Options

Has BBC News HD started yet?

dans_t16sdans_t16s Posts: 768
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought the BBC launched all their remaining HD channels last month? I can't find News HD, or Four HD on my YouView EPG. I have Three and Two as well as the original One. I know YouView shouldn't need a retune as it does it automatically, but I just did it anyway but still no sign of these channels
Have they been delayed?

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    BBC 4 HD and BBC News HD are not yet available from all Freeview transmitters. And even so they are being tranmitted at a much lower power so may not be available if you have not much better than marginal reception.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Does anyone know when they will be? I'm in Southampton area.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four, News and CBeebies HD are not available from all Freeview transmitters. The new multiplexs they occupy are being rolled out for most of the main transmitters at the moment - but if you're on a relay, you're out of luck.

To find out if (or when) your transmitter may receive these three channels, plus Al Jazzeera HD and any further lauched HD channels, use the coverage checker at the Digital UK coverage checker.

EDIT: Sorry, crossed posts their. Hope the link helps though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Four, News and CBeebies HD are not available from all Freeview transmitters. The new multiplexs they occupy are being rolled out for most of the main transmitters at the moment - but if you're on a relay, you're out of luck.

To find out if (or when) your transmitter may receive these three channels, plus Al Jazzeera HD and any further lauched HD channels, use the coverage checker at the Digital UK coverage checker.

EDIT: Sorry, crossed posts their. Hope the link helps though.

Thanks. It says I'm on the Rowridge transmitter, and News HD and Four HD are showing as ok.. But I still can't see them. I'm sure my ariel is ok as I've never had viewing issues on any freeview channel in he past. Confused.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Have you tried a manual rescan? My parents weren't seeing these (off Sutton Coldfield) but a rescan produced them both, plus a couple other channel changes.

Edit. Sorry. Reread your first post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Youview does not let you do a manual scan of individual MUXes.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dans_t16s wrote: »
    Thanks. It says I'm on the Rowridge transmitter, and News HD and Four HD are showing as ok.. But I still can't see them. I'm sure my ariel is ok as I've never had viewing issues on any freeview channel in he past. Confused.

Rowridge has not yet started transmitting the channels, there are 30 sites in total, 10 sites were on air in time for Christmas, the remaining 20, of which Rowridge is one, are due between now and June. The exact timetable seems to be a state secret, but hey, we're just the viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Rowridge has not yet started transmitting the channels, there are 30 sites in total, 10 sites were on air in time for Christmas, the remaining 20, of which Rowridge is one, are due between now and June. The exact timetable seems to be a state secret, but hey, we're just the viewers.

Thank you. Just thankful it's not faulty equipment at my end :)
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    BBC 4 HD and BBC News HD are not yet available from all Freeview transmitters. And even so they are being tranmitted at a much lower power so may not be available if you have not much better than marginal reception.

Oddly, I can get these on my main TV, but not on my Tesco (Technika) 32" LCD. Which is in the same room(!) >:(
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Oddly, I can get these on my main TV, but not on my Tesco (Technika) 32" LCD. Which is in the same room(!) >:(

Wow! I have EXACTLY the same problem. My 47" LG set picks up BBC4 and BBC NEWS but my 32" Tesco Technika doesn't - no matter how many times I've re-scanned it. I assumed it's a fault with the TV because I get a good signal.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Wow! I have EXACTLY the same problem. My 47" LG set picks up BBC4 and BBC NEWS but my 32" Tesco Technika doesn't - no matter how many times I've re-scanned it. I assumed it's a fault with the TV because I get a good signal.

When I get round to it, I might tell it I'm in a different region and see if that helps. I'm in the North West.

Similarly, my main TV (50" Panny) constantly tells me when there are new channels, whereas the Technika never bothers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    When I get round to it, I might tell it I'm in a different region and see if that helps. I'm in the North West.

Similarly, my main TV (50" Panny) constantly tells me when there are new channels, whereas the Technika never bothers.

There are some threads running in the Freeview section about certain Vestel based receivers not 'seeing' the new mux. It could be related to that, Technika are one of Vestel's brands

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70019883#post70019883
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »

It's not just relays but also around half the main transmitters including mine, Midhurst which will permanently miss out. Very few will offer it in the a South because of having to allow for interference with European broadcasts. Only Crystal Palace which is just about receivable and Rowridge which we get no reception from will get it as main transmitters around here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is a big drawback if you are receiving from more than one transmitter and want to tune in only the strongest signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It does offer you a choice of transmitters if it detects more than one within range. Which is fine and dandy if their MUX database is up to date and correct. And some people may want to tune in one of the MUXes from a different transmitters to pick up their preferred regional variation even if the signal from that is not the best on offer.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a big drawback if you are receiving from more than one transmitter and want to tune in only the strongest signal.

There is always the old pull the cable out when it comes to frequencies you dont want it to tune to, while leaving it in for the ones you want, then when it scans to add channels it will ignore any new ones that dupe the ones it already has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tricky with Youview as it does not show the current MUX being scanned and only has a percentage complete bar.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    It's not just relays but also around half the main transmitters including mine, Midhurst which will permanently miss out. Very few will offer it in the a South because of having to allow for interference with European broadcasts. Only Crystal Palace which is just about receivable and Rowridge which we get no reception from will get it as main transmitters around here.

Sudbury not getting it, so thats half of East Anglia will be missing out some new HD channels..... another quality system for the UK :D

Did someone not say South Coast will not get them due to interference with French channels ?
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though Rowridge is getting the new muxes, if you use the superior vertical polarization which has all muxes at full power, you still wont get to see the new HD channels.

Only the inferior HP with it's hotchpotch of power levels is getting the new mux, so many users in the South will still miss out.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    Sudbury not getting it, so thats half of East Anglia will be missing out some new HD channels..... another quality system for the UK :D
    They will be available via satellite and cable though.

After all, it was never envisaged that DTT would have another set of HD muxes - what we are getting now is something that has been lashed together by the transmitter operator (Arqiva) using in part old pre-DSO kit and antennae.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Even though Rowridge is getting the new muxes, if you use the superior vertical polarization which has all muxes at full power, you still wont get to see the new HD channels.

Only the inferior HP with it's hotchpotch of power levels is getting the new mux, so many users in the South will still miss out.

Well, I wouldn't bet on that, I've not seen anything to say there won't be a vertical component for Mux 7/8, (he says optimisticly !)
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't bet on that, I've not seen anything to say there won't be a vertical component for Mux 7/8, (he says optimisticly !)

Com7 doesn't appear on the digital uk website for VP, and when emailed they've apparently said it will only be on HP. At least to start with.