Seth McFarlane - Hit or Miss?

TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought he was brilliant last night!

He's been getting a bit of stick for some of the jokes, but overall, I thought he did a crackin job.

Theres a poll here... http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/at-the-movies/a461340/oscars-2013-poll-seth-macfarlane-hit-or-miss.html

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen the opening but that was great .

I don't think any of the jokes were that controversial
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen the opening but that was great .

I don't think any of the jokes were that controversial

If you haven't seen it yet, the appearance by Ted is worth watching. He (presumably McFarlane?) delivers some quite offensive material with great relish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Oscars were above all that.

I like a bit of edgy humour but it seeping into everything now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We Saw Your Boobs has caused a huge debate. See the Guardian for example: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/feb/25/oscars-2013-seth-macfarlane

Some people think it was an insult to half the audience, some think it was a clever spoof, some are obsessed with the fact that some of the references in the song were to rape scenes, some don't even know who Seth McFarlane is! I thought it was a well-made joke but you need to understand that (look away until you've watched it)
    the "angry" reaction shots were pasted in and not real
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was the best host in recent years
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It wasn't as slick as in previous years. McFarlane seemed to want to be slightly the bad boy but I think he found the pressure of the OSCARs too much to go too far.

I just have the feeling that he wanted to be like Gervais at the Globes.

I'm a fan of his and not offended by any of his material I just thought it was out of place and didn't get the laughs. A drunk audience may have worked better.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I thought he was largely quite good, but he's getting the blame for the show's terrible production values. The pacing of the thing was so off, and some of the scheduling was quite bizzare so he had to work harder to maintain interest, which he probably just about managed. The intro was overly long too, but overall I'd say he did a good job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was mediocre.

Off topic, I know, but Kristen Stewart needs a good slap! She was a complete freak when she hosted an award with Daniel Radcliffe.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    http://youtu.be/hBV2DzS2NG0

We saw your boobs. Utter subversive genius!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Personally I found it boring. I'd heard all the "edgy" stuff before on his numerous animated shows and I thought, like some others, that his type of humour belonged at the Emmy's or MtV awards, not the Oscars. I would have liked to have seen someone who can be funny, current and interesting without needing to resort to tired shock-gags like the Rihanna/Chris Brown stuff. Eh...all very predictable and done-before.

I liked the show otherwise though, enjoyed seeing some of the presenters and thought alot of the right people won awards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Off topic, I know, but Kristen Stewart needs a good slap! She was a complete freak when she hosted an award with Daniel Radcliffe.

Agreed, I used to like her but she seems to be constantly having to force a smile. Still, she wasn't as bad as Joaquin Phoenix, that miserable prick needs to lighten up, I hope he doesn't get nominated for anything ever again after the way he looked last night. If you're so above the Oscars Mr Phoenix, don't bother going...

As for Seth, I thought he was great, miles better than Franco and Hathaway last year (I like them, but they were awful hosts).
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

I thought he was ok at the start but he drastically went downhill imo.

I prefer the host to be a seasoned actor that is on a more equal basis with the stars receiving awards.

I don't think that Billy Crystal will ever be bettered. I even liked Letterman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was mediocre.

I felt sorry for Daniel. He's always so professional and enthusiastic and clearly enjoyed being there and he has to go on with her.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was awful.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    A Still, she wasn't as bad as Joaquin Phoenix, that miserable prick needs to lighten up, I hope he doesn't get nominated for anything ever again after the way he looked last night. If you're so above the Oscars Mr Phoenix, don't bother going...

As for Seth, I thought he was great, miles better than Franco and Hathaway last year (I like them, but they were awful hosts).

Couldn't agree with this more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The opening from McFarlane was one of the best i've seen with the musical numbers, the appearance of james t kirk and flight with sock puppets.

Unfortunately, the rest never lived upto the opening. part of the problem is that there are so many guest presenters waffling on about nothing and trying to be funny that McFarlane struggled to put his stamp on it.

why is it that winners are told they can only speak for about a minute but the full-of-themselves presenters get to ramble on for what seems like ages?

Loved the christopher plummer intro, using the "sound of music" fanfare and spotlight on the door followed by a nazi rushing in shouting "he's gone!":D shame most of the audience didn't get it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revans9 wrote: »
    The opening from McFarlane was one of the best i've seen with the musical numbers, the appearance of james t kirk and flight with sock puppets.

Unfortunately, the rest never lived upto the opening. part of the problem is that there are so many guest presenters waffling on about nothing and trying to be funny that McFarlane struggled to put his stamp on it.

why is it that winners are told they can only speak for about a minute but the full-of-themselves presenters get to ramble on for what seems like ages?

Loved the christopher plummer intro, using the "sound of music" fanfare and spotlight on the door followed by a nazi rushing in shouting "he's gone!":D shame most of the audience didn't get it

I'd be surprised if most of the audience didn't get it.

I watched the ceremony again (well, we skipped through a lot of it) last night with my wife and I've changed my mind about Seth being mediocre. I think he was good and wonder if my original critique was skewed due to being incredibly tired when first watching. I actually think he could have pushed it further, but that said, I think he delivered a balanced performance which just about stayed on the right side of acceptance.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She was injured and clearly wincing in pain, give her a break. Wouldn't be surprised if she was actually a bit spaced out on painkillers. Regardless, she doesn't have to put on a fake simpering smile like half the other people did, especially when she was clearly struggling even to walk.

Anyway, back to Seth MacFarlane. I thought he was mediocre. The opening skit was far too long, even though it was obviously all a set-up it wasn't that funny. And some of his jokes were just poor - I'm not even American and I thought the Lincoln joke was in bad taste.

Some of his interludes were good, but he didn't even provide the funniest moment of the night - that was Daniel Day Lewis' bit about Meryl Streep in his speech :D
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was injured and clearly in a lot of pain, give her a break. Wouldn't be surprised if she was actually a bit spaced out on painkillers. Regardless, she doesn't have to put on a fake simpering smile like half the other people did, especially when she was clearly struggling even to walk.

Anyway, back to Seth MacFarlane. I thought he was mediocre. The opening skit was far too long, even though it was obviously all a set-up it wasn't that funny. And some of his jokes were just poor - I'm not even American and I thought the Lincoln joke was in bad taste.

Some of his interludes were good, but he didn't even provide the funniest moment of the night - that was Daniel Day Lewis' bit about Meryl Streep in his speech :D

So is she always in pain? Because she always acts like that, I don't think there's ever been a more miserable, ungrateful looking "star" as her. I can't bear her. She looks totally out of place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was injured and clearly wincing in pain, give her a break. Wouldn't be surprised if she was actually a bit spaced out on painkillers. Regardless, she doesn't have to put on a fake simpering smile like half the other people did, especially when she was clearly struggling even to walk.

So missed the shots of the audience then, which again showed her to be scruffy and with a "oh fcuk off" look on her face. It's not just the Oscars too. She is regularly seen looking completely disinterested, scruffy and ungrateful. If she's not careful, I think the studios will start looking elsewhere.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So missed the shots of the audience then, which again showed her to be scruffy and with a "oh fcuk off" look on her face. It's not just the Oscars too. She is regularly seen looking completely disinterested, scruffy and ungrateful. If she's not careful, I think the studios will start looking elsewhere.

She's also seen looking perfectly happy sometimes, but obviously that doesn't make headlines. And I do think some allowances should be made for the fact she was injured and clearly in pain - you mentioned her behaviour at the Oscars specifically, so that's what I replied to.

And she wasn't the only one who looked bored during the ceremony, wasn't an expression any different to what most people would have on their faces sitting watching a list of names be read out from an autocue.

I agree about the hair, but that could be solved by sacking her stylist. Besides, I'm pretty sure if your were in her position having stupid gossip written about you every day, then you'd feel a little self-conscious as well, knowing every time you blink someone's going to over-analyse, criticise and mock.

I like her because she clearly doesn't give a crap about all the Hollywood simpering and falseness and would rather just be herself even if that is a bit awkward and not smiley all the time. Heck, I know I'm pretty awkward and don't go around with a cheesy grin on my face and perfect make-up all the time, but I'm only human.

She and Jennifer Lawrence (and others, those are just the two that spring to mind) are much more down to earth than half of Hollywood, and that's always going to annoy some people who feel like they're owed a 'performance' constantly from people who are just like anyone else who isn't a movie star. Me, I respect them for not feeling the need to put on an act off-camera as well as on.

And all that is despite the fact I don't think Kristen Stewart is a great actress at all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's also seen looking perfectly happy sometimes, but obviously that doesn't make headlines. And I do think some allowances should be made for the fact she was injured and clearly in pain - you mentioned her behaviour at the Oscars specifically, so that's what I replied to.

And she wasn't the only one who looked bored during the ceremony, wasn't an expression any different to what most people would have on their faces sitting watching a list of names be read out from an autocue.

I agree about the hair, but that could be solved by sacking her stylist. Besides, I'm pretty sure if your were in her position having stupid gossip written about you every day, then you'd feel a little self-conscious as well, knowing every time you blink someone's going to over-analyse, criticise and mock.

I like her because she clearly doesn't give a crap about all the Hollywood simpering and falseness and would rather just be herself even if that is a bit awkward and not smiley all the time. Heck, I know I'm pretty awkward and don't go around with a cheesy grin on my face and perfect make-up all the time, but I'm only human.

She and Jennifer Lawrence (and others, those are just the two that spring to mind) are much more down to earth than half of Hollywood, and that's always going to annoy some people who feel like they're owed a 'performance' constantly from people who are just like anyone else who isn't a movie star. Me, I respect them for not feeling the need to put on an act off-camera as well as on.

And all that is despite the fact I don't think Kristen Stewart is a great actress at all!

I don't like her because she is sooo apathetic and does come across as very aloof, disinterested and frankly, rude, even when being interviewed about her own films.....which must irritate the hell out of studios. The Oscars was no exception and I can't cut her any slack for the way she behaved.

Sure, others also behave in a similar way - Joaquin Phoenix not only bad mouthed awards shows recently, but also looked disinterested and was seen head-bowed, shaking his head when up for the Best Actor award.

I enjoy the subtle nuances of the Oscars and will watch the ceremony a few times just to see what's going on off-stage - for example, I liked RDJ as when the audience seemed to react badly to something Seth would say, he'd gesture something like "no, come on!" and then clap him.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Joaquin Phoenix was very annoying. Why moan and slag the Oscars/awards off then attend?
    You either agree with them or don't. I couldn't believe the reaction to his name being mentioned.

I hear Kirsten Stewart likes the company of married men - she and Joaquin are a match made in heaven.

Overall the Oscars were ok but it wasn't a vintage year, the Best Pucture winner proved that. I think Seth MacFarlane could've been even more offensive to be honest. The annoying thing is that if it ha been exactly the same stuff but Steve Martin or Billy Crystal hosting, the critics would be loving it. I think Seth is almost the (relatively) new kid on the block so they were never going to gush over him on his first attempt.

The one thing that annoyed me was the awful Bond Tribute - if ever there was a missed opportunity! The Sky Movies Bond Channel TV trailer was 10 times better and more imaginative than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Onion has had to apologise for an Oscar-related tweet that made McFarlane's jokes sound very tame...

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/25/the_onions_vile_quvenzhane_wallis_tweet/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    The Onion has had to apologise for an Oscar-related tweet that made McFarlane's jokes sound very tame...

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/25/the_onions_vile_quvenzhane_wallis_tweet/

She was very irritating and I agree with what the British presenter said at the start of the red carpet show that it would be best for her if she didn't win.