Options

Ovivo - Any good?

ArchiexArchiex Posts: 219
Forum Member
With giffgafff at the moment and using the £5 goodybag giving me 60mins (plus 1 min for each 1min incoming call) 200 texts.

Thinking of swapping over to Ovivo freedom (£0) currently at 150 mins, 250 texts and 500mb. This costs £20 but gives you £15 credit and costs nothing.

I never go over my allowance with giffgaff so am unlikely to do so with Ovivo. It doesn't work out cheaper as I usually post a little on giffgaff boards meaning I cover the cost of the sim via payback.

the advantage of swapping means no more having to worry about posting or sorting out the top up side of things. But I want to know are Ovivo actually any good? Looked around and some say yes but some say nooooo!!! Anyone with personal experience?

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Yes Ovivo are very good. Been using them as backup and can't fault.

They use Vodafone so if you get Vodafone signal it's a no brainer. Only thing i've found annoying is that the internet can be slow at times, but then i rarely use this SIM for internet so can't complain.

The deal every month is great. The £20 start up fee is a bit much if you're a low user though. I know you get £15 back but i got it when the price was a lot cheaper. The good thing is that the £15 allowance can be used for out of allowance stuff like 0845 etc...
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Archiex wrote: »
    But I want to know are Ovivo actually any good? Looked around and some say yes but some say nooooo!!! Anyone with personal experience?
    Depends a lot on what you are looking for and how good Vodafone are at that thing where you live!

For example, in my area Vodafone are great at a 2G signal and c**p at 3G (both coverage and speed!) - so Ovivo should be of little interest to any smartphone owners around here!
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’d say what jabbamk1 says is about right as I’ve been with them for over a year now.

I paid a tenner for mine and the OH so have got my money back over and over and I still have my tenner all but 36p that I use for testing my phones MMS.

Trouble is spending £20 for a sim is a bit of a gamble as they could be gone tomorrow. Not saying they are, but I believe this free lunch is just too good to be true and yet a year and half on and their still here.

What amazes me is that Vodafone 3G is so slow my phone struggles to play any of Ovivo’s adverts which bring’s me to thinking it can’t go on much longer but then other users might have better speed than me.
  • Options
    sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I paid £5 when they first started and still have the £5 on my phone
    like said on here the signal is not great but i don't mind i mainly use it to call people and its just my second phone not my main one

Its still a great price at a one off £20 as long as you keep within your allowance you don't have to topup ever again

Even if they went down tomorrow i have had my £5 worth:)

So Go For It
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Yes, my wife has one of their SIMs in her Nexus 4 and has been using it for several months now with no problems. She's not a heavy user so the freedom package is ideal.

Their customer service has also been good. I initially got a standard SIM as I had a Huawei G300 at the time. I binned that and then had to get a micro SIM for the Nexus 4. Very prompt response and the replacement quickly received by post.
  • Options
    ArchiexArchiex Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Re signal, I checked their page and it's all purple where I live saying it should work indoors and outdoors. But or course they'd say that lol. Don't know anyone on Ovivo though or vodaphone though so can't check... It's tempting though, although I have just noticed that when on the freedom pack, the free Ovivo to Ovivo calls only apply when you have used up ur minutes. Before that they come from ur minutes? that could be an issue persuading fellow giffgaffers to take the plunge. after all if was the one that got most of them onto giffgaff lol...

I'm kind of thinking re price, as long as they last four months, then I have broken even. Longer and it was worth it. Just signal issue to sort out....
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Archiex wrote: »
    With giffgafff at the moment and using the £5 goodybag giving me 60mins (plus 1 min for each 1min incoming call) 200 texts.

Thinking of swapping over to Ovivo freedom (£0) currently at 150 mins, 250 texts and 500mb. This costs £20 but gives you £15 credit and costs nothing.

I never go over my allowance with giffgaff so am unlikely to do so with Ovivo. It doesn't work out cheaper as I usually post a little on giffgaff boards meaning I cover the cost of the sim via payback.

the advantage of swapping means no more having to worry about posting or sorting out the top up side of things. But I want to know are Ovivo actually any good? Looked around and some say yes but some say nooooo!!! Anyone with personal experience?

I am looking into Ovivo and I am puzzled...
    If you're on a £zero tariff what do you do with the £15 creditit's never going to be used if you stay within your limit is it?
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I am looking into Ovivo and I am puzzled...
    If you're on a £zero tariff what do you do with the £15 creditit's never going to be used if you stay within your limit is it?

The £15 credit is for if you go over your allowance of 200m,300t and 500mb. Also if you use out of allowance things like 0845 numbers, int'l calls, premium texts and other stuff then that will also use your £15 credit.

All in all Ovivo is a very good deal for a theoretical £0 per month.
    Three is the only network that comes close to rivalling it on their 321 tariff. Plus Three have a much better network than Ovivo does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still running on my original credit, with the credit for transferring my number into the network and for the odd referral credit it just doesn't really need any more money at all.

Anybody need any more referrals? ;)
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a SIM after lots of people were recommending it (no doubt to get a referral bonus) and it works - but, boy, does it highlight just how bad the Vodafone network is if you're used to using EE or Three.

The data speeds on 3G are, frankly, awful - and I'm yet to exceed 4Mbps anywhere.. but while that's acceptable (especially when it's free), more often than not it's down to sub 1Mbps.. and that's when I'm on 3G. In more cases, I'm actually on 2G.

It's the only time I've done speed tests with ping times in the thousands.. and got results like this;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oryq7sgn381nikl/2014-01-01%2016.30.59.jpg

I do think it's an ideal SIM to get for a tablet, and the allowance has been increased to 1GB, which is great. But, I'd also rather like to have a service that actually works more often than it doesn't.

Let me point out that I've been using my SIM in mostly town centres and London, not in rural areas. Ovivo insist they don't speed cap or manage data traffic in any way, but surely Vodafone users aren't getting data that's this slow or unreliable?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve always suspected that Ovivo is capped and I’ve seen it mentioned in a few places that it’s capped at 2Mbs and this is what I have found around Bristol where I mostly use it however just the past few weeks the speeds have taken a turn for the better for me although still only at best getting 5Mbs.

I can’t complain after all it’s a free lunch not just once but every day and I’m able to leave my Smartphone’s data turned on 24/7 with all the apps that need data getting it with me having no fear of charges.

As far as calls and text goes, these are no different from any other network but free.

Long may it live but if it does go belly up I have my 3-2-1 sim at the ready.;-)
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I do think it's an ideal SIM to get for a tablet, and the allowance has been increased to 1GB, which is great. But, I'd also rather like to have a service that actually works more often than it doesn't.

Let me point out that I've been using my SIM in mostly town centres and London, not in rural areas. Ovivo insist they don't speed cap or manage data traffic in any way, but surely Vodafone users aren't getting data that's this slow or unreliable?
    I would NOT recommend Ovivo for a tablet due to all the reasons you describe! For mostly data use Samba (based on the Three network) is going to work out better for low usage in most cases. It is free but charged by watching adverts.

I am on Vodafone (in Oxfordshire) and I assure you that their 3G is truly hopeless - even for their own customers! My 12 months ends next month and I am off to either Three or EE as fast as possible!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't heard of Samba. Will go and check it out!

Update: Not sure about that. Definitely going to be a better signal, but it seems like you'll be almost constantly watching ads to earn any usable amounts of data!

I think I'd rather wait until Ovivo might one day get access to Vodafone's 4G network. So far, both Vodafone and O2's 4G experience has been pretty impressive.
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't heard of Samba. Will go and check it out!

Update: Not sure about that. Definitely going to be a better signal, but it seems like you'll be almost constantly watching ads to earn any usable amounts of data!

I think I'd rather wait until Ovivo might one day get access to Vodafone's 4G network. So far, both Vodafone and O2's 4G experience has been pretty impressive.

http://i.imgur.com/YSJKvdB.jpg

Here is data earned for my account in December. Some of it is cut off because I'm on my iPad.

Unlike Ovivo you watch adverts before you use the data and build up an allowance for use when you like. You can literally load up an advert and switch to a different tab on your browser whilst it runs. Then come back a few minutes later or whenever you like to advance to the next advert.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    been with them a year and been very good I was on £5mth giffgaff so well in profit

it must come to a end and they will have to start charging but will

ride it till it goes
  • Options
    totalwisetotalwise Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The optimist in me thinks that Vodafone are a rational organisation and they will see sense in upgrading their mobile Internet service. If they are not then we have to assume they're insane and still think the Nokia face off is making a comeback and that mobile Internet is a fad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think Vodafone and O2 would have thought about upgrading their networks to cope with the massive increase in data traffic ages ago, but it didn't happen. Well certainly not when I worked in central London, or even out in Hertfordshire where I live (in a big town, with a major university).

It's arguably happening now, with the roll out of 4G and the general upgrading of sites as this is done, but how far behind are they as a result of inaction before?

Three was obviously always going to have to spend loads on data, as it allowed itself to be a network carrying almost only data.

T-Mobile also invested a lot in data, which clearly made the MBNL deal particularly good - and Orange has benefited greatly since EE and getting access to MBNL.

I just don't know when Vodafone will be able to provide me (via Ovivo) with what I'd call a reliable and usable data service. At the current time, I can't rely on it at all. So what if it's free?
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what if it's free?

It being free should be no excuse for Vodafone. They're still paid by Ovivo for the data used by customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    It being free should be no excuse for Vodafone. They're still paid by Ovivo for the data used by customers.

True.

Here are some speed tests with the SIM in my Nexus 5;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jjb53jlxf8l6j1/2014-03-12%2017.24.56.png

Impressive huh? And that's on 3G, not 2G. On 2G, I'd get a communication error and not be able to do a test at all.

I got the Ovivo SIM originally to put in a Nexus 7 tablet. Now I've put an EE PAYG SIM in there and have decided I'll just pay £3 for 100MB ever now and then, and for any more data, just use my phone as a wireless hotspot.

What's worse is that my dad got an iPad air from my mum at Christmas, and I gave him an Ovivo SIM too so he'd have free data when out and about. He's said many times that it isn't working at all. Clearly it IS working, but the network is so poor it's effectively the same thing.
  • Options
    steffanglsteffangl Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    I think either Ovivo or Vodafone are limiting data speeds on Ovivo SIMs.

Just done a speedtest on Voda contract - 1.5meg down, 0.5meg up. Ovivo - 0.02 down/up.

There are LOTS of places where Voda 3G is completely useless, but there's definitely something else not right as even when it's working on a Voda SIM it's not on Ovivo. Might try and contact Ovivo and see what they have to say. 0.02down is unusable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovivo say they're not capped. I would say they're lying or Vodafone hadn't told them the truth!

It's awful isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steffangl wrote: »
    I think either Ovivo or Vodafone are limiting data speeds on Ovivo SIMs.

Just done a speedtest on Voda contract - 1.5meg down, 0.5meg up. Ovivo - 0.02 down/up.

There are LOTS of places where Voda 3G is completely useless, but there's definitely something else not right as even when it's working on a Voda SIM it's not on Ovivo. Might try and contact Ovivo and see what they have to say. 0.02down is unusable.
    I thought of getting onto Ovivo and telling them I can’t abide by the T&C because the network data so slow the adverts won’t run but I thought they might just cut me off so I’ll just continue with the free lunches until the day they stop.
    Ovivo say they're not capped. I would say they're lying or Vodafone hadn't told them the truth!

It's awful isn't it?

Your speeds there for Ovivo are on par with mine though a few months ago I started getting speeds up to 5Mb/s down but it did not last long and the speeds you reflect here are the day in, day out speeds on average and like seffangl says that Vodafone direct is better but only by hairs width.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even just 1 or 2Mbps would be acceptable. I have had speeds of over 5Mb, once. Was quite amazing but ultimately pointless given it's never happened since.
  • Options
    ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    i use ovivo as spare to my contract with three just done a speedtest on ovivo on a ZTE blade 3 (so max 7.2 HSDPA) and got 0.10/0.14 my cuz sat next to me direct with vodafone using a nexus 5 (DC-HSDPA) got 0.04/0.03, So to me Vodafone are really poor network weather direct or via 3rd party especially comparing to threes average of 20+ speeds

Ash
  • Options
    Mr MessyMr Messy Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Got one for an elderly relative a few months back and he hasn't had to spend a penny topping up since the initial £20 outlay . As he's a light user so now with 300 minutes a month plus the £15 credit he thinks it's great.

He doesn't have a smartphone just an old nokia so doesn't get any adverts either.