Options

Global Stereo v Bauer Mono

pjexpjex Posts: 9,401
Forum Member
I do most of my DAB listening in my car where stereo is important and mono stations sound of an inferior quality.

Very interesting that the two big radio groups have very different attitudes on DAB stereo, I can pick up the following stations on DAB in stereo in addition to the BBC;

Capital, Capital Xtra, XFM, Heart, Smooth, Classic FM all Global stations.

Yet Bauer's offerings are all mono; Kiss, Absolute, Absolute 80s, Magic, Planet Rock

We can all spend many hours debating the merits of Capital or Kiss, XFM or Absolute, Heart or Absolute 80s, Smooth or Magic. But ultimately it's all about the music quality and here Global win hands down with all their stations in stereo vs Bauer's mono offerings.

I think this commitment to stereo could really help Global win over audience from Bauer as in car listening becomes more important for DAB.

Comments

• Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    I do most of my DAB listening in my car where stereo is important and mono stations sound of an inferior quality.

Very interesting that the two big radio groups have very different attitudes on DAB stereo, I can pick up the following stations on DAB in stereo in addition to the BBC;

Yet Bauer's offerings are all mono; Kiss, Absolute, Absolute 80s, Magic, Planet Rock

We can all spend many hours debating the merits of Capital or Kiss, XFM or Absolute, Heart or Absolute 80s, Smooth or Magic. But ultimately it's all about the music quality and here Global win hands down with all their stations in stereo vs Bauer's mono offerings.

I think this commitment to stereo could really help Global win over audience from Bauer as in car listening becomes more important for DAB.

You and I notice the difference between mono and stereo, but the great unwashed don't, (any more than they can notice the difference between SD and HD TV).

In any case, the only Bauer station I can bear to listen to, Wave 105, is in stereo on DAB, so it's not all their stations :D
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's not clear in the D2 bid if Planet rock and Abs 80s move to D2 what will happen to the space left on D1?
    1 Bauer could sell the bandwidth for 2 more mono stations?
    2 the main Bauer national stations Kiss, Magic and Absolute could go stereo for the increasing number of listeners who get car stereo DAB sets?
    Absolute would be able to use stereo as an incentive to get listeners to move from mono AM and could then close AM to save money?

Moving Heat and Kisstory from local muxes could also allow City 3 (the hits) to go stereo?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    You and I notice the difference between mono and stereo, but the great unwashed don't, (any more than they can notice the difference between SD and HD TV).

In any case, the only Bauer station I can bear to listen to, Wave 105, is in stereo on DAB, so it's not all their stations :D

I understand Bauer has some local stations in stereo, none in my area, but none of it's stations are available nationally in stereo unlike most of Global's.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bauer's "1" and "2" stations are all in 128 kbps stereo on DAB.

Lack of bandwidth and capacity is a problem. There was no room to fit all the Bauer FM national DAB stations in the digital 1 mux in stereo at 128kbps.

A reshape is needed to sort out this capacity problem. Digital 2 being introduce could help, but it's no guarantee that it's the complete solution to the capacity problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »

Lack of bandwidth and capacity is a problem. There was no room to fit all the Bauer FM national DAB stations in the digital 1 mux in stereo at 128kbps.
    But if Planet rock and Abs 80s move to D2 the main Bauer national stations; Kiss, Magic and Absolute will be able to have 112k each on D1 nationally (as in London currently)
    http://www.bauermedia.co.uk/press/news/article/bauer-media-unveils-focused-commercial-radio-offering
    Bauer Radio is leading the commercial radio industry in digital, with over 50% of its listening through digital devices.
    • There are 3 key brands at the centre of the national radio growth strategy; Magic, KISS and Absolute Radio.

It could be the new Virgin and DAB+ stations might also be stereo?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand Bauer has some local stations in stereo, none in my area, but none of it's stations are available nationally in stereo unlike most of Global's.

No all of Global's stations not all available on DAB UK wide.

The local/regional Hearts which have local/regional breakfast and drivetimes are only available locally or regionally on DAB where they're being broadcast on FM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. Not all of Global's stations are available on DAB UK wide.

The local/regional Hearts which have local/regional breakfast and drivetimes are only available locally or regionally on DAB where they're being broadcast on FM.

You won't be able to hear Robin Galloway on DAB in Carlisle, Dundee, Inverness, Berwick Upon Tweed or Aberdeen e.g. from 6am to 10am
  • Options
    Forum Member

These 1 and 2 stations are local stations in a handful of areas, Global has it's national brands across the UK in stereo by utilising Digital 1 (Capital Xtra and Classic FM) and Local Muxes (Capital, Smooth, XFM).

Bauer only seems to think England consists of the North, Midlands and London.

There are actually many areas of the South which aren't London, I'm in the South but as far from London as Manchester and I'm still over 100 miles east of Lands End.

Bauer needs to start filling many of the half filled local muxes in the South so they can get their services in stereo and compete with Global.

I'm guessing mono D1 is cheaper than putting a stereo feed on all the local muxes as Kiss was moved from stereo on local muxes to mono on D1.

Global demonstrating they are prepared to invest in DAB by spending more to ensure stereo coverage as opposed to Bauer who just cram everything onto D1 in mono to save cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A reshape is needed to sort out this capacity problem. Digital 2 being introduce could help, but it's no guarantee that it's the complete solution to the capacity problems.

This is only done as it'll be a clause in the FM licence for these stations that states you must also provide the station in stereo on DAN, hence Absolute now being on a local London mux in stereo. Bauer have no interest in stereo broadcasting unless they are forced to by licencing regulations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No. Not all of Global's stations are available on DAB UK wide.

You won't be able to hear Robin Galloway on DAB in Carlisle, Dundee, Inverness, Berwick Upon Tweed or Aberdeen e.g. from 6am to 10am

Ok, I thought Heart as the UK's most listened to commercial station was available across the country, amazed Global haven't got it onto all DAB muxes yet. Potential to grow their audience even more.

I wonder how Heart's DAB audience compares with Magic's, despite Magic having a greater coverage area being on D1. I suspect Heart wins hands down, could be down to that stereo service they offer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you use a one speaker mono DAB set in the kitchen without or without headphones on, it's going to be heard in mono anyway even if the station is broadcasting at 128kbps in stereo.

It's another matter for someone who listens via headphones on a stereo DAB set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is only done as it'll be a clause in the FM licence for these stations that states you must also provide the station in stereo on DAN, hence Absolute now being on a local London mux in stereo. Bauer have no interest in stereo broadcasting unless they are forced to by licencing regulations.
    It will be very sad if now more stereo DAB car sets are being installed, Bauer give up the D1 bandwidth and miss this opportunity if they win the D2 bid to get Kiss, Magic and Absolute nationally in stereo when the Global stations are taking advantage of stereo.
    http://media.info/radio/data/the-most-popular-radio-stations-in-the-uk
    Most popular stations in the UK (June 2014.)
    BBC Radio 2 (15.5m listeners every week)
    BBC Radio 1 (10.8m)
    BBC Radio 3 (10.5m)
    Heart (9.1m)
    Capital FM (7.3m)
    BBC Radio 5 live (6.3m)
    Classic FM (5.4m)
    KISS (4.6m)
    Smooth (4.6m)
    Magic (3.5m)
    Absolute with 1.8m is outside the top 10
    All national DAB stereo except Kiss Magic and 5 live. But some of Magic are the now City stations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, I thought Heart as the UK's most listened to commercial station was available across the country, amazed Global haven't got it onto all DAB muxes yet. Potential to grow their audience even more.

I wonder how Heart's DAB audience compares with Magic's, despite Magic having a greater coverage area being on D1. I suspect Heart wins hands down, could be down to that stereo service they offer.

But Heart's listening figures outside of London on DAB mostly come from the ex Real Radio stations or where what was once a full scale ilr in the local/regional muxes and not the London version on D1.

Local/Regional Heart outwith breakfast and drive had a ready made audience handed to them on a plate. But outwith Breakfast and drive, the local/regional Hearts have lost a lot of listeners compared with the Real Radio or ilr days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    It will be very sad if now more stereo DAB car sets are being installed, Bauer give up the D1 bandwidth and miss this opportunity if they win the D2 bid to get Kiss, Magic and Absolute nationally in stereo when the Global stations are taking advantage of stereo.
    http://media.info/radio/data/the-most-popular-radio-stations-in-the-uk
    Most popular stations in the UK (June 2014.)

Absolute with 1.8m is outside the top 10
    All national DAB stereo except Kiss Magic and 5 live. But some of Magic are the now City stations?

I doubt most listening to Heart do so via D1 on DAB

The 9.1 million listening to Heart includes the all of the ex Real Radio and ex ilr's on all various platforms. But I highly doubt outwith London that the reach is particularly high outwith Breakfast and Drive in the ex ilr and Real Radio areas on FM or the local/regional DAB version.

Magic? Was that the London Magic 105.4 that are currently on D1 now, or the now City "2" stations?
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt most listening to Heart do so via D1 on DAB

Heart isn't on D1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Heart isn't on D1.
    Heart is stereo on a lot of the local muxes, but Heart extra will be available nationally in many more areas when it may go live on D1 March, but potentially only mono using the current Premier mono 64k slot when it's D1 contract expires, unless Global finds extra capacity?
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/12/global-to-launch-heart-extra-and-more-digital-stations/
    Heart Extra will launch on Digital One, the national DAB multiplex, where Global says it has done a deal for extra ‘significant’ capacity
    But would have thought the slot would have to be advertised so others can get a chance to bid?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless all the stations on a UK wide list of popular stations are broadcasting a 24/7/365 universal schedule UK wide on a standard radio and DAB, it's not a proper comparison.

Combining together the Northern England Magic 1152/1161/1548 stations with the London 105.4FM e.g. (if that was the case for June 2014) and comparing with other full scale UK national stations is just not right as they were different stations with totally different outputs.

That survey was probably more London biased than anything else where most listeners of these stations were probably from London.
  • Options
    RadioGazRadioGaz Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Having just bought a new car (Ford Focus) with built in DAB, my radio is almost always on Absolute Radio 80's and to be honest the lack of stereo isn't really an issue for me, I thought it might have been, I usually listen to 80's at home via freesat. Although it's mono at least it's not muffled like AM!
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you use a one speaker mono DAB set in the kitchen without or without headphones on, it's going to be heard in mono anyway even if the station is broadcasting at 128kbps in stereo.

It's another matter for someone who listens via headphones on a stereo DAB set.

Indeed, and the OP referred to car listening. My point still stands, most people don't notice/care the station they are listening to is in stereo or mono,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Combining together the Northern England Magic 1152/1161/1548 stations with the London 105.4FM e.g. (if that was the case for June 2014) and comparing with other full scale UK national stations is just not right as they were different stations with totally different outputs.

That survey was probably more London biased than anything else where most listeners of these stations were probably from London.
    The chart on media.info looks more brand related than station related. For the larger groups getting a brand with a large listening base gets more national ads,so going local (but still stereo) for "city2" is an interesting move, but looks like "Mellow Magic" will launch in mono if the Bauer D2 bid is accepted, but I would have preferred the old Magic North/City 2 greatest hits output to go national.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed, and the OP referred to car listening. My point still stands, most people don't notice/care the station they are listening to is in stereo or mono,

The thing is once you know a station is in mono it becomes annoyingly noticeable when listening in the car, I listen to Absolute a lot and it now sounds very flat when comparing it to Radio 2 or XFM when listening to guitar tracks.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    For the past few days I have been using a car with a DAB radio in tuning to both the mono and stereo stations and I really don't have a problem listening in mono. I really think this issue with mono is just an enthusiasts thing and does not affect normal listeners
  • Options
    NokiaNokiaNokiaNokia Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bauer should be ashamed of themselves for putting out Magic and Absolute Radio in mono. They just sound terrible, I imagine the programme teams involved are simply embarassed. Down here we have Jack FM too in mono on DAB - just sounds awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    For the past few days I have been using a car with a DAB radio in tuning to both the mono and stereo stations and I really don't have a problem listening in mono. I really think this issue with mono is just an enthusiasts thing and does not affect normal listeners

So why do artists bother to record in stereo must be a hassle, wouldn't it be easier of they all just stuck out mono recordings if nobody notices?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NokiaNokia wrote: »
    Bauer should be ashamed of themselves for putting out Magic and Absolute Radio in mono. They just sound terrible, I imagine the programme teams involved are simply embarassed.
    From http://www.sounddigital.co.uk/
    the new licence could offer capacity for around ten new national radio stations.
    But D2 will have 14 stations which include Abs 80s, Planetrock, Kisstory and Heat moved from existing D1 and local muxes.
    If the Buaer stations remaining on D1 were to stay mono would create space for 2 new stations making 12 "new national radio stations" on both D1 and D2, but if Absolute, Kiss and Magic go stereo on D1, will stay at 10 "new national radio stations" on just D2?
    But can't find any confirmation?