Penny Dreadful

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Looks very good - and made mostly in Ireland, I've read on imdb.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Yeah, they've been mostly filming in Dublin for the past five months.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pilot has been released online. Looks to be another 'must watch' show.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's lovely to see Billie Piper being in a talked about show, as well as for the US to take more notice of her following Doctor who and Call girl.
    Forum Member
    She's also in a SkyArts drama called Foxtrot with Lindsay Duncan and Ben Whishaw as well.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I watched the first episode. I liked it much more than the somewhat similar Dracula that debut about six months ago.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going by the display of male dangly, there's some UK money behind it, right ?!

(does this count as a spoiler ?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Going by the display of male dangly, there's some UK money behind it, right ?!

(does this count as a spoiler ?)

There is
    It's co-produced by SKY ATLANTIC
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darn those UK people and their constant need to show willies in morgues. Why they can't take a leaf out of the NCIS people and bring out some coverings. :sheesh: I guess they think "well it wouldn't be authentic then" ... :sheeshagain:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

About time - Sky with their incessant 'Coming Soon...' teaser campaign trailers bugs the crap out of me.

Why can't they just tell people when it's coming with specific dates, or if not fully scheduled week commencing (but unconfirmed day/time) like the BBC's Press Office, or the month. Fox are fairly up front with dates, by comparison.

Although useful, Sky never miss is not much use here, as that is a T minus 7 days counter.
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

About time.

Took them long enough.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Tuesday May 20th at 9pm

Yes - about time too.

But I saw a trailer for Critical, this week - saying, 'coming in 2015'.:o
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Tuesday May 20th at 9pm

Yes - about time too.

But I saw a trailer for Critical, this week - saying, 'coming in 2015'.:o

I saw that last night, and thought it was bizarre.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The opening episode is pretty good and the money is on the screen. It's a cross between LXG and Ripper Street. Timothy Dalton ensures the rest of the cast raise their game. Josh Hartnett, as usual, is the weak spot.
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to seeing this.
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Josh Hartnett, as usual, is the weak spot.

Not that I'm a Josh Hartnett fan, but that's unfair in this case. The first episode's script hardly gave him anything to work with. Eva Green, Timothy Dalton, and the actor playing Frankenstein all had great bits of dialogue to sink their teeth into.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have many people seen the pilot? I don't want specifics (I'm waiting for the Uk premiere haha!) but is Billie Piper in this a lot? I love her!
    Forum Member
    CSweeet7 wrote: »
    Have many people seen the pilot? I don't want specifics (I'm waiting for the Uk premiere haha!) but is Billie Piper in this a lot? I love her!

She is not in the first episode at all.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We thoroughly enjoyed the first episode - and no, Billie Piper is not in the first one..

We like this type of drama. Scenery was goof...atmosphere was brilliant....the main actors last night all had good dialogue... we felt the first episode is setting up for the rest of the series.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We thoroughly enjoyed the first episode - and no, Billie Piper is not in the first one..

We like this type of drama. Scenery was goof...atmosphere was brilliant....the main actors last night all had good dialogue... we felt the first episode is setting up for the rest of the series.

It is similar to Dracula but they seem to have put more thought into it. I like the Penny Dreadful title as it relates to a popular trend at that time. I do think Josh Hartnett' s character seems misplaced but he resembles the American in Bram Stokers' Dracula and US audiences need someone to relate too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/12/penny-dreadful-premiere-delivers-1-44-million-viewers-on-showtime/263233/
    Penny Dreadful premieres to high ratings. Showtime don't hang around when it comes to renewals, so i expect a second season renewal very soon.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just watched the second episode and it is wonderful. My heart was beating fast and the end was a shocker. Billie Piper made her appearance with a Belfast accent. Most of her scenes were with Josh Hartnett who again had nothing much to do. He really is the weak link. Eva Green is a fantastic actress: she puts everything into her performance and grabs you like no other. Everyone else is putting in this intense performance and nothing much is coming out from Josh. Real quality tv which is so different from the bland that is usually put out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore Eva Green. If anything, she was the main draw to this show. She always puts 100 per cent into her performances and is quite underrated.
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying it so far. The end of episode 2 was...:o:(