Options

Going from a 5"+ to a smaller one...

ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi.

Has anyone done this? I've got a Galaxy Note 1, but approaching 2 years with it now. It's got progressively laggy over the years, going from GB to ICS then JB. Having recently bought a Tab 3 8.0 for my surfing needs, I'm hankering for something smaller in a mobile and more one-handed use this time around.

I'm thinking about the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini. I've played with it in store and it's pretty fast. Appreciate it doesn't have the specs of its bigger brother, but think it will suffice. But just hoping that I can get used to the smaller screen for more basic phone functions.

Has anyone done a downsize like this and regretted it? Anyone also got any opinions on the S4 mini?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider an xperia z1 compact instead, almost as good as the bigger model by all accounts.

Went from a note 2 to nexus 4. The n2 was a little unwieldy but in that case was probably the better device. For one handed use though the 4.7" of the n4 (probably less realistically with the on screen buttons) is probably as big as you would want to go. The galaxy s2 with its 4.3" was a very happy medium for one handed use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Install a custom rom to your Note, mine was transformed when I did it, and wife's too.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went from the original note to the S4 which was a bit smaller. It was ok. Then I went from the S4 to the iPhone 5S and quickly went to the note 3.After 28 days amongst other things I realised that the iPhone was way too small.
  • Options
    rcmaccrcmacc Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I've gone from an s2 to an s4 and a company s2 for work use, the s4 is faster brighter bigger but I think it's just a little too big for me - when it's in my pocket I have trouble bending :p

My oh has the s4 mini and comparing them both, my s4 may have a better CPU and screen resolution but in daily use her mini is just as good- just a better size.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I would go for an S4 mini or Z1 compact tbh. I use a Nexus 5, had an iPhone before and whilst I wouldn't swap back I do like the smaller screen devices as they're more compact and feel easier to carry round in your pocket.
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would check with the missus to make sure she is happy with the new size OP :)
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Just could not go back from my Note 3 now.

It's the perfect screen size in my opinion.
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    I would check with the missus to make sure she is happy with the new size OP :)

It's not the size that matters! :p

Well on this occasion, it is about the size of the phone and the bugginess. Can't be asked to install new ROMs etc. Just something lighter in the pocket, and which doesn't create a huge bulk. Even bending down to tie laces up with the Note in the pocket, requires its removal. Thr Sony does look good, but at a premium. Bit of a Samsung ****, but key concerns (apart from screen real estate loss), is missing out on the the notification light of the S4, plus only 8gb internal memory. Just worried about not being able to transfer apps to the external card. Or did Samsung fix that?
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the Moto X. It has a 4.7" 720p screen in only a very slightly bigger package than the S4 mini.

I went from the Note to the Galaxy Nexus then Nexus 5 then Ativ S. For me the 4.7" to 5" device is ideal. My missus still uses the Note though but she is looking for something smaller. Which, as it is a black Note, proves there is going back.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Have a look at the Moto X. It has a 4.7" 720p screen in only a very slightly bigger package than the S4 mini.

I went from the Note to the Galaxy Nexus then Nexus 5 then Ativ S. For me the 4.7" to 5" device is ideal. My missus still uses the Note though but she is looking for something smaller. Which, as it is a black Note, proves there is going back.

What's the difference between a black and white note :confused: