Did you get looked at when buying alcohol?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
Forum Member
I've just bought a bottle of gin and the checkout guy looked at me for at least 3 seconds and then decided to let me buy it. I am a mid-30s guy! Does that still happen to you middle aged people?

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im 39. I went to buy some vodka in the Co-Op about a year ago and they wouldn't let me purchase it as I didn't have ID.

It made my day to be honest, no matter how inconvenient it was. But my colleagues said I should have pointed out where Specsavers was.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hardly call yourself middle-aged, aged 30 something. The Challenge 25 system makes it incredibly difficult sometimes to distinguish a 25 year old to a young looking 35 year old.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big guy with a big beard, people don't look at me twice for anything.
  • MamaCassMamaCass Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Approval needed.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    A few of my colleagues ask for ID, from people that I'd never dream of asking. Everyone has a different perception of age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 37 and I've been IDd twice in the last 6 months!
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    A guy I worked with was prevented from buying a bottle of wine with a trolley load of food in m&s by a very young checkout boy. This guy is 63 with white hair :D. He was deeply unamused and insisted on speaking to a manager who also refused to sell him the wine. They only relented when he again insisted on escalating it to the next boss up and started talking about calling the papers :o:D What a total bunch of jobsworths
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mid thirties is probably middle aged for many people. I can't see my self lasting beyond 70 for example
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Not so much these days, my offie knows me too well now, so I havent been in for a month! will stop by tonight, hehe.

I still get carded in the coop for cigs and wine, so I avoid.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think they might cast a glance at my sobriety in some outlets.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd suggest they visit Specsavers if they looked at me twice when buying it.
  • MamaCassMamaCass Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    i think they might cast a glance at my sobriety in some outlets.

Why's that?
    Forum Member
    MamaCass wrote: »
    Why's that?

i`ve no interest in your baiting ways.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only in the USA.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for years probably since I turned 21 (im 27now) I think this means I have an old face:(
  • DisturbedDisturbed Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I only ever visit the local pubs, and luckily they all know i'm well over 25 so have never had any issues. The only time I was recently asked for ID was when some jobsworth (recently employed) made it their business to ask EVERYONE purchasing beer/cigs for ID.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy alcohol because i don't drink. But i do get this look (Not convinced about you) when i buy fireworks sometimes. Then when i show proof of age, "I was just protecting my job".
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got IDed last night and I gave thelady my driving licence (I was born in 1986) and she still had to spend about 5 seconds working it out!! Im 27 love
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my husband went shopping with our 20 year old son and had some wine and beer in the basket, the check-out assistant asked to see our son's ID, even though my husband said the alcohol was not for the son. He was quite annoyed, and later rang the store manager, who said he would inform check-out staff not to do that in future.
  • DisturbedDisturbed Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Enforcement of these cards I believe to just be a 'backdoor' way of encouraging the national ID legislation which Bliar tried to introduce yet everyone was against.
    As far as i'm concerned the legal age to purchase cigs is 16, and alcohol 18. Forget all this nonsense about 'looking' 25. The law is the law as it stands.
    Forum Member
    Disturbed wrote: »
    Enforcement of these cards I believe to just be a 'backdoor' way of encouraging the national ID legislation which Bliar tried to introduce yet everyone was against.
    As far as i'm concerned the legal age to purchase cigs is 16, and alcohol 18. Forget all this nonsense about 'looking' 25. The law is the law as it stands.

it`s been 18 for a few years.
  • ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it`s been 18 for a few years.

Since 2007 I think. :confused:
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Yes, but I have a sort of 1920's style tash and beard right now, so it doesn't take them long to realise this baby face is over 18 :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    ROFL.
    I said to one of the crew before when discussing the weather 'I give up with you lot. You're supposed to be more intelligent than me'.
    Just because I'm supposed to have learning difficulties (so I'm told) it doesn't make me thick, stupid or only good enough to do the most menial/dirtiest jobs where I work does it (Boss's discretion my arse! It's perfectly obvious tat the menial/dirtiest jobs're left to me just because I'm supposed to have learning difficulties and it's all I'm good for/good at. Forutanetly for them I haven't got the money and can't prove it's discrimination (But it's obvious)..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I'm a big guy with a big beard, people don't look at me twice for anything.

Oh Hello. I might ;):D