Windows 8: Put Simply

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I find OSX ok, but I guess it depends what the user prefers really. Do you use Classic Shell or one of those utilities with it?

Nothing. Just Windows 8 as it is.

I do use for a start menu though a little program by Samsung which pops up a start menu when you need it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    OSX is really dumbed down, just like iOS. Apple like to keep UI simple for their users.

How is OSX dumbed down?
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    It's a terrible windows version because they didn't have balls to do a proper new OS.

It's horrid and there's a reason why its not doing well. People aren't stupid... and do there talking with there wallets. The perplexed faces in PC world say a lot. If you find something stupid and illogical to use.. Why buy it?
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8, put simply, is a steaming pile of dung.

Actually ignoring all the new stuff, the equivalent Windows 7 stuff is a vast improvement on Windows 7.

My biggest issue is pinned web pages on the start screen and pinned apps on the start screen. They start off the same but switching requires two different methods, three if you count the desktop.

I keep trying to switch from say IE10 DS web page, to the Sky News app by right clicking and selecting a tab, or moving the mouse to the top left hand corner and trying to select the DS site from the running apps bar.

If IE10 had a single instance mode for pinned web sites, with no tabs or address bar, they could behave like apps and everything could switch from one place.

Saying that I would like a single key to select it and prefer it to appear as a window in the centre of the screen so I can select an app or web page with the mouse.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is OSX dumbed down?

It hides options for you that Apple dont think the average Apple user will want to use.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good another Win8 hate thread complete with trolls.

It's nice to see good rational debate around here ;)
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    Oh good another Win8 hate thread complete with trolls.

And so completely unnecessary, all Microsoft had to do was allow users to default to desktop without 3rd party add ons and most of the dislike would not exist.
  • FraserGJFraserGJ Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    It's a terrible windows version because they didn't have balls to do a proper new OS.

It's horrid and there's a reason why its not doing well. People aren't stupid... and do there talking with there wallets. The perplexed faces in PC world say a lot. If you find something stupid and illogical to use.. Why buy it?

The Windows 8 laptops in the Currys/PC World stores near me always seem to be on the "Automatic Repair" screen saying. One today was also "Diagnosing...". A few weeks back when I popped in I counted them, 6 of them were showing that screen, not great advertisement...

On the wider topic - I've been using Windows 8 since the start of December. Trying to use it on a touchpad is exceedingly tiresome - I've figured out a few tricks on my own but still a lot of back-and-forth across the screen to get things done. Summary - hated it then, hate it slightly less now...
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hides options for you that Apple dont think the average Apple user will want to use.

Such as?
    Forum Member
    Actually ignoring all the new stuff, the equivalent Windows 7 stuff is a vast improvement on Windows 7.

My biggest issue is pinned web pages on the start screen and pinned apps on the start screen. They start off the same but switching requires two different methods, three if you count the desktop.

I keep trying to switch from say IE10 DS web page, to the Sky News app by right clicking and selecting a tab, or moving the mouse to the top left hand corner and trying to select the DS site from the running apps bar.

If IE10 had a single instance mode for pinned web sites, with no tabs or address bar, they could behave like apps and everything could switch from one place.

Saying that I would like a single key to select it and prefer it to appear as a window in the centre of the screen so I can select an app or web page with the mouse.

The business with the pinned web pages reminds me of Windows 98 and Active Desktop. It allowed you to have a webpage as your desktop and also displayed adverts for certain internet "channels".

Like what?
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a part of the TechNet group who used Windows 8 at the developer stage, I have recently been part of a group feedback survey for Microsoft. To a man, every respondent I know (network managers os relatively small XP or W& networks) had a negative view of Windows 8, and will not consider it for a roll-out to their network.
    This might not reflect all respondents, but the group I know are unanimous it is a flawed system. The hope is that Microsoft will take this on board and addresss the issues of usability in either W9 or even some sort of W8 service pack.
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    I can see their problem with the metro interface though... a lot of people really dont like it.... but I don't think its so bad that it makes the OS a piece of crap! There's plenty of useful features besides that and you can avoid it by sticking to the desktop mode

To solve the problem for the Metro haters ,install Start 8
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I hardly think being sharp to look at (which is a matter of opinion) is a recommendation for serious desktop users wanting productivity out of their system.

As for "slick to use with a mouse", I laughed out loud when I read that as it's literally all over the place with a mouse, and much slower to launch any serious programs.

To launch the occasionally used Windows Media Encoder from the desktop with a Start Button add-on took me 4 seconds, first time. Very few clicks and almost imperceptible mouse and eye movements. To launch it from the Metro screen took me 8 seconds after dropping into the small-tiles screen, practising several times, and with mouse and eye movements all over the place (which on a 27 inch screen isn't exactly restful). It was slow and in the end, dumped me onto the desktop anyway! May as well have started from there, obviously!

So it's back to Classic Shell again for me and now, without Metro, W8 actually is "slick to use with a mouse".

You must be a sloppy mouse user then ;)

I stand by what I said in my earlier post and will add I think, judging by the same names popping up on W8 threads all the time that some members have their own agenda and just won't give 8 a chance.

Slick and easy posting this too :)
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ssr wrote: »
    To solve the problem for the Metro haters ,install Start 8
    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Why should we have to install anything?

If microsoft now only want to cater for the kiddies and their Apps, gadgets and love of brightly coloured tasteless buttons, (sorry I mean Tiles: we have to give them trendy names that the kiddies just lap up), why should we bother with them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should we have to install anything?

If microsoft now only want to cater for the kiddies and their Apps, gadgets and love of brightly coloured tasteless buttons, (sorry I mean Tiles: we have to give them trendy names that the kiddies just lap up), why should we bother with them?

All that though is your opinion, all this talk on W8 is purely subjective to the poster. Using the word 'we' speaks for everyone but does not reflect reality, "I would have to give them" would be a better way of putting it.
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right about subjectivity. But there are some pertinent points to be made which doesn't make them "trolling". As a long term Windows user in multiple environments, it has alwaays been possible to make a pretty good judgement on new Windows releases from their first use. 3.1 was fine, NT was clunky to start with and improved with each Service Pack. 2000 seemed okay, but I only used it very briefly. XP was good. ME a mess. Vista was a good idea badly implemented. 7 was great.
    W8, as a desktop environment, doesn't add enough to W7 to make it worthwhile, and removes some very useful elements (cf. all the start button threads, aero, etc.). The tiles/apps interface is a good way of accessing a touchscreen, but to my mind (and my colleagues in similar situations) it should have been an available add-on rather than the default.
    Subjective? Yes. Trolling? I think not; I am now going to spin round to the desk behind me and have an afternoon trying to make W8 work for me again - but I fear I'll be back on my main W7 machine before the day is out.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I doubt there is anyone out there using W7 who has not downloaded and used a third party app to improve the usage/look in some way or another..
    Once you volunteer to use W8 you have a similar choice to use 3rd party apps or not. So I don't see why people object to having a selection of start buttons to choose from....
    I use the same one in 8 as I did in 7, not really a problem.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like what?

For starters the actually layout the OS on disk, unless you drop down into Terminal or start poking around.

Or how about the option to show hidden files that can only be set by running a terminal command.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I doubt there is anyone out there using W7 who has not downloaded and used a third party app to improve the usage/look in some way or another..
    Once you volunteer to use W8 you have a similar choice to use 3rd party apps or not. So I don't see why people object to having a selection of start buttons to choose from....
    I use the same one in 8 as I did in 7, not really a problem.

My Windows 7 installs are all default - no 3rd party utilities unless you count anti-virus.

My sole Windows 8 install is highly modified using 3rd party utilities (Start8 & Decor8 from Stardock).
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For starters the actually layout the OS on disk, unless you drop down into Terminal or start poking around.

Or how about the option to show hidden files that can only be set by running a terminal command.

So true.

I noticed in Mountain Lion that Apple made it harder to customise the install.

Apple also removed the DHCP GUI preference pane in the ML Server addon which annoyed a lot of OS X Server users.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Yjudging by the same names popping up on W8 threads all the time that some members have their own agenda

Can't speak for the others but I certainly DO have an agenda! I want Microsoft to add back the Start button and a Metro by-pass as an option! They can easily do this as a download or service pack and then, the criticism will mostly disappear at a stroke. I also want everyone who is thinking of buying it to know that they may not like it as Metro is so different from any previous Windows front-end, but that if they don't, all is not lost due to the independent add-ons.
    neo_wales wrote: »
    ...and just won't give 8 a chance.
    Oh I gave it plenty of chances, 6 months ago IIRC (months before its release to retail). It simply does not stack up to my requirements on a powerful desktop-mouse system, it's as simple as that. But for Classic Shell, I would never have purchased Windows 8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Can't speak for the others but I certainly DO have an agenda! I want Microsoft to add back the Start button and a Metro by-pass as an option! They can easily do this as a download or service pack and then, the criticism will mostly disappear at a stroke. I also want everyone who is thinking of buying it to know that they may not like it as Metro is so different from any previous Windows front-end, but that if they don't, all is not lost due to the independent add-ons.

Oh I gave it plenty of chances, 6 months ago IIRC (months before its release to retail). It simply does not stack up to my requirements on a powerful desktop-mouse system, it's as simple as that. But for Classic Shell, I would never have purchased Windows 8.

Your all 'me me me' ;)

Write in the the editor of The Times:

Sir,
    Because of that absolute shower at Microsoft I have had to install a new start button in Windows 8:mad:

They all deserve a dam good thrashing

Yours
    Mr Angry
    Darn Sarf
    :D
    Forum Member

I never knew about that one. I know that in Windows XP you can just go to Explorer>Tools/File Options and allow it to show hidden files from there. Don't know about Windows 7 though.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    My Windows 7 installs are all default - no 3rd party utilities unless you count anti-virus.

My sole Windows 8 install is highly modified using 3rd party utilities (Start8 & Decor8 from Stardock).

I knew you would be out there....:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never knew about that one. I know that in Windows XP you can just go to Explorer>Tools/File Options and allow it to show hidden files from there. Don't know about Windows 7 though.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/08/win8-howto-19-show-hidden-files-folders-and-drives.aspx