Dmr-es30v

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Bought my DMR-ES30V DVD/VHS Combi about two years ago, it's never really been a brilliant performer - I'm having real problems with the DVD recorder on it now

It seems to intermittently wipe discs I've recorded myself - I can put a brand new disc in, record something and before it's finalised it starts to make this horrible squeaky grinding noise and then corrupts the disc.

It seems to be worse when I put it on timer - when it sets itself up the noise is much worse. Over Xmas I've lost loads of stuff I'd wanted to watch because it's wiped/corrupted discs. I'm back having to rely on my VHS part of the machine to record.

Can anyone help - am hoping it's not a repair job as I can't afford it at the moment

Cheers
Kath

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello Kath

There IS a remedy for this problem, but it involves opening the machine.

Do you feel competent enough to do that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hiya

Thanks for the reply!

I'd appreciate any help even if it does mean opening the machine, I'm reasonably competent with things like this, but if I feel out of my depth I can wait until my other half comes down from Glasgow (he's a bit more technically minded than me) and he can do it.

Thanks in advance - appreciate your responce

Kath
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavegirl79 wrote: »
    Hiya

Thanks for the reply!

I'd appreciate any help even if it does mean opening the machine, I'm reasonably competent with things like this, but if I feel out of my depth I can wait until my other half comes down from Glasgow (he's a bit more technically minded than me) and he can do it.

Thanks in advance - appreciate your responce

Kath

Hi Kath

Firstly some obvious things to say ... like ensure the machine is completely unplugged from everything before you start... and be aware that there is a risk you can do more harm than good , so proceed with care and take your time.
    Do the job in a clean work area with plenty of light.

You need to get inside the optical drive. How that is done is machine dependent so I cannot give you detail but it is largely just a question of applying common sense.

The main top case has to come off which is usually four or six screws. Use a well fitting screwdriver.

Then the cover of the DVD drive ... This is more variable but is typically 3 to 6 screws plus a bit of careful dislocation.

Once inside , move the innards as little as possible... but you can take the opportunity to clean the laser lens very carefully and gently with a cotton bud.

But your real objective is a rubber ring on the disc platform.

To explain why the need, and how to do it, then please see post No. 2 in THIS thread ....which will lead you to yet another thread where that actual instructions are.

Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me - this sounds like it might be more of a job for my other half ;) , so I'll get him to take a look when I next see him. In the meantime, thank you for your help and advice and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers, mate
    Kath