Edwardian Farm BBC2 - for all the fans of Victorian Farm

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
Forum Member
✭✭
Hiya

Just a heads up...

In next week's Radio Times, there's a small piece saying that the team behind Tales From the Green Valley and Victorian Farm are embarking on a new series, called Edwardian Farm.

It will be 12 1 hour shows in the same vain as the previous series showing life on an Edwardian Farm and advances in technology and daily life. If it's as good as the previous 2 series we're in for a treat:)

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm...

I enjoyed the first series, but farming didn't move on a great deal in Edwardian times, even as late as 1939 there were few tractors on farms in this country. Looks like they are milking the idea a bit.

I s'pose we'll see some steam powered farm machinery.
    But all that's been done on BBC4.

It's hardly an "innovative idea" is it? What comes after Edwardian?
    Still if it's one of the 400 plus BBC "suits" on only over £100K p.a. who thought this up, we can't complain, we shouldn't expect too much for our money, or should we?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm...

I enjoyed the first series, but farming didn't move on a great deal in Edwardian times, even as late as 1939 there were few tractors on farms in this country. Looks like they are milking the idea a bit.

Leaving out your almost obligatory use of the "suits on £100k" paragraph (you must be proud of it as you seem to use it quite a bit), this is taken from the Press Release and might go some way in explaining what they will be doing this time:
    "Edwardian Farm will bring with it a different set of challenges which I am sure will prove every bit as stimulating and inspiring as Victorian Farm."

They will make their home in a stunning new location, exploring the challenges posed by the British countryside at a time of great change and tumult; a time when farming was becoming increasingly mechanised at home, and abroad the world was moving gradually towards war.

As in the first series, the action will be based primarily on the farm, but the new setting will also allow the team to explore wider aspects of the working countryside, including rivers and coasts, boat-building, mining, fishing and market gardening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/07_july/16/edwardian.shtml
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Leaving out your almost obligatory use of the "suits on £100k" paragraph (you must be proud of it as you seem to use it quite a bit), this is taken from the Press Release and might go some way in explaining what they will be doing this time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/07_july/16/edwardian.shtml

Err...

How often I refer to the top heavy management of the BBC and the ever decreasing standard of the programmes in a post is my business. It's also a fact. Seems you're reading a lot of my posts.

You're welcome to your own opinion on any programme it matters little to me. Why you bothered to take me up on it I don't know.
    But hang on! You've always got something to say, you've posted 38 messages for every one of mine in the same number of year's so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err...

How often I refer to the top heavy management of the BBC and the ever decreasing standard of the programmes in a post is my business.
    Not necessarily so if you post it on a public forum.
    It's also a fact.
    It is? Please provide the proof with links then, as I would like to learn more.
    Seems you're reading a lot of my posts.
    Not at all - that phrase is rather unique amongst phrases used on these forums, it sticks in my mind as being one of those "soundbite phrases" that sounds oh so good but adds little to the discussion.

Oh yes, the discussion ..... referring to that extract I posted, do you agree that, this time, they are seemingly doing some additional things which are different from what they have done previously?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily so if you post it on a public forum.

It is? Please provide the proof with links then, as I would like to learn more.

Not at all - that phrase is rather unique amongst phrases used on these forums, it sticks in my mind as being one of those "soundbite phrases" that sounds oh so good but adds little to the discussion.

Oh yes, the discussion ..... referring to that extract I posted, do you agree that, this time, they are seemingly doing some additional things which are different from what they have done previously?

I'd have put money on you coming back again.

I'll repeat, what I say on a public forum is my business and not yours as long as it is within the board rules. I'm not interested in what you think about my opinions and I can live with you being not interested in mine.

You seem to be one of these people who can't "separate post from poster."

All you've done, with your search for information about it, is proved my original point. Edwardian farming was very little different to Victorian farming, so to make a watchable programme they've had to make the remit much wider and include stuff which has little to do with actual workings on a farm. This might make it a watchable programme, otherwise they'd have been going over much of the old ground.
    So it won't be exclusively "Edwardian Farm" will it?
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w15jc

Archaeologists Alex and Peter and historian Ruth attempt to bring Morwellham Quay in Devon back to life as it was in its Edwardian heyday.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Victorian Farm, I'm looking forward to this. I'm especially interested in the domestic stuff - I like Ruth a lot, and the cooking and sewing history is right up my alley.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    They'd have the war to deal with and the lack of food.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Oh goody if it's anything like Victorian farm this is going to be good value.
    Anyone who's seen this before is the Italian chap who teaches sewing, back again, he's very good value when teamed up with Ruth :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have put money on you coming back again.

I'll repeat, what I say on a public forum is my business and not yours as long as it is within the board rules. I'm not interested in what you think about my opinions and I can live with you being not interested in mine.

You seem to be one of these people who can't "separate post from poster."

All you've done, with your search for information about it, is proved my original point. Edwardian farming was very little different to Victorian farming, so to make a watchable programme they've had to make the remit much wider and include stuff which has little to do with actual workings on a farm. This might make it a watchable programme, otherwise they'd have been going over much of the old ground.
    So it won't be exclusively "Edwardian Farm" will it?

You're both insane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a fan and watching now. So much better than the copies it has spawned.
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    They'd have the war to deal with and the lack of food.

The First World War didn't happen until George the 5th was king so it isn't an Edwardian event.

The only thing that seems inaccurate to me about these re-enactments is that most women would have had a clutch of children to look after as well as doing the housework etc.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Anyone seen the second episode yet? Very enjoyable so far, much better than The Victorian Farm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Anyone seen the second episode yet? Very enjoyable so far, much better than The Victorian Farm.

Yes .loved it !! So much so said to o/half at the end I don't want to wait another week.Finding it so interesting from the farming aspect, domestic stuff , talk about hard labour ! Also helps it's set in the most lovely place and the 3 main workers are so amiable ( I'd be half wary about watching any outakes in case they all hate each other and spent all the time swearing !) Already counting down til next week.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloud9 wrote: »
    Yes .loved it !! So much so said to o/half at the end I don't want to wait another week.Finding it so interesting from the farming aspect, domestic stuff , talk about hard labour ! Also helps it's set in the most lovely place and the 3 main workers are so amiable ( I'd be half wary about watching any outakes in case they all hate each other and spent all the time swearing !) Already counting down til next week.

I've not watched last night's yet but it's recorded!!

I think that's part of the appeal for me, it is an interesting subject and the three of them really do seem to work well together.

I'm sure the cracks would have started to show by now if it was all put on for the cameras! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Ginn has lost weight since they filmed the Victorian farm.
    The Edwardian era is my favorite period in history but I'm not sure that I would have wanted to have lived then, the very thought of plucking a chicken and pulling it's insides out turns my stomach!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed the second episode. Can anyone tell me if it is repeated or will I have to resort to IPlayer (which I'm not so keen on). Thanks
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    I downloaded the both episodes, even downloaded Iplayer files aren't much copp for me.
    I really wasn't paying attention to the second one and want to watch it again.
    Forum Member
    On February 14th 2011 you could buy it on DVD? :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwardian-Farm-DVD/dp/B0045ZIY90
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Edwardian Farm. Certainly it's a little more superficial than the previous series but still well researched and presented.

Incidentally I've visited the foundry that was featured in last weeks episode. It's kept by the national trust and is in mid devon at a place called Sticklepath. Hardly a short walk from the Tamar but it's the only left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that I am missing Mr Acton!
    Forum Member
    I find that I am missing Mr Acton!

You're not the only one, I rather liked Old Mr Acton, found him good value, plus the landowner/tenant relationship added another dimension.
    Forum Member
    Is anyone still watching this? After a good start it seemed to go downhill after a few episodes and the producers somehow managed to make it rather dull viewing (despite trying to 'enhance' it with even more incredibly annoying and totally unsuitable background music).
    Forum Member
    I'm still watching, taped tonight's offering, watch it later.