✭✭
    Wha? Star Wars episode 7? Since when??

And Disney??
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wha? Star Wars episode 7? Since when??

And Disney??

Since Disney bought Lucasfilm on Tuesday. There is 'substantial demand' for new Star Wars films and they're releasing a new one every 2-3 years from 2015.

They're probably right about the demand, even if it's a poor film, people are still gonna wanna see what the House of Mouse comes up with. Hopefully not Damon Lindelof, who has been rumoured to be writing it today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    My initial response was a deep sense of sadness, as I hate it when movie makers go too far and the whole thing just gets completely ruined.

But then I started to think about it, and now I've completely changed my mind and I'm really excited, and a lot of it is due to it being Disney who are going to take Star Wars forward. I love Disney. They've made some amazing films, and I really believe that they ARE the logical torch bearers for the Star Wars Saga.

I'm glad Lucas will not be writing. The prequels could have been absolutely amazing - but the writing was just completely robotic.

It's so weird because I finally introduced my kids to Star Wars this year. I waited until they were an age that I thought they would appreciate them (they're now 9 & 8) because I wanted them to love them, as I did. (My son is named Luke, and I came this close to calling my daugher Leia - but I didn't!) I digress.......The point is that they DID love them (all six) but they loved Empire and Return the most, and at the end, they wanted to know what happens next, and I told them that we would never know as there will never be another Star Wars movie..........

And up pops this announcement and makes a complete liar out of me! I told them the news, and now they are as excited as I am that in a few years time, we'll be able to sit in a cinema together and watch a brand new Star Wars movie, with popcorn and 3D glasses, and hopefully, be completely blown away. :)
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    My initial response was a deep sense of sadness, as I hate it when movie makers go too far and the whole thing just gets completely ruined.

But then I started to think about it, and now I've completely changed my mind and I'm really excited, and a lot of it is due to it being Disney who are going to take Star Wars forward. I love Disney. They've made some amazing films, and I really believe that they ARE the logical torch bearers for the Star Wars Saga.

I'm glad Lucas will not be writing. The prequels could have been absolutely amazing - but the writing was just completely robotic.

It's so weird because I finally introduced my kids to Star Wars this year. I waited until they were an age that I thought they would appreciate them (they're now 9 & 8) because I wanted them to love them, as I did. (My son is named Luke, and I came this close to calling my daugher Leia - but I didn't!) I digress.......The point is that they DID love them (all six) but they loved Empire and Return the most, and at the end, they wanted to know what happens next, and I told them that we would never know as there will never be another Star Wars movie..........

And up pops this announcement and makes a complete liar out of me! I told them the news, and now they are as excited as I am that in a few years time, we'll be able to sit in a cinema together and watch a brand new Star Wars movie, with popcorn and 3D glasses, and hopefully, be completely blown away. :)

Good post, very much the same as my thinking.:)

Also would just like to remind people of the "Toy Story" saga/event.

When the original film was shown to Disney executives it was basically met with aghast silence. The script and story was slanted to make "Woody" seem like a sleazy no good cowboy, not a children's film by any stretch of the imagination (that was what Tom Hanks said).

After the "aghast silence" the execs acted and acted fast, the film was already scheduled for release in six months. They brought in Joss Whedon as a scriptwriter and changed the whole emphasis of the film.

I always wonder what Phantom Menace could have been like if Lucas had had to go through that process.
    Forum Member

When the original film was shown to Disney executives it was basically met with aghast silence. The script and story was slanted to make "Woody" seem like a sleazy no good cowboy, not a children's film by any stretch of the imagination (that was what Tom Hanks said).

After the "aghast silence" the execs acted and acted fast, the film was already scheduled for release in six months. They brought in Joss Whedon as a scriptwriter and changed the whole emphasis of the film.

I always wonder what Phantom Menace could have been like if Lucas had had to go through that process.

Toy Story is an excellent case in point. A perfect trilogy if there ever was one, with each film topping the previous one. In fact, I think the third is one of my all time favorite films, and never fails to leave me completely choked by the end of it. AND I'm farily sure that they will make no more (but never say never,) as they story has been told and had a perfect ending.

If Disney can do that with animation, and a cast of toys, imagine what they can do with a human cast that is already loved and a saga that is already well documented in Disney-lore; i.e. good vs evil etc. I think they will do an amazing job, and I can't wait to see what they come up with. I'm actually a lot more optimistic that our expectations will be met with Disney at the helm, as opposed to Lucas. I will always admire Lucas for giving us Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but will never forgive him for letting us down with the Prequels. I actually liked them. They were visually stunning, but they could have been so much more if there had been a simpler story and dialogue that real people would use.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping that they use the Yuuzhan Vong war as the setting for the new movies it'd be interesting to see a new jedi order

Very Much this! Not only are the Yuzahn Vong an awesomely scary prospect, but the timeline of Vector Prime, with the next generation of young Skywalkers and Solos teaming up together, would allow Hamil, Ford & Fisher to come back at their current age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuartjk wrote: »
    Looks like Anthony Daniels has got a few more years work left!

If AD isn't available (Ha!) then Jim Parsons would make a superb C3P0, not sure what his British accent is like though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    If they recast, got to be Nathan Fillion for Han Solo. He's already kind of done it.

I'd prefer them to be set thirty years after so we don't need to recast anyone. Ford and Chewie in a Millenium Falcon cameo, Old Jedi Master Hamill and New Republic Leader Fisher would be the way to do things. Would we see force ghost Yoda or Anakin?

I'd hate somebody on Kamino cloning Vader and Palpatine, but you never know. Would Disney dare resurrect characters? i personally think the SW universe is bigger than that, but never say never where money is concerned.

The mind boggles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darth Vader's story has been told, and with it that of the Emperor, other than that I wouldn't mind whose story they told from the SW universe*.

*Jar Jar notwithstanding.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member

I think you're a little mixed up there, such a change would have happened very early in the pre-production stage, Toy Story could never have been altered so drastically (or very much at all) six months ahead of it's release date.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly hope they don't use any of the EU stuff , I've read a fair bit of it and while its ok it's not up to the standard of the movies (not even up to the prequels , and I'm not a fan of those ) .

no , I'm sure Lucas has a pretty good idea for a story , I'd use that . According to Dale Pollock who once saw the outlines it's pretty good .
    Forum Member
    I think you're a little mixed up there, such a change would have happened very early in the pre-production stage, Toy Story could never have been altered so drastically (or very much at all) six months ahead of it's release date.

I remember seeing a documentary about Pixar, or it might have just been about Toy Story prior to 3's release, and they definitely said that they had to rewrite the whole character of Woody, as he was originally conceived to be a bit of a sly and bitter sort. Tom Hanks did suggest they change him, and the studio heads all agreed that he be made into the character that we know today. I remember though that it was at the story board stage of production, and not anywhere near as close to the actual release as these movies take forever to animate, so they couldn't have done otherwise.