Options

Mouse

PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
Forum Member
My other half just said he didn't want to freak me out but he thinks he's just seen a mouse run in the sitting room. We live in the first floor flat of a converted house. Switched all the lights on and looked under the TV stand, sofa etc. Nothing.

I haven't seen any 'droppings' nor have I heard any scurrying sounds previously I don't think. But now I am F R E A K I N G O U T about possibly having a mouse in the flat.

Anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of them if I have. No flippant responses please as I am totally freaked at the moment and that'd send me over the edge.

Comments

• Options
    lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you freaking out? It's only a mouse...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lym wrote: »
    Why are you freaking out? It's only a mouse...

Because mice freak me out. If anyone has any ideas of how to get rid of them that would be great. Pls.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, the DS mouse expert here.:D We've had them on and off for years.:rolleyes: There won't be one mouse as they live in families. So if you've seen one there's probably a dozen or so.:eek: Buy some mouse traps or poison. Don't leave ANY food out as if they're finding food they're more likely to hang around.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew a mouse that lived on its own in the kitchen. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi, the DS mouse expert here.:D We've had them on and off for years.:rolleyes: There won't be one mouse as they live in families. So if you've seen one there's probably a dozen or so.:eek: Buy some mouse traps or poison. Don't leave ANY food out as if they're finding food they're more likely to hang around.

Ta. Well I haven't seen anything. And now OH is saying it might have been a spider (!) but I am too far gone about it now. Apparently he's not seen anything for a half-hour in the sitting room but I won't go in. We haven't seen any droppings etc. so I hope he was wrong but I am going to get some poison tomorrow.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Pretinama wrote: »
    ...Switched all the lights on . ...

That'll surely make them show themselves - or, maybe, scurry away to come back out when it's darker.
  • Options
    USIMUSIM Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We haven't seen any droppings etc. so I hope he was wrong but I am going to get some poison tomorrow.

Get traps rather than poison. With a trap you know whether you've caught it or not. With poison the mouse goes somewhere else to die, and then in a few months you move a piece of furniture to clean, and you find out where that was :eek:

If you are squeamish then live traps are less messy than the ones that kill. Although you do have to empty the trap later which you might find difficult if you don't like mice.

If you do use live traps then take them a couple of miles away to release, because mice have quite a good homing instinct and will get back in if you just release them outside.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    USIM wrote: »
    Get traps rather than poison. .

Awwww - it's only a mouse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fg7w49UnGA
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    USIM wrote: »
    Get traps rather than poison. With a trap you know whether you've caught it or not. With poison the mouse goes somewhere else to die, and then in a few months you move a piece of furniture to clean, and you find out where that was :eek:

If you are squeamish then live traps are less messy than the ones that kill. Although you do have to empty the trap later which you might find difficult if you don't like mice.

If you do use live traps then take them a couple of miles away to release, because mice have quite a good homing instinct and will get back in if you just release them outside.

I agree about the trapping bit but I'm afraid I'd go for the all out kill. It's not nice but it is effective.

Chocolate makes a good bait.

Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »
    That'll surely make them show themselves - or, maybe, scurry away to come back out when it's darker.

Nope, the light will keep them away. I remember a memorable trip to Louisiana years ago, when we were staying in the students' residences at Tulane University. The soap had obviously been nibbled by something, and there were big holes in the plasterboard of the walls, not to mention the gigantic (3 inch long) Louisiana cockroaches everywhere! We slept with the lights on for the whole stay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well if it keeps them away I'll have the lights on!

It's daft I know. But there aren't any scratch marks, droppings, or chewed cables that I can see. And we haven't heard any scrabbling about etc. So hopefully it wasn't a mouse.

I've bought a repellant that you plug into the wall and it sends out a sound/EM wave through the wires so hopefully that'll send them on their way. And some poison just in case.

Tonight's job will be cleaning the house from top to bottom *to be on the safe side* !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Another interesting point - don't think that shutting doors helps - a mouse can get through a space as small as the diameter of a pencil!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Get some Little Nipper killer traps, they never fail.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if it keeps them away I'll have the lights on!

It's daft I know. But there aren't any scratch marks, droppings, or chewed cables that I can see. And we haven't heard any scrabbling about etc. So hopefully it wasn't a mouse.

I've bought a repellant that you plug into the wall and it sends out a sound/EM wave through the wires so hopefully that'll send them on their way. And some poison just in case.

Tonight's job will be cleaning the house from top to bottom *to be on the safe side* !
    OP I really hope you don't have mice (I can't take them either) but I'm sorry to say I had a mouse in my home and hadn't see any droppings, chewed food/cables, etc either. At one point a mouse ran under a piece of furniture against a wall that had another piece of furniture on both sides of it and at only after we started to move the third one (and we had looked underneath as well) when it suddenly ran out. Them buggers can hide well.
    Apart from the buying of traps and poison, you could go through your home and block up any little unneeded hole or gap you find. You might just end up barring the way the mouse got in - but where you find one, you have to look for any other because if you don't find it, they will. Good luck. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    OP I really hope you don't have mice (I can't take them either) but I'm sorry to say I had a mouse in my home and hadn't see any droppings, chewed food/cables, etc either. At one point a mouse ran under a piece of furniture against a wall that had another piece of furniture on both sides of it and at only after we started to move the third one (and we had looked underneath as well) when it suddenly ran out. Them buggers can hide well.
    Apart from the buying of traps and poison, you could go through your home and block up any little unneeded hole or gap you find. You might just end up barring the way the mouse got in - but where you find one, you have to look for any other because if you don't find it, they will. Good luck. ;)

Ta for that! We're moving house next month anyhow but I don't want to pack any boxes in case any get in! (Assuming of course there is a mouse.) I bought an electronic deterrent that you plug into the wall which is supposed to make them run away. It has mixed results apparently but I got some poison too which I'll use in a day or so if I think it's still there. So we shall see.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only have a month left otherwise I would suggest don't bother with poison or humane traps. Just get the ones that kill 'em. And either chocolate or peanut butter is the best bait.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw something dark racing across our living room floor in the semi-darkness - boy did we freak out. We put the light on and saw it was a tiny vole. The next day we bought a humane trap, and left it out. Sure enough, we found it inside, surrounded by condensation, but perfectly alright. Took it in the car and let it out in a field a long way off from our home. I really couldn't have killed it in the other type of traps - too softhearted !
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    if there are no droppings their are no mice. Look under the kitchen units. Mice can't hurt you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    if there are no droppings their are no mice. Look under the kitchen units. Mice can't hurt you.
    I saw no droppings and I had a mouse. Yes they can't hurt but people still don't like them.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    You only have a month left otherwise I would suggest don't bother with poison or humane traps. Just get the ones that kill 'em. And either chocolate or peanut butter is the best bait.

Go for peanut butter they love it and if there is no mouse, it keeps well and can make a nice snack on toast.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way to really get rid of mice is to block off the holes they are getting in through. You can lay all the poison and traps you want but your dead mice will just be replaced with living ones.
  • Options
    King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had a mouse problem over the last months - just can't work out where they are coming from. We have been using the humane traps and caught 3 so far (using peanut butter inside). However the last one was obsessed by dried lasagne sheets - it bypassed everything else (including the peanut butter traps) to chew it's way to the pasta!

Anyone got any ideas as to how we can work out where they are coming from (we have already blocked up any holes we've seen and places like that, but they are still getting in)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    King_Mrh wrote: »
    We've had a mouse problem over the last months - just can't work out where they are coming from. We have been using the humane traps and caught 3 so far (using peanut butter inside). However the last one was obsessed by dried lasagne sheets - it bypassed everything else (including the peanut butter traps) to chew it's way to the pasta!

Anyone got any ideas as to how we can work out where they are coming from (we have already blocked up any holes we've seen and places like that, but they are still getting in)?
    Leaving a camera in the kitchen overnight?
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King_Mrh wrote: »

Rentokil told us they can even squeeze under your floorboards and through the edges of your carpets.:rolleyes: They can compress their bodies almost totally flat to squeeze through the smallest apertures.