Options

What Next For the X Factor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
So, I will begin by saying that up until about 2012 I watched X Factor pretty much all the time it was on (who didn't up until that point) but avoided it from then until the new series. I started watching the new series because I actually liked the panel. Unfortunately though, as much as I think it's improved the ratings are sliding incredibly fast, as they have been for many years now.
Do we think its time it bowed out? Any way you guys think it could be saved?
Personally I think its crazy to think it peaked at 16 million viewers in 2010, I genuinely believe that if the panel hadn't changed so drastically and for so long it would still be doing ok now, perhaps not so many viewers as TV figures in general never get that high anymore, but still relatively ok.

Comments

• Options
    RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    macers123 wrote: »
    So, I will begin by saying that up until about 2012 I watched X Factor pretty much all the time it was on (who didn't up until that point) but avoided it from then until the new series. I started watching the new series because I actually liked the panel. Unfortunately though, as much as I think it's improved the ratings are sliding incredibly fast, as they have been for many years now.
    Do we think its time it bowed out? Any way you guys think it could be saved?
    Personally I think its crazy to think it peaked at 16 million viewers in 2010, I genuinely believe that if the panel hadn't changed so drastically and for so long it would still be doing ok now, perhaps not so many viewers as TV figures in general never get that high anymore, but still relatively ok.

Its all about context really. X Factor is losing viewers yes, however the ratings in comparison to most shows are still really good. So I don't think its a case of urgent must be resolved now. Its kind of like Big Brother on Channel 5 the ratings are way down to what they used to be but for Channel 5 they are still pretty much better than anything they have bar CSI.

X Factor's biggest concern should be that there is less than a million viewers between The X Factor & The Voice average ratings for this year. X Factor also has a +1 to fall back on. It might be the people behind the show hoping to find a singer but the channel cares about ratings and its not too far from losing out to The Voice. (Though Rita Ora will probably undo a lot of Kylie's work to improve ratings...How is that a good substitute for Kylie? :()
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully it will end and something new and different will take its place. I stopped watching due to all the manipulation etc in Jedward's year. Only been watching this year for one contestant and have now removed it from my planner.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I see it continuing until 2016 (I believe that's when it's contract expires) and then it will be done. Maybe ITV should do what Fox is doing to Idol and cut its episode order.

4 Auditions (2x 90m, 2x 60)
    2 Bootcamp (60m)
    2 Judges Houses (60m)
    8 live shows (2 double evictions, 3 act final*)

Move it back so that it all happens on one night too.

*If I've worked it out correctly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see it continuing until 2016 (I believe that's when it's contract expires) and then it will be done. Maybe ITV should do what Fox is doing to Idol and cut its episode order.

4 Auditions (2x 90m, 2x 60)
    2 Bootcamp (60m)
    2 Judges Houses (60m)
    8 live shows (2 double evictions, 3 act final*)

Move it back so that it all happens on one night too.

*If I've worked it out correctly
    Yeah I think ITV will be reluctant to sign a new Contract. At the very least the budget for it will be cut back drastically. Which will probably be even worse because you can tell that they have had a fair few cuts already based on how rubbish the sets have been in the past few years in comparison to 2010 and beforehand.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really should find a way of revamping it, I think they should bring in new producers and really make some drastic changes.

I would keep Simon, Cheryl and Mel, but replace Louis.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will definately complete its current contract as it makes ITV millions
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I don't think they should waste any money trying to revamp it to be honest. I think the show is on a decline that is unlikely can be turned around.

Keep Mel, Simon and Cheryl, bring back Tulisa for the last two series, a shorter run and just let it run its course until series 13.
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,214
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    They really should find a way of revamping it, I think they should bring in new producers and really make some drastic changes.

I would keep Simon, Cheryl and Mel, but replace Louis.

The complete opposite for me, I would prefer Gary, Sharon and Nicole on the panel
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly my feeling is that it'll continue till 2019, ITV sign another three year contract in 2016 as ratings are still somewhat good but just with budget cuts and cutting the episodes down, then after 2019 the show is put to rest

I know most may not think this is possible but I can't see ITV axing the show within two years with the current ratings at 7 million that's still bloody good and it would be a risk if they get a new entertainment show which may not get higher than a 5 million peak
  • Options
    AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'What's Next For The X Factor?' More of the same for the next 10 years? :D

No, seriously, I think the show suffered many setbacks all at once:

1) The Manipulation of the show became obvious to everyone.

2) Winners having no Success, and Simon dropping every contestant from his Label regardless of how well they did or didn't do, to make way for the next batch.

3) Simon dumping the show for America - I hate Simon Cowell and think the show could easily survive without him, but practically saying to the entire country 'Bye losers I'm going where the real money is.' looked terrible in my opinion.

4) Gary Barlow - Sorry to any fans of his but I think he did a lot of damage to the show. The years he was 'in charge' were a complete turn off for me.

5) Far too many line up changes - The Judges simply changed far too often. People don't generally like too much change.

6) The 6 Chair Challenge - Quite possibly the worst, meanest, most distressing, ruthless mechanic ever to be introduced to a reality TV show. This year's was somehow worst of all. Poor Andrea burst into tears, everyone else looked like they'd been marched to the gallows. End this X Factor please.

7) Out of control audience - The booing other years and shouting the number of who should be chucked out of their chair this year. Awful.

Sorry for the long rant:D
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post JazzyJaney and very much on the money.

X Factor needs to go completely once its come to the end of the contract. It has become cheap and tacky and valueless. Its like watching ancient Romans with the poor Christians being fed to the lions and tearing into them and stamping on their heads. If you get into bed with the emperor he will manipulate the crowd to give you a thumbs up. All based on a whim of his. Even if you beat the lion he has the power to still manipulate the crowd and the senators to give a thumbs down in the hope that you creep out of the arena into obscurity.

The good thing though is that the public taste for such barbarism is declining. Hopefully we have moved on into a more civilised society to that of ancient Rome. Only a very few are left who really enjoy it. The gladiators (1D, OM) are trained up and they "pack arenas" to fuel those who follow the Emperor blindly. :D

Don't mind if it is replaced with another talent show, but would like to see real X factor not one contrived by an egotistical maniac who cares not a jot about people, culture or creativity.

:)
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As soon as they replace Louis it's all over.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs to reinvent itself. Its been basically the same since 2009. I also believe they'd been better off trying to stick with Gary Barlow and co.

Production standards are lowest right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    It needs to reinvent itself. Its been basically the same since 2009. I also believe they'd been better off trying to stick with Gary Barlow and co.

Production standards are lowest right now.

Agree with this.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need judges with integrity ie get rid of Simon and his puppet Louis. The manipulation is so transparent this year its become nauseating. For all his faults at least Gary was there for the right reasons and wouldn't insult our intelligence by giving a standing ovation to a second rate act. He also appreciated vocal skills when he saw a good singer and wouldn't try and con the public into voting for who he wanted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Here are my list of main reasons why the X factor is losing in ratings:

Firstly it has become a show that is more about the ENTERTAINMENT as oppose to the SINGING (which is what it once use to be about). The problem with this is that entertainment/shock value will only keep lots of viewers interested for a short period but in the end most viewers like myself would like to see DECENT singers who can actually give stellar performances which is something you cant expect out of a joke act

The whole audition/selection process of the x factor finalists has become increasingly predictable from way there are shown and how much airtime they are given and it is so much more obvious who the judges are favouring from the very beginning e.g. like Chloe Jasmine.

At the judges house most of the judges make lousy decisions and choose to put through acts who have more of the SHOCK/ENTERTAINMENT factor in a bid to increase ratings as oppose to the acts who are great singers with the most potential of being a popstar. Because of these decisions a lot of decent singers are rejected for rubbish ones and this disappoints a lot of viewers.

Adding from the previous point it has become an increasing necessity to have at least a few NOVELTY acts every year even though they have no chance of winning

Overuse of the same old SOB STORIES is getting really boring and irritating

e.g. I am still living with my parents, this is my last chance, i was bullied at school because i didn't fit in with the others, singing is my only passion in life, my family and myself are in financial ruins, i had a hard time growing up and music helped me or i have some deceased family member BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.................

The same old boring cliches and one liners used repeatedly by the contestants is getting boring and tedious

'Winning would mean the world to me'
    'I want to give my family a better life'
    'I have waited all my life for this'
    'I have to win this and make my friends/family proud'
    'This is my last chance'

You lot get the idea LOL

Not to mention the same old boring and monotonous themes being used again and again (big band week, love songs, number ones, MJ, Queen, Elton John) with the same old songs being sung repeatedly (Listen, lots of whitney houston ballads, somewhere over the rainbow, bridge over troubled water, most MJ, Queen and Elton songs, adele tracks etc)

Also all the never ending fix allegations which seem to be growing and are damaging the shows reputation (the public feel less and less in control of the results outcome) take last week for example with Paul's elimination and all the manipulation surrounding it.

SImon knows the show is not doing well as it used to (DESERVEDLY), if he wants this farce to still be on our TV screen then he needs to repackage this show and make some drastic changes or else it is doomed (NOTHING MORE TO SAY)
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    They need judges with integrity ie get rid of Simon and his puppet Louis. The manipulation is so transparent this year its become nauseating. For all his faults at least Gary was there for the right reasons and wouldn't insult our intelligence by giving a standing ovation to a second rate act. He also appreciated vocal skills when he saw a good singer and wouldn't try and con the public into voting for who he wanted.

Lol. Please... Gary is the same as all the others, happy to cash Simons checks. Remember Frankie? :D
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    Lol. Please... Gary is the same as all the others, happy to cash Simons checks. Remember Frankie? :D

Frankie was a loose cannon that no-one could control- hence getting himself kicked out. He was unpredictable no matter how Gary as his mentor tried to present him.

I doubt very much that Gary Barlow would have given Stevi a standing ovation for a very mediocre Phantom delivery or thrown a talent such as Paul under the bus - for no reason other than it suited his own purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CFCJM1 wrote: »
    Frankie was a loose cannon that no-one could control- hence getting himself kicked out. He was unpredictable no matter how Gary as his mentor tried to present him.

I doubt very much that Gary Barlow would have given Stevi a standing ovation for a very mediocre Phantom delivery or thrown a talent such as Paul under the bus - for no reason other than it suited his own purpose.

I would like Gary, Sharon and Nicole to return, replacing Simon, Cheryl and Mel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Urgh, not liking some of these "Bring back Nicole" ideas. I would rather eat dog excrement. Can't stand the woman.
  • Options
    MrsTabsMrsTabs Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    ok so remember way back when x factor was new what did we love??

The auditions

Most of them were awful and bloody funny and every now and then you got a good one - no backstory no filming in their kitchen ( so you know they got through)

Bootcamp showed everything, you saw them singing with and against eachother saw the daggers, saw the disasters - telly gold!

desicions were mostly agreed with good people went through and shit people went home

the finals, performances were about them singing well or not singing well - not overly loud backing tracks, or devious lighting or running order choices

In short it was better because we didn't know what would happen until we watched it

now it is so contrived, so over produced and so 'fixed' to get the result they want it really has run it's course

When we can predict what will happen and it does you know it has been done!

My opinion only