Anyone else lost the History Channel?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
My TV with Freeview built in kindly informed me that new channels were available, so I scanned for them.
The result...History Channel has vanished :mad:

It was annoying enough that they switched it off at 6pm anyway, but now I can't get it at all!!

Anyone else lost it? Anyone know where it went?

Think my signal comes from the Wrekin (Shropshire).

Thanks for any help offered.

Comments

• RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jontifree wrote: »
    My TV with Freeview built in kindly informed me that new channels were available, so I scanned for them.

It was annoying enough that they switched it off at 6pm anyway, but now I can't get it at all!!

I take it you mean UKTV History and not The History Channel, as that's only on Sky (and possibly Virgin Media).

Do you still have Virgin 1, TMF, 4Music (The Hits), Ideal World & Film4? If not, then you've lost the whole of Multiplex D, which could be due to low/loss of signal
  • DAVE02DAVE02 Posts: 1,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you get the other channels that are on the same UHF number as UKTV History
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    RileyM wrote: »
    I take it you mean UKTV History and not The History Channel, as that's only on Sky (and possibly Virgin Media).

Do you still have Virgin 1, TMF, 4Music (The Hits), Ideal World & Film4? If not, then you've lost the whole of Multiplex D, which could be due to low/loss of signal

Yeah, sorry UKTV History.

Still get the other channels, It just seems to be UKV History that has vanished.
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sorry UKTV History.

Still get the other channels, It just seems to be UKV History that has vanished.

Is the box (or TV in your case) maybe just not listing it on the correct LCN (EPG channel number)? Some boxes do this if there's a problem with the transmission when it does the scan and stores the channels,like if there signal is too weak and the box/TV cant get the info on which channel number to use, or if know channel number has been associated to it. I think the most common channel range where there channels are stored are in the 800s or possible 900s,
  • mim1946mim1946 Posts: 150
    Forum Member

If your box has the option of doing a 'first time instal' or 'factory reset', try that. If not, remove the aerial from the back of the box and do a rescan - no channels found. Disconnect from the electricity supply (unplug, not just switch off) for a few seconds. Plug electric and aerial back in and do the scan for channels again.

Hopefully this will fix it for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks all.

After several rescans it has reappeared. No explanation for it really.

It was still available via other boxes around the house (as after it vanished off the main TV I didn't do any new channel scans on the others), all showing very good signal strength. So it must have just been my TV being awkward.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I've just gone through the freeview channels and see that 'All Creatures Great and Small' and 'Reilly Ace of Spies' are showing on UKTV history.

Looks like dumbing down to me. Either that or it's become the new Drama channel!
  • Andy258Andy258 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just gone through the freeview channels and see that 'All Creatures Great and Small' and 'Reilly Ace of Spies' are showing on UKTV history.

Looks like dumbing down to me. Either that or it's become the new Drama channel!

UKTV History has been dumbing down for some time (along with the rest of the UKTV network!).

As far as I know, UKTV History is supposed to show serious documentaries such as Timewatch, so why they waste airtime showing rubbish like Antiques Roadshow i'll never know.

As for the drama's they show, then there are several other UKTV channels they could put them on.

UKTV History is not the place to show Sharpe, All Creatures Great & Small, Reilly Ace of Spies and certainly not Catherine bloody Cookson!!!