Options

Eurovision and Scottish Independence

cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
Forum Member
This might seem like an odd question, but I wonder what would happen with the UK's Eurovision entry if Scotland does become independent. Wouldn't Scotland have to send a separate entry from the rest of the UK? Would they even be in the EBU?

Comments

• Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Yes Campaign website, there was actually a section dedicated to Eurovision at one point, but it seems to be gone now?

http://scotreferendum.com/questions/would-the-scottish-broadcasting-service-sbs-join-the-european-broadcasting-union-ebu/

The EBU has made a statement about this, stating that Scotland would have to reapply for EBU membership, and they wouldn't be fast tracked: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2565259/The-latest-threat-Scottish-independence-Eurovision-Scotland-warned-not-guaranteed-place-replaces-BBC-broadcaster.html
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    It's in this pdf file: - http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0043/00439021.pdf

"474. Would the Scottish Broadcasting Service join the European Broadcasting Union (EBU)?

Yes. The SBS would seek membership of the EBU and would be an active and constructive partner in the organisation. As part of this participation, we would envisage the SBS engaging with some of the EBU competitions, including Scottish entries in the Eurovision Song Contest."

I still love that they covered every possible consequence. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    It's in this pdf file: - http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0043/00439021.pdf

"474. Would the Scottish Broadcasting Service join the European Broadcasting Union (EBU)?

Yes. The SBS would seek membership of the EBU and would be an active and constructive partner in the organisation. As part of this participation, we would envisage the SBS engaging with some of the EBU competitions, including Scottish entries in the Eurovision Song Contest."

I still love that they covered every possible consequence. :D

I love how the DailyFail article described Scotland having to reapply to the EBU as "the latest blow to the yes campaign" :D:D You can just imagine previous "yes" voters saying "oh dear. Not being able to enter Eurovision? Best vote no!". :')
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of curiosity, what are the benefits of being part of the EBU other than entering Eurovision? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I love how the DailyFail article described Scotland having to reapply to the EBU as "the latest blow to the yes campaign" :D:D You can just imagine previous "yes" voters saying "oh dear. Not being able to enter Eurovision? Best vote no!". :')

That's the DM for you! :D I don't want the Scots to leave, but they're entitled to have their say and vote how they want to and if they do decide to go with yes, at least on the plus side we'll get some more points. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Out of curiosity, what are the benefits of being part of the EBU other than entering Eurovision? :p

Puts sport on the telly. http://www3.ebu.ch/services/sports
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sporting rights.
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Entering JESC hahaha!

In addition to sport rights they act like a proper union so when things go tits up like they did in Greece last year they can set up emergency measures, argue to their government on behalf of the broadcaster etc. I think they also do a lot of R&D for new TV technology.
  • Options
    mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might seem like an odd question, but I wonder what would happen with the UK's Eurovision entry if Scotland does become independent. Wouldn't Scotland have to send a separate entry from the rest of the UK? Would they even be in the EBU?

I would say yes to both of those, although I don't think they would make it into the EBU that easily.

*Random Question* Are you the person who won the first DS Fantasy Eurovision?:p *Random Question*
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't STV just retain their existing membership they have with ITV like the Balkans did in the break up of Yugoslavia?
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland would have to go through the semi's though, so it would have to be quality stuff they sent!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Scotland would have to go through the semi's though, so it would have to be quality stuff they sent!

That hasn't stopped Latvia from sending crap! :blush::blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    That hasn't stopped Latvia from sending crap! :blush::blush:

Nor a few others. :D:D:D

IF they go yes, then Scottish Independence Day won't be until 24th March 2016 so I guess that means we wouldn't see them until 2017 anyway.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Another silly question I know, but would everyone still sing Auld Lang Syne at new years? :D
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think it's going to happen whereas 2 months ago I thought there was no chance:o(not that I want it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Another silly question I know, but would everyone still sing Auld Lang Syne at new years? :D

Yes - this is done by many English-speaking countries, actually. In the US and Canada, they sing it also.