Vodafone and O2 4G experience thread

Comments

• M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had voda 4G 800 signal from 15 miles away (Whitstable to a cell in Rainham) I use network signal info which shows cell ids. There probably is a live site or two which hasn't been put on the map yet but yes range on 800 is impressive
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M1kos wrote: »
    I had voda 4G 800 signal from 15 miles away (Whitstable to a cell in Rainham) I use network signal info which shows cell ids. There probably is a live site or two which hasn't been put on the map yet but yes range on 800 is impressive

Not really sure why this is surprising it's about the same range as 2G 900MHz and it's always been the case that 2G on Vodafone and O2 was brilliant for range and indoor coverage.
  • M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True you used to be able to make a call back in the day on analogue etacs outside eastenders beer place in calais 20+miles from the Dover cell
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Not really sure why this is surprising it's about the same range as 2G 900MHz and it's always been the case that 2G on Vodafone and O2 was brilliant for range and indoor coverage.

In an old people's home this lunchtime I used my Moto G to scan for networks, nothing on 3G or 2G - O2, Voda, EE and Three all outside - EE has 4G outside.

But thanks to 700mhz, O2 and Voda had 4G indoors. Sadly I don't have a Voda 4G enabled SIM to test if it was usable.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to upgrade my phone again with vodafone. Had considered a 4g plan but as the 3g is hit and miss to say the least Ive decided against forking out for something Im unlikely to ever get the use of.
  • sammy_boysammy_boy Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    M1kos wrote: »

Slightly off topic but how did you get that app to show what frequency you were connected to? I've installed the free version of it and it's not showing that info.

More on topic, O2's 4G signal has improved massively in the Derby area where I work in the last couple of months. Decent speeds but they're still doing work on masts in the area. Still a few miles off where I live in Lichfield though currently.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    sammy_boy wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but how did you get that app to show what frequency you were connected to? I've installed the free version of it and it's not showing that info.

More on topic, O2's 4G signal has improved massively in the Derby area where I work in the last couple of months. Decent speeds but they're still doing work on masts in the area. Still a few miles off where I live in Lichfield though currently.

Vodafone only use 800 spectrum. Its not the app that shows it.

Tbh, apps like those can be quote inaccurate at times so I wouldnt trust them 100%.

(Voda have 2600 as well but likely not deployed in the area the op lives)
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Just about to upgrade my phone again with vodafone. Had considered a 4g plan but as the 3g is hit and miss to say the least Ive decided against forking out for something Im unlikely to ever get the use of.

The Vodafone 4G service is in a completely different league to the 3G service in my experience. If you have coverage, you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Been using Vodafone 4G sim the last few days as my EE phone was nicked. Not impressed, even though the local transmitter is far closer than EE's I only get Edge in my house where as I get 2 Bars, 30Mbps 4G on EE. When on Vodafone 4G I'm only seeing 8-10 down and a few up. So EE 3G speeds... Seems to be the same deal elsewhere in London & Edinburgh.. Yes I get occasional 20+ speeds but rarely and let's not talk about the 3G coverage when you leave the cities. Vodafone REALLY need to pull their finger out. Strangely in Edinburgh O2 & Vodafone don't seem that well integrated at each site, especially with 4G.
  • andyukguyandyukguy Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Are you saying you are commonly seeing Edge in London on Vodafone or slower speeds than expected?
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    To be fair, EDGE is picked up in London more than you'd think...
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    EDGE on Vodafone is slower than GPRS lol
  • maverickjesusmaverickjesus Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    So Vodafone's closer, 800mhz transmitter gives no 4G but an EE transmitter on a much higher frequency, further away, does?
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    To be fair, EDGE is picked up in London more than you'd think...

Mind you they get most things good in London compared with the rest of us in the UK.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    There are a load of basement-level restaurants in London where only EDGE is available. I thought more 900MHz 3G would have been rolled out but I guess not.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Vodafone's closer, 800mhz transmitter gives no 4G but an EE transmitter on a much higher frequency, further away, does?

On Three, my phone will swap from 4G to 3G quite a bit (and back if there's no data flow) and unless I'm upstairs, it will favour 3G.

EE, presumably from the same transmitter but perhaps a bit higher or lower, seems to favour 4G almost all the time.

O2 can offer reasonable 4G speeds and according to the maps, I'm covered all over by good indoor coverage. However, it seems to favour 2G over 3G and 4G. I might be on 4G for a while, but once it drops to 2G it NEVER goes back!

I'm currently without a Vodafone 4G SIM card to see how that might have changed, but when I last had one - it was just like O2. Good 4G but then 2G and stuck on EDGE or even GPRS.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    When i was last inn London i ran about half a dozen speed tests on vodafone 4g in different areas.

All were well over 30mb dl highest was just over 60mb
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    O2 can offer reasonable 4G speeds and according to the maps, I'm covered all over by good indoor coverage. However, it seems to favour 2G over 3G and 4G. I might be on 4G for a while, but once it drops to 2G it NEVER goes back!

I'm currently without a Vodafone 4G SIM card to see how that might have changed, but when I last had one - it was just like O2. Good 4G but then 2G and stuck on EDGE or even GPRS.

Can't you disable 2G? Or does that leave you with no signal?
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member

Yup, although the EE mast is a proper 30m high multi site and the Voda site is basically a lamp post job (13m). EE mast is 1.5 miles away and Voda mast is 0.5...

To make matters a little more bizarre, there is a Voda/O2 4G mast operating on that same tower as EE..

Edge is seen quite often in London.. Far more often than one would think and expect. That's not to say 4G coverage is poor, it isn't within M25.
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »

I've seen this for years with O2 and Vodafone and assumed they'd biased the SIMs so that phones selected 2G in preference to anything else - to ensure voice coverage is everywhere? Instead of letting the handset make its own determination. Rebooting (airplane mode toggle) often allowed phone to rediscover a strong 3G signal.

(e.g. outdoors near the mast!).
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, although the EE mast is a proper 30m high multi site and the Voda site is basically a lamp post job (13m). EE mast is 1.5 miles away and Voda mast is 0.5...

To make matters a little more bizarre, there is a Voda/O2 4G mast operating on that same tower as EE..

Edge is seen quite often in London.. Far more often than one would think and expect. That's not to say 4G coverage is poor, it isn't within M25.

Assume Edge is seen so often because of the amount of masts in London ?
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in the sticks and recently switched to O2 from EE, On EE I used to get 4G 80% of the time, I've yet to see O2 4G but not only that, H+ speed on O2 is 2mb at best, on EE it was 12mb+
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I live in the sticks and recently switched to O2 from EE, On EE I used to get 4G 80% of the time, I've yet to see O2 4G but not only that, H+ speed on O2 is 2mb at best, on EE it was 12mb+

What made you switch in the first place?

Presumably you didn't get a free SIM from O2 before you switched to test the network?
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member

That pretty much sums up O2 in my experience, though I do have some O2 4G around me, unfortunately it's normally slower than 3G on either EE or Three.
    Forum Member
    You switched to one of the two SLOW networks. Hope it was massively cheaper, or I would be returning/cancelling under 14 day money back and going back to EE or Three.
This discussion has been closed.