Options

BBC to screen USA v GB Davis Cup tie

coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC Sport will broadcast Davis Cup tennis for the first time in five years when it covers Great Britain’s eagerly-anticipated away World Group clash against the United States.
The corporation has picked up the rights to screen the tie over the weekend of January 31-February 2, which will be played at Petco Park in San Diego, home of baseball’s San Diego Padres, on an outdoor clay court, the first to be played on the surface in a United States home tie since 1992.
Live coverage of all three days of the tie from California will be shared across BBC Two and BBC Three, with the latter airing the bulk of the action in its prime-time schedule.
Both days of singles competition on Friday (Jan 31) and Sunday (Feb 2) will start at 19:00 GMT, with the doubles rubber scheduled to begin at 20:00 GMT on Saturday (Feb 1).

British Eurosport will also broadcast tie with former British number one Annabel Croft presenting the pan-European channel’s live coverage.
Former US Open finalist Greg Rusedski and ex-GB Davis Cup player Jamie Baker will join Croft as studio guests throughout the weekend.
In addition to GB v United States, British Eurosport will also broadcast live coverage of the first round tie between France and Australia.

so from no channels its now on 2 uk channels.. what a result

Comments

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back from the wilderness in more ways than one then, I guess.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Decent times as well, well done all concerned.
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And well done also to Eurosport for also showing France v Australia
    which is obviously on during the day

They are making a big effort with showing mens tennis since they lost the WTA to BT Sport

So far they have shown
    1 Doha in full
    2 Brisbane from Quarter Finals
    3 Sydney from Quarter Finals
    4 2 weeks from Melbourne
    5 And now France and USA Davis Cup Matches

All in January :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    And well done also to Eurosport for also showing France v Australia
    which is obviously on during the day

They are making a big effort with showing mens tennis since they lost the WTA to BT Sport

So far they have shown
    1 Doha in full
    2 Brisbane from Quarter Finals
    3 Sydney from Quarter Finals
    4 2 weeks from Melbourne
    5 And now France and USA Davis Cup Matches

All in January :)

yesi agree great for picking up another tie aswell, and there is so much mens tennis that isnt shown by anyone so eurosport will pick them up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 31st January
    Day 1 – Singles
    LIVE: 7.00pm-11.05pm BBC Three / 11.05pm-1.00am BBC Two
    LIVE: 6.30pm-12.00am British Eurosport 2

Saturday 1st February
    Day 2 – Doubles
    LIVE: 8.00pm-11.05pm BBC Three / 11.00pm-1.00am BBC Two
    LIVE: 8.00pm-11.00pm British Eurosport 2

Sunday 2nd February
    Day 3 – Singles
    LIVE: 7.00pm-11.00pm BBC Three / 11.00pm-1.00am BBC Two
    LIVE: 7.00pm-12.00am British Eurosport 2
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`d rather see more of the Oz Open at the expense of any Davis Cup. Americans have very few players of any real threat these days so the result is a foregone conclusion against an on-form Murray.
  • Options
    dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but why change channels for a couple of hours
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I`d rather see more of the Oz Open at the expense of any Davis Cup. Americans have very few players of any real threat these days so the result is a foregone conclusion against an on-form Murray.

you say that, have you forgot there double team? we need our second player to win a match cause i doubt that we will win the doubles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dj999 wrote: »
    but why change channels for a couple of hours

so they dont have to move peak time shows, but depending on the the 1st day, the doubles might get on bbc 2 anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm fortunate in that I have Eurosport but for those without, BBC's lack of coverage of Australian Open must be a pain. Why can they not at least show some matches on the red button?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fortunate in that I have Eurosport but for those without, BBC's lack of coverage of Australian Open must be a pain. Why can they not at least show some matches on the red button?

i agree..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Sport secures a three-year deal to broadcast all of Great Britain’s Davis Cup World Group matches until 2016..
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that the has been a drop of BBC TV coverage to just the Australian Open final, Semi final and final were shown last year.
  • Options
    dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that the has been a drop of BBC TV coverage to just the Australian Open final, Semi final and final were shown last year.

wot a waste of time
  • Options
    MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member

Their website says the BBC are showing one of the Mens Semi Finals on TV

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/16660418
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkG6R wrote: »
    Their website says the BBC are showing one of the Mens Semi Finals on TV

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/16660418

And yet they fail to say when that is. I imagine they`re waiting to see which (assuming he makes it) the sainted Andy Murray is in. If he does it will be ironic to watch them clear the schedules on BBC2 (I assume..) when they have demonstrated such disdain for the tournament, and tennis, overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And yet they fail to say when that is. I imagine they`re waiting to see which (assuming he makes it) the sainted Andy Murray is in. If he does it will be ironic to watch them clear the schedules on BBC2 (I assume..) when they have demonstrated such disdain for the tournament, and tennis, overall.

To be fair, the semi finals could easily be

Nadal v Murray
    Swiss jobber v Czech jobber

Any broadcaster in the world that isnt Swiss or Czech would be selecting the first one, so its hardly a controversial choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, the semi finals could easily be

Nadal v Murray
    Swiss jobber v Czech jobber

Any broadcaster in the world that isnt Swiss or Czech would be selecting the first one, so its hardly a controversial choice.

This isn`t the women`s tournament! As Wawrinka has just shown, anyone that gets through to the semis will more than likely justify their place there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This isn`t the women`s tournament! As Wawrinka has just shown, anyone that gets through to the semis will more than likely justify their place there.

Oh behave, given a straight choice between either of the two, almost every broadcaster under the sun is going to pick the Murray/Nadal one.

Or, failing that, the Federer/Nadal one should Murray lose.

(of course both assume Nadal wins his quarter final match!)

To think otherwise is just silly.

Why dont you think ITV picked the Wigan semi final last year in the FA Cup? Look who was in the other one and then get back to me.

Same applies here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh behave, given a straight choice between either of the two, almost every broadcaster under the sun is going to pick the Murray/Nadal one.

I`m not saying they won`t but for you to dismiss the other as just two "jobbers" is ludicrous. In addition I`m sure every true tennis fan would love to see a hard-fought five-setter between "whoever" rather than automatically assuming just because we`re in the UK, that we would always pick Murray`s matches when many turn out to be 3 straight sets of largely one-sided play.

And why do we have to have either/or anyway? Can`t the bean-counters at the BBC chop a slice off Lord Hall`s fat pay-packet and get the rights to show both semis? To let the French and [majority of the] Australian slams go to other broadcasters is bad enough but then to still torture us with this half-arsed penny-pinching coverage is just adding insult to injury.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I`m not saying they won`t but for you to dismiss the other as just two "jobbers" is ludicrous. In addition I`m sure every true tennis fan would love to see a hard-fought five-setter between "whoever" rather than automatically assuming just because we`re in the UK, that we would always pick Murray`s matches when many turn out to be 3 straight sets of largely one-sided play.

Names sell. Federer OR Murray v Nadal is a better sell, on paper, than Berdych v Warwinka. Simple.

However good the actual match is, is a totally different issue as broadcasters are not blessed with hindsight. As an example, the recent darts semi final between Lewis and Van Gerwen was hyped to absolute f*ck by Sky. And guess what? Van Gerwen won 6-0 :D

And I would hardly be calling a potential Murray semi final against Nadal a 3 set procession in either direction. It may turn out to be so, but so could the other semi final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Names sell. Federer OR Murray v Nadal is a better sell, on paper, than Berdych v Warwinka. Simple.

BBC don`t have to concern themselves with "selling it". ITV or Sky or Eurosport is a different matter.
    And I would hardly be calling a potential Murray semi final against Nadal a 3 set procession in either direction. It may turn out to be so, but so could the other semi final.

Which is why the only sane thing to do is to show both. But then this is the BBC and they managed to turn a blind eye to Savile`s abuses while paying him handsomely so I suppose it`s a bit late to expect sanity and rational thinking from them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC don`t have to concern themselves with "selling it". ITV or Sky or Eurosport is a different matter.

Well yes, we know that, but if they showed the "lesser" semi final there would be numerous complaints.
    Which is why the only sane thing to do is to show both.

Well thats a slightly different issue from the one being discussed, but yes I agree with you.
  • Options
    greatkingratgreatkingrat Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    BBC Sport secures a three-year deal to broadcast all of Great Britain’s Davis Cup World Group matches until 2016..

Do they get a refund if GB are relegated this year?
  • Options
    AdamKAdamK Posts: 177
    Forum Member

Anyone know if that deal includes the obligation to be host broadcaster of GB's home ties, or do Eurosport take care of that since they've also retained the GB rights (or even some ITF contractor?).