Ovivo is dead

Comments

• jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a guy on Radio 1 yesterday moaning when he lost his broadband at home and couldn't Tweet or use Facebook for a few days.

Still, at least he spoke to the BBC instead of jumping under a train!
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think everyone's mobile and home broadband services should be subject to infrequent, unpredictable cut-offs for periods of say 48 to 72 hours.

Might help people acquire a bit of perspective...
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    binary wrote: »
    I think everyone's mobile and home broadband services should be subject to infrequent, unpredictable cut-offs for periods of say 48 to 72 hours.

Might help people acquire a bit of perspective...

That's fine, if I can stop paying 40 quid a month for it now and instead pay nothing for a period of up to 3 years before it is turned off.

If I can't do that, then I'll continue to hope that the reliability is as good as it ever has been. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. If your phone is crucial for a personal or business requirement, then perhaps you should prepare for the eventuality that it will break or (if it's a "too good to be true" thing like Ovivo) it getting shut down. But the people who sign up to cheap crappy brands like Ovivo and Giffgaff and then claim that they've lost business have no sympathy from me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giffgaff is pretty safe I'd say. If O2 decides to ditch it, they'll move everyone over to a 'proper' O2 account.

Ovivo was risky. I believe Samba is another one to be wary of, but I will just use it for as long as it exists and not worry too much if it ends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Giffgaff is pretty safe I'd say. If O2 decides to ditch it, they'll move everyone over to a 'proper' O2 account.

Ovivo was risky. I believe Samba is another one to be wary of, but I will just use it for as long as it exists and not worry too much if it ends.

A good point, although I was really thinking of network reliability, where Giffgaff (and to a lesser extent O2 itself) have shown not to be very good at getting the hang of it. At least Giffgaff is getting regular income from all of their customers, they're just a bit cheaper than O2 are doing it directly.

The problem is that some people really did seem to use Ovivo as their main service (I'd be pretty horrified if they were using it for critical business purposes) and are now whinging because the party has come to an end.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    But the people who sign up to cheap crappy brands like Ovivo and Giffgaff and then claim that they've lost business have no sympathy from me.

This really annoys me too when you see them complaining on the forums and demanding compensation. I saw one poster on this forum commenting on the EE outage this week saying he was going to ring up and put a rocket up their arse and demand compensation for his loss of business as he relies on his phone for work (not on a business tariff).

If he and everyone on Giffgaff / Ovivo read the contract they clearly state they are not responsible under the terms of the contract for consequential losses. You would think if the phone was so essential that an outage could leave you out of pocket that you would have some backup / alternative or not go with one of the cheapest PAYG services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I haven't read giffgaff's contract but you're right. Three's PAYG contract has written into it terms for them cancelling the agreement with you, they cannot cancel immediately unlike Ovivo, unless (I'm working from memory from what I read the other night):

You're causing immediate harm to the network
    You make threatening or harmful communications to their staff
    illegal communications or abuse of the 999 service

If they just want to cease service they have to give 30 days notice to you otherwise they would be in breach of contract. Ovivo had an immediate cancellation by either party with no reason required and no consequences attached.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    This really annoys me too when you see them complaining on the forums and demanding compensation. I saw one poster on this forum commenting on the EE outage this week saying he was going to ring up and put a rocket up their arse and demand compensation for his loss of business as he relies on his phone for work (not on a business tariff).

If he and everyone on Giffgaff / Ovivo read the contract they clearly state they are not responsible under the terms of the contract for consequential losses. You would think if the phone was so essential that an outage could leave you out of pocket that you would have some backup / alternative or not go with one of the cheapest PAYG services.

Totally agree. Any business should be able to afford a backup, even if it's a cheap and nasty 5 pound Nokia with a random PAYG SIM. At least on business landline tariffs you can easily get calls diverted when it fails (and the chances of a network such as BT's failing so catastrophically as to stop that from working seems almost unthinkable), perhaps a business so reliant on a mobile phone should get a non-geographical number that can be diverted as necessary and have more than one phone on separate networks (including a nice business one with an SLA, if you can get one).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect that someone will do some proper investigating and find out what really happened with Ovivo.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect that someone will do some proper investigating and find out what really happened with Ovivo.

There was an article posted here the other day. Did you see it, or you you being sceptical?

I used Ovivo as a backup for whenever Three becomes unavailable, I used to carry the SIM around in my wallet. As of now I only have a Three SIM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't you believe the story about them withholding money for many months from the company they have the MVNO agreement with (not Vodafone, but the middleman) due to that company not providing the tracking software they agreed to provide, and then because of a period of non payment the middle company cut them off.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Maybe this belongs elsewhere but as now Ovivo are gone,where should I go ?
    I have a dual sim phone (non smart) and have topped up £5 on the T-Mobile (EE) payg sim but calls are pricey.
    I'm a light user and would typically only use 90 -120 mins and say 50 texts.
    I don't want a contract so what is the best deal out there for the likes of me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lebara any good ?
  • duffman25duffman25 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family mobile is good for light users cheap calls and texts
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Maybe this belongs elsewhere but as now Ovivo are gone,where should I go ?
    I have a dual sim phone (non smart) and have topped up £5 on the T-Mobile (EE) payg sim but calls are pricey.
    I'm a light user and would typically only use 90 -120 mins and say 50 texts.
    I don't want a contract so what is the best deal out there for the likes of me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lebara any good ?

The People's Operator? They offer truly unlimited data, calls and texts, for £15 a month. They use the EE network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly unlimited data?

What's this then? http://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/Fair-Usage-Policy#pm
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine and the OH Ovivo numbers ported over to our new 3-2-1 sims this morning so were happy now.

So for me Ovivo is truly dead and the mourning period is over.:D

It was such a brief period we knew each other but you will be in my memory forever to never to be forgotten and I will think back to the days of free phone calls and text with a smile on my face even though you caused such pain with your slow data speeds.

R.I.P Ovivo 2012 – 2014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly unlimited data?

What's this then? http://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/Fair-Usage-Policy#pm

What needs to be remembering is the communist are not in favour at the moment with their warmongering so I would give The Peoples Network a wide berth.:D

Just for those who don’t understand what a :D is, this is a joke.;-)
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone said above you get £10 for porting in your number to three payg, is that a special offer??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Someone said above you get £10 for porting in your number to three payg, is that a special offer??

You used to going back a few years ago but I don’t think they do now and I ported 2 numbers today and nothing and not expecting anything.

There is also rumours going around that 3 give you hundreds of free texts for porting and this is untrue too.

If I get any of these things the next few days I’ll let you know but I’m not holding out any hope of this.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you do get 150mb of internet free when you topup £10 (30 day expiry)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The minimum top up is £5. Does that also get you 150MB? I always thought it did, so I'd recommend doing lots of £5 top ups than one single £10/15/20 topup!

A bit more hassle, but I didn't think it expired either?
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    The minimum top up is £5. Does that also get you 150MB? I always thought it did, so I'd recommend doing lots of £5 top ups than one single £10/15/20 topup!

cant see a link on three's website stating that yiu can do a minimum topup of just £5. £10 seems to be the minimum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows how long it's been since I did a top up then. I'm sure you could do £5 at one point.

Okay, scratch that idea then. :)
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member

Shows how long it's been since I did a top up then. I'm sure you could do £5 at one point.

Okay, scratch that idea then. :)

You can definitely do it with a £5 top up online, I did it for someone recently and they got the 150MB free (it does have an expiry now, of 30 days).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you put on credit, which earns you 150MB of free data, then buy an add-on for 30 days, does the 150MB expire within that time or does the 30 days start from when the add-on finishes?