Options

The Real 1000th Number one

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Although Elvis Presley claimed the official title of 1000th number one single, this was largely due to cheating, chart technicalities and basically counting the same record twice!

This week, U2's single became the 999th different single to achieve number one status, therefore the next non-Elvis track to hit the top will be the 1000th.

Now, I know the history books will show the official position, but I feel this is no less an achievement and should be accorded thus.

Comments

• Options
    sidekick67sidekick67 Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed !!!

Although there are other cases of records which have been number one twice - eg Bohemian Rhapsody and some songs which had fallen down the charts and then went back to number 1 - so U2 may not even be 999 but I agree a record should only count as a Number 1 on one occasion.

S.
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think some songs in the early days of the charts went to number 1 a few times, i'm sure someone somewhere has the real figure :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sidekick67 wrote:
    Agreed !!!

Although there are other cases of records which have been number one twice - eg Bohemian Rhapsody and some songs which had fallen down the charts and then went back to number 1 - so U2 may not even be 999 but I agree a record should only count as a Number 1 on one occasion.

S.

Just to clarify that Bohemian Rhapsody is classed as two different releases. The 1st time around it was an a and b side. A side being Bohemian Rhapsody and B side being I'm In Love With My Car. 2nd release the single is classed as a double A side with Bohemian Rhapsody/ These are The Days Of Our Lives. That's why it is classed as two seperate releases.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about tracks that sample other number 1 singles, do they class as new number ones
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, same as cover versions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sidekick67 wrote:
    Agreed !!!

S.

U2 is the 999th - I have kept a record of this for years (okay, sad I know!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    micksea241 wrote:
    Just to clarify that Bohemian Rhapsody is classed as two different releases. The 1st time around it was an a and b side. A side being Bohemian Rhapsody and B side being I'm In Love With My Car. 2nd release the single is classed as a double A side with Bohemian Rhapsody/ These are The Days Of Our Lives. That's why it is classed as two seperate releases.

As I said, a technicality - no one gave a fig what the second track on either release was - on both occasions the number one was "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen.

So although it was two separate releases it's the same recording of the same song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Sometimes you can't make it on your own is my current favourite song and truly deserves to be number 1. Here's hoping it stays there next week! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sumner7 wrote:
    Sometimes you can't make it on your own is my current favourite song and truly deserves to be number 1. Here's hoping it stays there next week! :D

Granted its better than anything else in the top 5 at the moment (not difficult admittedly).

But it just washed over me - it's a standard U2 number and nothing special IMO.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who really cares? It's not as if the 1000th number one automatically means the song is any better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    Who really cares? It's not as if the 1000th number one automatically means the song is any better.
    You may be proved right by that as it looks as though it could be that awful JLo single.
  • Options
    presshardypresshardy Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trash80 wrote:
    i think some songs in the early days of the charts went to number 1 a few times, ...

yeah you have
    i believe by frankie laine
    answer me by david whitfield
    i see the moon by stargazers
    hold my hand by don cornell
    finger of suspicion by dickie valentine
    mambo italiano by rosemary clooney
    rock around the clock by bill haley and his comets
    i could go on ...but i won't
    this only takes us to 1956 (the charts were started in november 1952 by NME)

U2 is the 999th - I have kept a record of this for years (okay, sad I know!)

really?? which other songs were disqualified then? somehow i dont see it personally. in light of the above information, please advise how the charts without the "no double number ones" stipulation sited elvis as the 1000th and you work out that u2 is 999th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit spoke too soon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    presshardy wrote:

really?? which other songs were disqualified then? somehow i dont see it personally. in light of the above information, please advise how the charts without the "no double number ones" stipulation sited elvis as the 1000th and you work out that u2 is 999th

To get to the official 1000th number one, they counted "Bohemian Rhapsody", "My Sweet Lord", "Jailhouse Rock" and "One Night" twice.

So strictly speaking when "One Night" was declared official 1000th number one there had only been 996 different singles reach this position.

The official number is only reached because of technicalities like different b-sides or new catalogue numbers which quite frankly no one gives a fig about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get to the official 1000th number one, they counted "Bohemian Rhapsody", "My Sweet Lord", "Jailhouse Rock" and "One Night" twice.

So strictly speaking when "One Night" was declared official 1000th number one there had only been 996 different singles reach this position.

The official number is only reached because of technicalities like different b-sides or new catalogue numbers which quite frankly no one gives a fig about.

they also counted the other ones i mentioned twice didnt they?

edit ok i looked it up and they didnt :o
    http://www.everyhit.com/number.html

its all about catalogue numbers apparently