Longevity of android tablet?

Comments

• Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Simply to be somewhat future proof.

The thing is, as I said, I love apple products. So if I paid £350 for a tablet and in two years time it stopped getting updates I'd be annoyed because I'd know I could have got an iPad and still be receiving updates. Obviously not so much if I paid £100 for it, I wouldn't expect it to last years on end at that price.

I do browse on it, do banking etc and reading and some gaming they're just not its main use. It's main use is streaming.

I have a PC in my room with a 27" monitor. I don't want a TV. I could just use that for streaming but I don't want to. I prefer having a tablet which I can use to either stream, read, browse or play games on whilst sitting in bed.

My Aunty has a hudl 2 and I think it's great. But a bit small, as I've said I want a 10" tablet. That and as you've said, Tesco have given up on their tablet range.

Your first post inferred you used it mainly for streaming... All bets are off then. You seem to really want an iPad but need someone else to justify spending that much. :) The compromise is a refurbished one of the current or preceding generation direct from Apple.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore. Accidental double post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Your first post inferred you used it mainly for streaming... All bets are off then. You seem to really want an iPad but need someone else to justify spending that much. :) The compromise is a refurbished one of the current or preceding generation direct from Apple.

I do use it for mainly streaming. That will be its main use, just not its sole use.

I do want an iPad and it's not about spending the money at all, I was looking at a tab s2 which at £350 is just as expensive as an iPad. Air 2. My reluctance is about being reliant on jailbreaking to use it the way I want to. It seems silly to go out an buy a tablet that I can't use for its intended purpose if there's no jailbreak available when there are options around that have no such limitations.

I'm now leaning more towards buying cheap and replacing as and when. If a £100 tablet failed after 12-18 months I'd think fair enough, it wasn't expensive. If I went out, as I was originally thinking of doing and bought a £350 Samsung tablet only to find myself stuck with no updates after 18-24 months then I'd not be happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Sadly my Hudl 1 is no longer able to run BT Sport since the app expects a later version of Android. My5 also played this trick then was changed / reverted so it now runs. So I would discount your assertion that apps are not fussy about running on older versions of Android.

I did say recent but phrased it poorly as I meant the versions currently on the vast majority of new tablets (4.4 and up mostly). I'd be surprised if many apps insisted on Lollipop as a minimum in the next couple of years.

Personally I buy a tablet to last 2 years same as my phone. Longer for my laptop. I tend to aim for last year's flagships so I get decent specs for the money. For phones that's around £300 SIM free. I got lucky with the Hudl2 as I bought one for my parents and was so impressed with the display and sound for the money that I abandoned plans for a Samsung Tab S (at the time).

It's a shame the custom ROM community that exists for, say, the Samsung devices never existed for the Hudl. That's wizard I wouldn't worry about the OS version on a Samsung - for current models there will be custom ROMs based on latest versions in 4 years time and it's not as complicated a process to update thank it once was. So for a tech savvy user, the future proof argument is a bit shallow especially once the warranty expires. My old phone (Samsung Galaxy S) is 6 years old and has a Marshmallow custom ROM built for it! :)

So I would never fret about future proof when it comes to a Samsung mobile device personally. The Tab S is a good option for me if available as it has a 16:9 aspect ratio which I tend to favour and sadly the S2 has taken the 4:3 route.

But I digress...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do use it for mainly streaming. That will be its main use, just not its sole use.

I do want an iPad and it's not about spending the money at all, I was looking at a tab s2 which at £350 is just as expensive as an iPad. Air 2. My reluctance is about being reliant on jailbreaking to use it the way I want to. It seems silly to go out an buy a tablet that I can't use for its intended purpose if there's no jailbreak available when there are options around that have no such limitations.

I'm now leaning more towards buying cheap and replacing as and when. If a £100 tablet failed after 12-18 months I'd think fair enough, it wasn't expensive. If I went out, as I was originally thinking of doing and bought a £350 Samsung tablet only to find myself stuck with no updates after 18-24 months then I'd not be happy.

Deleted - duplicate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OK, I'm with you now. If you're happy to jailbreak an iPad, why not flash a custom ROM and root a Samsung in 2 to 3 years if you really need to? That's the beauty's of Android on the mainstream devices - custom development carries on way after the manufacturer stops and the software is highly customizable.

But your 2 year cycle makes sense too as long as you're happy with the quality of the cheaper tablet, especially display quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did say recent but phrased it poorly as I meant the versions currently on the vast majority of new tablets (4.4 and up mostly). I'd be surprised if many apps insisted on Lollipop as a minimum in the next couple of years.

Personally I buy a tablet to last 2 years same as my phone. Longer for my laptop. I tend to aim for last year's flagships so I get decent specs for the money. For phones that's around £300 SIM free. I got lucky with the Hudl2 as I bought one for my parents and was so impressed with the display and sound for the money that I abandoned plans for a Samsung Tab S (at the time).

It's a shame the custom ROM community that exists for, say, the Samsung devices never existed for the Hudl. That's wizard I wouldn't worry about the OS version on a Samsung - for current models there will be custom ROMs based on latest versions in 4 years time and it's not as complicated a process to update thank it once was. So for a tech savvy user, the future proof argument is a bit shallow especially once the warranty expires. My old phone (Samsung Galaxy S) is 6 years old and has a Marshmallow custom ROM built for it! :)

So I would never fret about future proof when it comes to a Samsung mobile device personally. The Tab S is a good option for me if available as it has a 16:9 aspect ratio which I tend to favour and sadly the S2 has taken the 4:3 route.

But I digress...

It's a shame the hudl 2 isn't a bit bigger or I'd have grabbed one of those after using my Aunty's.

I'll have a look on Amazon and gearbest. I know some of the Chinese makes offer great bang for buck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I'm with you now. If you're happy to jailbreak an iPad, why not flash a custom ROM and root a Samsung in 2 to 3 years if you really need to? That's the beauty's of Android on the mainstream devices - custom development carries on way after the manufacturer stops and the software is highly customizable.

But your 2 year cycle makes sense too as long as you're happy with the quality of the cheaper tablet, especially display quality.

I admit. I'm still torn. I *may* just grab a refurb air 2 when the next JB becomes available.

I do like apple products. They've always served me very well. My iPhone 5 worked flawlessly for three years. I passed it to a friend when I got a 6s and it's still working perfectly now. Same with my iPad. So I like the fact that I know what I'm buying and I know it will last, and if here's an issue I can (thankfully) go the local apple shop and get it sorted.

But as I said, it just seems daft remaining loyal to Apple in this instance when android would make it so much easier, I wouldn't be dependant on JB devs and stuck waiting for a jailbreak should anything go wrong and I need to restore at a time when there isn't a jail break available.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is Googles disappointing official end of support list for Nexus devices. Rule of thumb is roughly 2 years of OS updates (you may get more if you are lucky). Security patches for the longer of 3 years from availability or 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device. Nowhere near as good as Apple im afraid. Samsung are pretty awful when it come to updates. You will have a very long wait for the latest version of Android. Usually several months after it get released if at all.

No guaranteed Android version updates after:

Nexus 6P September 2017

Nexus 5X September 2017

Nexus 9 October 2016

Nexus 6 October 2016

Nexus 5 October 2015

Nexus 7 (2013) July 2015

Nexus 10 November 2014

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en#nexus_devices

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-nexus-end-of-life-eol-699591/
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    What are people's thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy S2 8" tablet? I am in a position to get one for £240 but if the only real reason is to get back use of the BT Sport app then I am struggling to justify replacing my Hudl 1 which does everything else I want it to.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are people's thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy S2 8" tablet? I am in a position to get one for £240 but if the only real reason is to get back use of the BT Sport app then I am struggling to justify replacing my Hudl 1 which does everything else I want it to.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 was released in August 2015 and shipped with Lollipop. Marshmallow was released for it recently. It may get Nougat in the Summer or Autumn of 2016 if you are lucky.

It is way better than the Hudl 1. The successor to the Galaxy Tab S2 should be out soon.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a Google Nexus tablet - they keep updates going for much longer than 2 years plus you can also root & flash one of the many custom ROMs after that - the popularity of the devices guarantees a thriving 3rd party ROM community for a long time. If you fancy a Samsung (the S2 is very good) then you can always also flash a custom ROM after Samsung stop generating updates (with the added bonus of getting rid of the bloatware).

As a complete departure, get a Raspberry Pi for £30 and use it a Kodi device - very cheap and easy to do. I've just built a web server on one!

Nexus tablets don't really get updated for much longer than other android tablets. The nexus 7 2013 came out in 2013. It will not be getting updated to nougat (android N) this year). So it basically received only two software updates (L and M).

That's Rubbish really compared to an iPad. Look at the iPad 2. It was released in 2011 and only stopped getting updates this year (won't get iOS 10). That's 5 years and 5 major OS updates.

I think if you buy any android tablet you have to accept that it will get updates for 2 years maximum and then nothing more unless you are willing to root it and update it yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's keep this simple then - if a satisfactory Android tablet costs less than 40% of the iPad you want then it's still cheaper to upgrade in 2 yearrs plus you'll have 2020 hardware in 4 years time rather than 2016 hardware running a 2019/2020 version of iOS.
  • Options
    Michael09Michael09 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had by Nexus 7 2012 32GB for 3 Years, which I bought in a sale before they released the new edition. I find it runs fine and I'm at all bothered about updates, which don't tend to bring too many improvements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you don't need to be jailbroken to install that?

Correct. No jailbreak required.

Power wise it will last for years. £240 is well worth it!!!

My bro has the original Tab S and that thing flies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Michael09 wrote: »
    I've had by Nexus 7 2012 32GB for 3 Years, which I bought in a sale before they released the new edition. I find it runs fine and I'm at all bothered about updates, which don't tend to bring too many improvements.

Happy to add the same. I've had it since early 2013 and it hasn't let me down at all. Still use it every day. The Lollipop upgrade was tricky at first, but after a fresh reset and wipe it's been great guns since. About the worst I can say about it is it's a bit slow to boot up, but once it has it's fine.

I think as long as you have the 32Gb version you're OK. A lot of the bad reports about the older Nexus 7 seem to be from folks with the 16Gb version (not sure if there's a smaller one than that).
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have (had) a Nexus 7 2013 and it snuffed it today :cry: I've had it since 2013 but I'm not sure how much it cost as it was a Christmas gift. It had all the latest updates and was working fine until this morning. I'm not sure how it broke as it was working well last night and I saved a photo from Twitter onto it, but I turned it on this morning and it was broken. I've just ordered a new one of the same model from Amazon. I'm a bit disappointed as it's a really good tablet and I like the small form factor. I'm not a fan of the iPad at all. iOS is very locked down and clunky.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have (had) a Nexus 7 2013 and it snuffed it today :cry: I've had it since 2013 but I'm not sure how much it cost as it was a Christmas gift. It had all the latest updates and was working fine until this morning. I'm not sure how it broke as it was working well last night and I saved a photo from Twitter onto it, but I turned it on this morning and it was broken. I've just ordered a new one of the same model from Amazon. I'm a bit disappointed as it's a really good tablet and I like the small form factor. I'm not a fan of the iPad at all. iOS is very locked down and clunky.
    Does your IT training allow you to provide a better description of the problem than just 'broken'? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably a hardware problem such as a dying power supply which IT software professionals are not well enough informed to diagnose? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just bitten the bullet and gone for the S2 as my Hudl seems to be playing up with some apps spontaneously crashing (eg Google Maps and BBC Sport) which I suspect is down to the latest versions of these apps not getting the backward compatibility testing needed to keep them stable on older versions of Android. Decided on the 9.7" version for £280 in the end and went for gold over white as the preferred black was not available - hope that still looks the part with the dark blue case I ordered to go with it.
  • Options
    TaraMasalataTaraMasalata Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I loved my Nexus 7, but the first one did the same as yours eventually (bought 2013). We have had two more in the family since, one is still going strong, but the other was replaced by my iPad this year (which has a bigger screen, faster etc to be honest, don't mind the locked down aspect. The cut and paste tool is annoying, though).

But as I said, those Nexus 7s were pretty good, and I hope no 3 keeps going!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Does your IT training allow you to provide a better description of the problem than just 'broken'? ;-)

What IT training? I'm not a computer scientist and I don't have any IT qualifications or certs. I nearly did the ECDL but when I looked at the material I found it to be way too biased towards Microsoft products for my liking. I was also considering a computer science degree but it's very maths-heavy and I'm rubbish at maths. Well it wouldn't switch on and I tried hard reset and all but it didn't work. Dad plugged it into his Surface as my Mac didn't recognise it (didn't even get a warning from His Jobsness saying that the men in black turtlenecks were coming to my house any second :o) and there was nothing there. Nothing, nada, zilch, zip. It was like the device had been totally wiped. I think the machine just died. I ordered a new one from Amazon and I'm waiting for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, can anyone recommend a me a decent 10" android tablet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After just a few hours with my new Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7" I can heartily recommend it. The speed and responsiveness compared to my old Hudl 1 is like night and day (similar to the move from my old Nokia 5800 mobile to my current Lumia 820). Just waiting for the case to arrive so I can safely carry it in my work bag.