Live at home? how much rent do you pay?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each according to their income, I paid half of my dole (years ago).

£25:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not been charging at all - but then my daughter has been saving to do an unfunded Msc so there didn't seem much point. .

Im saving for uni, Not even half way there.:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    That would get you a good sized flat to rent here. A four bedroomed house is £600.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blimey! I rent a 3 bed house for £330 per month and a friend of mine rents a one bed flat for £33 per week, I live in north of Scotland.

Maybe I should move there. Would cost over a thousand down south.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow

You could rent a 15 bedroom mansion and an abandoned military hospital for that near the Turkmenistan/Iranian border
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Im saving for uni, Not even half way there.:D

50-80 quid a week food and spending. Plus accommodation. Plus tuition fees. It's a fair wack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Eldest son may be coming home at end of the month to stay. Won't be taking a penny off him. At the end of the day this is his home. I would rather he kept his money and saved for his future.
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on how much your earn I guess.

My parents would let me pay them £100 a month. But even then I had to force them to take it.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Eldest son may be coming home at end of the month to stay. Won't be taking a penny off him. At the end of the day this is his home. I would rather he kept his money and saved for his future.

My parents helped me out many times.

I always paid board though, they probably couldn't trust me to save and not blow the stuff on booze, **** and fancy dresses.

They weren't wrong.:o
    Forum Member
    My parents helped me out many times.

I always paid board though, they probably couldn't trust me to save and not blow the stuff on booze, **** and fancy dresses.

They weren't wrong.:o

Lol. :D
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not been charging at all - but then my daughter has been saving to do an unfunded Msc so there didn't seem much point. .

I feel quite mean now :( but she gets about £150 a week and as I have another one coming very close behind her, felt she should pay something towards her keep. I do think it's hard taking money from your kids though even if they are technically adults.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lastlaugh wrote: »
    Depends on how much your earn I guess.

My parents would let me pay them £100 a month. But even then I had to force them to take it.

My mother would do that if she could, but she is on a very low income which means she can only pay utility bills, She uses my money to buy food and drink. My father pays the actual rent and gives her £50 a week which also helps. He is on double my wage but he has debts. This is one of the reasons I cannot leave home at the moment even if I wanted to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel quite mean now :( but she gets about £150 a week and as I have another one coming very close behind her, felt she should pay something towards her keep. I do think it's hard taking money from your kids though even if they are technically adults.

Get them to set up an automatic payment from their bank account. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's okay if you can afford it but is it not also important that they know they have to pay their way in the world? My SIL didn't take anything from her oldest so then couldn't take anything from her other kids and ended up in a mountain of debt while they swanned about without a care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we first met (me & OH) he paid £50 a week, **** knows what it went on, as the odd times I stayed over, I brought my own toilet roll, coffee and toothpaste!, And we're talking over 10 year ago! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get them to set up an automatic payment from their bank account. :D

That's actually not a bad idea...it would save a lot of awkwardness!
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's actually not a bad idea...it would save a lot of awkwardness!

It would.

I don't see it as awkward at all though, for me. It's behaving with respect and responsibility, and not like a grabby kid.
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother would do that if she could, but she is on a very low income which means she can only pay utility bills, She uses my money to buy food and drink. My father pays the actual rent and gives her £50 a week which also helps. He is on double my wage but he has debts. This is one of the reasons I cannot leave home at the moment even if I wanted to.

Oh of course, I didn't mean it like that. I know I was very lucky especially as only my dad works so it isn't like they couldn't have done with the money!

I just think they didn't like taking money off me. I think the direct debit way would have been much easier all round lol!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lastlaugh wrote: »
    Oh of course, I didn't mean it like that. I know I was very lucky especially as only my dad works so it isn't like they couldn't have done with the money!

I just think they didn't like taking money off me. I think the direct debit way would have been much easier all round lol!

I did not take it like that.:p

Yeah my mum could never think of a good way of asking for the money.;)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live at home, and have worked out that I pay around £370 per month for rent. Is this around average?

It would depend on how much you earn.

My kids paid one third.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You shouldn't. If my daughter wasn't saving for Uni I'd definitely have some money from her to cover Council Tax and the extra food.
    Forum Member
    I think that's okay if you can afford it but is it not also important that they know they have to pay their way in the world? My SIL didn't take anything from her oldest so then couldn't take anything from her other kids and ended up in a mountain of debt while they swanned about without a care.

Lol my son has been away to University and for the past few years has been out in South Korea teaching English. He has seen things that no-one should see. He knows what it is like to be dirt poor as he has seen it for himself in S.K. I mean really dirt poor not UK dirt poor.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay my parents £140 a month so that's not too bad I guess, they argue over it tbh, my mum says it will teach me about paying rent whereas my dad think it's a waste of my savings and I shouldn't have to learn about that stuff until I get my own place. So it's a pretty touchy subject!
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £00.00.

My mum's too generous :/
    Forum Member
    £00.00.

My mum's too generous :/

Nope she loves you and wants the best for you. No offence meant to anybody else on this thread. :o