people use Windows than Mac OSX or Linux, so of course a lot of people are going to favour it.

I'll get my coat...

:D:D:D:D