Amazon Fire TV

Comments

• whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok Box came today..........think I have got a wrong un !

Box came pre loaded with all my amazon details and prime account.

That works perfectly and loads instantly - no problems there.........

BBC Iplayer works fine as well.

5Player says not compatible with this device.

Went through the guide to load us apps - all went fine - changed amazon account BACK to uk at end - all still fine.

I downloaded the SLINGPLAYER and HULU PLUS APPS.

The NETFLIX app I downloaded from the uk side.

NETFLIX just wont work properly - I have to go into setup and clear cache of Amazon Instant Video - unplug box for 30 seconds - plug back in and then it will work - once, if I come out of app and then try it again I get an error.

SLINGPLAYER app is NOT compatible with Slinbox Pro - just the new M1, 350 and 300 BOXES - Not Fire Tv's fault - but I use my slingbox a lot as its connected to a DIRECTV box in usa - I currently use a WDTV for the slingbox but was hoping to have one box for everything.

HULU PLUS refused to work - then seemed to work after many times trying. Once it worked once it now seems ok - but plenty of pauses and buffering.

My main problem is Netflix - is there a combination of buttons to press to reset the box without me unplugging it all the time ?

I use OVERPLAY smartdns - and have done for approx 18months - works flawlessly with HULU PLUS and NETFLIX via PC.

DNS settings are changed in the router so I shouldn't have to change anything in the AFTV should I ?

I am using wifi but the box is next to my ASUSRTN56 which is on 150 meg Virgin Media with superhub using modem mode.

I also have a USA ROKU stick which works flawlessly and a number of wdtv boxes which work flawlessly.

Can anybody offer me some advice to solve my Netflix problem ?

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The exact error message is "there is a problem connecting to netflix. please try again later -12"

Clear cache and reboot and it loads.............but just the once.

Dave
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried a different Netflix region other than the US?

Try switching to Netflix Canada or something, reboot the box just to be sure.

There is a quick way to reboot the AFTV. Press and hold the select (the big circular button) and the play button for about 7 seconds. Then the box just reboots.

See if a different Netflix region works and let us know.

I have an Amazon Fire TV Box, and it works absolutely fine with Netflix, BBC, Hulu etc, but things can sometimes go wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up and factory reset the box.....going to start again from scratch and see what happens.

Maybe I messed up something when downloading hulu plus etc.

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, but which Netflix countries were you testing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay started again from scratch and same problem......except when I choose UK Netflix from overplays selection screem it works ok - as soon as i change it to USA netflix region I get an error - do I need to change any settings on the AFTV itself ?

I assume overplay is working correctly as hulu plus works fine.

And its working ok for all other devices tablets, phones, roku, wdtv etc

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be a problem with accessing USA Netflix right now via Smart DNS (for some people - it doesn't affect everyone). Contact OverPlay to let them know that you are also being affected, but they are aware of the problem and looking into it.

No other countries seem to be affected, so until its fixed, try and find the shows you are after from another region. It seemed to affect me a few days ago, but mine is working fine again now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a thought - I do change the amazon account in "manage devices" back to the uk at the end don't I ?

Or do I leave it as USA ?

I have a US and a UK amazon account - they both have the same email address and password.

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, that one I can't be sure. I tend to keep mine at the UK, as I am always hoping 40D and ITV Player will suddenly appear ;)

But it would be interesting to see what happens.

Just remember, that to use the UK Prime, you need to set OverPlay region to UK. It can be anywhere else for the US except UK & DE as they switch between the European Primes and are separate to the US one (as the UK and DE used to be LoveFilm).

But it would be interesting to see if your library changes. I have a US Prime as well, but it is with a different email account, so I have to sign in separately for the US Prime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    There seems to be a problem with accessing USA Netflix right now via Smart DNS (for some people - it doesn't affect everyone). Contact OverPlay to let them know that you are also being affected, but they are aware of the problem and looking into it.

No other countries seem to be affected, so until its fixed, try and find the shows you are after from another region. It seemed to affect me a few days ago, but mine is working fine again now.

Thanks for this........I tried Japan - it brought up Netflix fine but I don't think it was Japan as
    there were no programmes with japanese writing - Brazil will not load at all same as usa - will try some more - think this could be my problem.

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment there is no Netflix Japan (that comes this summer).

The locale selector is a bit confusing at times, as they have mixed everything into the single dial (some people find it easier that way, but others find it confusing). The Japan there is for Hulu, and was to switch Hulu between US and Japan (though you need a separate Japanese account)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh, that one I can't be sure. I tend to keep mine at the UK, as I am always hoping 40D and ITV Player will suddenly appear ;)

Just remember, that to use the UK Prime, you need to set OverPlay region to UK. It can be anywhere else for the US except UK & DE as they switch between the European Primes and are separate to the US one (as the UK and DE used to be LoveFilm).

But it would be interesting to see if your library changes. I have a US Prime as well, but it is with a different email account, so I have to sign in separately for the US Prime.

So the Overplay region setting has an affect on Amazon Prime ?

I had no idea - at the moment I have uk prime on the box - have no idea how to get us prime on it but i think they are similar enough not to be worried about that.

Does anybody else use OVERPLAY without issue with the AFTV ?

Changed Netflix to South America and that worked ok.

Dave
  • gothergother Posts: 14,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just to confirm the library does change if you switch between us and uk amazon instant video, i had both and when i set my amazon content to us i got the us instant video library and when i set my amazon account to uk i got the uk library.
    Netflix usa is also hit and miss on my unblock-us so i think it may be a actual netflix usa issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Just to confirm the library does change if you switch between us and uk amazon instant video, i had both and when i set my amazon content to us i got the us instant video library and when i set my amazon account to uk i got the uk library.
    Netflix usa is also hit and miss on my unblock-us so i think it may be a actual netflix usa issue.

Thank you

Do you need to download 2 amazon prime apps to access the 2 territories ?

Or will the same app access both ?

Remembering I have the same email and password for both - would overplay smart dns switcher work for amazon prime too in switching locales ?

Dave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whiteswan wrote: »
    Thank you

Do you need to download 2 amazon prime apps to access the 2 territories ?

Or will the same app access both ?

Remembering I have the same email and password for both - would overplay smart dns switcher work for amazon prime too in switching locales ?

Dave

No need to download any prime apps your firetv has amazon instant video built into it it will work for both regions.
    I don't know about overplay as i don't use it but i imagine it would do.
    You would also have to set your kindle settings to amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk too go to amazon.co.uk - your acount - manage content and devices - setting- country settings and just switch it between your uk and usa address as desired.
    Remember though if you're set to amazon.com you would have to change your settings via amazon.com to return to uk settings and likewise if you're set to amazon.co.uk you'd have to change your settings via amazon.co.uk to change to usa if desired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi guys,

Sorry I can't add much to the discussion as I'm a bit of a novice. I was wondering if someone could provide a link for Firefox and Chrome browsers as I cannot find them online. Just got the Fire TV yesterday and so far I've only been able to download Kodi, with the help of a video on YouTube.

Many Thanks in advance.

P.S. If there are any side loaded apps that you would recommend (with links), then that would be great.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading some forums on this and there was some posts from last November that mentioned stuttering videos on Netflix, all depending on the framerate, which you had to switch manually to fix.

Is this still an issue or were people complaining about nothing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    I was reading some forums on this and there was some posts from last November that mentioned stuttering videos on Netflix, all depending on the framerate, which you had to switch manually to fix.

Is this still an issue or were people complaining about nothing?

Never had a issue myself both wired or wireless.
    It was most likely down to their isp.
  • MikeOf LBuzzardMikeOf LBuzzard Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Has anyone experienced this problem?
    Whenever I do a search it finds content but when selected it gives a message saying it cannot be found in the catalogue . Amazon support have suggested I do a factory reset on the box. However this will remove any US apps I have on it.
    Any suggestions as I would really like to keep Hulu plus on the box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you searching for Amazon only content? As the voice search also works with Hulu (if you have that installed).

Which Amazon Prime do you have a sub with? And name a couple of things you are searching for and I'll try mine.

I don't believe a factory reset will wipe your American apps. You will have to reinstall them all, but it should be possible to simply do from the Apps section on the AFTV. I am not 100% sure about this, but this is what I saw when I acquired my second AFTV device. After logging in with my account, I could easily install all my "bought" apps, whether they were from the UK, US or Germany.
    Forum Member
    Are you searching for Amazon only content? As the voice search also works with Hulu (if you have that installed).

Which Amazon Prime do you have a sub with? And name a couple of things you are searching for and I'll try mine.

I don't believe a factory reset will wipe your American apps. You will have to reinstall them all, but it should be possible to simply do from the Apps section on the AFTV. I am not 100% sure about this, but this is what I saw when I acquired my second AFTV device. After logging in with my account, I could easily install all my "bought" apps, whether they were from the UK, US or Germany.

I hadn't realised it searched Hulu plus too. However, I put in Nashville from Hulu and Arrow from Amazon Prime which both result in message 'Your search did not match anything in our catalogue'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Had to do a factory reset myself as had a virus awhile back after using 1app store lol, i can confirm all the apps will still be in the cloud ready to be downloaded to the box again. You just look in the my apps section and they'll be there ready to download.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nashville came up with two options in my test, with the highlight being to purchase or rent from Amazon. But if I clicked on the "More ways to watch" button, it suggested Hulu as well.

Arrow only came up to rent and purchase from Amazon, with no Prime option. I have it set for Amazon US, and I don't think Arrow is available on Prime there.
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    No need to download any prime apps your firetv has amazon instant video built into it it will work for both regions.
    I don't know about overplay as i don't use it but i imagine it would do.
    You would also have to set your kindle settings to amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk too go to amazon.co.uk - your acount - manage content and devices - setting- country settings and just switch it between your uk and usa address as desired.
    Remember though if you're set to amazon.com you would have to change your settings via amazon.com to return to uk settings and likewise if you're set to amazon.co.uk you'd have to change your settings via amazon.co.uk to change to usa if desired.

I would be interested to know how you did this. When I had my fire tv device registered to US account it did not recognise my UK Amazon Video account and only gave me the option of signing up to a 30 day trial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be interested to know how you did this. When I had my fire tv device registered to US account it did not recognise my UK Amazon Video account and only gave me the option of signing up to a 30 day trial.

You swap your stores via the device settings on your amazon account for usa you'd set it to amazon.com have a usa address too i used my own address but set it to new york usa with zip code 10001 as that is close to my postcode so my card got accepted.
    Then for uk you switch your amazon account to amazon.co.uk and use your uk address.